Third Party Press

Thread: bcd45 LSR sniper blued , not parkerized

Default bcd45 LSR sniper blued , not parkerized

I have a question about the finish of a K98k bcd45 : a friend of mine showed me a bcd45 LSR sniper with blued finish, not parkerized. Only the bolt is phosphated . Other odd thing , the safety lever is a normal one shortened . The rifle looks all original , never refinished. Serial number of the rifle is 8xxx. It mounts a classic Dialytan bek in grey finish . Sorry , no photos available .
    So what I am asking now is : is it possible that Gustloff Werke at the end of production used again bluening on barrel/receiver?

Iíve never seen a legitimate blued bcd after about the Y block of bcd4. Itís possible your friends rifle was used postwar and refinished after the war as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.
    不要支持中国人用假投票推着我们的假总统。

Cool

If the metal hasn't been ruined by overzealous polishing you could always restore the phosphate if you can buy the rifle cheaply enough.

Keeper of the Def's Head M1903A3's Avatar

We would need to see the safety to determine if it is ďlegitĒ or not but I recently sold one of the Oberndorf made shortened sniper safeties on the trader here. They exist and are legitimate. Without photos itís impossible to be sure.

Sent from my top secret official Bunker of the Order of the Defís Hed.

Beavis Moderator Intern mdarnell19's Avatar

It is also unlikely that a bcd45 in that serial number range would have been completed as a Long Side Rail. Also, shouldn't be blued.

Years ago when I first joined I posted on a bcd4 slab side unfinished/rejected LSR that was blued. However, it had VOPO markings and would have been refinished.

I still have the rifle as it is very unique.

Long story IMHO likely a post-war re-work or potential fantasy piece. Tough to comment without pictures.

I know , it's tough to comment without pictures but unfortunately the owner don t want to share photos of his stuff . I can only add that i have a legit and correct bcd4 LSR Gustloff made and the one of this discussion, apart from the bluening and for the shortened safety lever , looks absolutely identical . I was hoping to see if any other similar rifle is in possession of someone of you friend Collectors , but now I deduct that this blued LSR is one of a kind.

Antonio, if he is worried due to the serial number he can either digitally paint over the serial or put a tape over the serial when taking pictures. This allows assessing the rifle without full identification of it. If he is not willing to do even that, my feeling is that he wants to hide something.

Georg , the owner don t want to sell , he only showed me the rifle , I don t think he has anything to hide , all the questions are coming from me because of the different finish . I was thinking that a possible explanation was the really late date of production , but no one here has seen anything similar , so the dubts remains.