Third Party Press

Gustloff KKW Gunbroker 7600?

WreckTangle

Mad Dog 20/20 Connoisseur (RIP Brother 06-05-203)
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/896467963

From our famous Gunbroker friend Gunsrc; I present to you a $7,600.. not a typo.... Gustloff.

ULTRA RARE OF THE ULTRA RARE, ONE OF 5 of 6...... yadda yadda.. I think I've seen at least 10 of these (rifles burned unit marked) since I've been a member here from some of the sticky posts, other members, or people that are "members" but only to join and ask 3 questions about their rifle and never post again.

Like OMGZORS!!!! FROM THE COLLECTION OF ROBERT SIMPSON!!!!! I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure Robert doesn't want to part with any of his rifles hence why they haven't moved 1-2+ years later on his website. Could be the $$$$ he is asking. But GEEZ, I never thought I'd be getting a super doper deal on a much cooler rifles at Simpson LTD.

I suppose nothing that was in the listing was untrue ? But, if Bob was watching Im sure he was quite upset he didnt pull that number on it instead of this guy.. I have seen a couple of these posted here one ended up on Fat bastards site maybe with an improved action as the original was lacking finish.. I think its up there for less ??? If you can believe that !!!

I like Bob S. but, never been a fan of his website I rarely even look there..

Point I think is Gunbrokers format if used/exploited properly will yield high numbers for these guys.. The price is very high I agree and I'm sure this could see repeat business @ simpson buying from his site and relisting on GB..

I suppose nothing that was in the listing was untrue ? But, if Bob was watching Im sure he was quite upset he didnt pull that number on it instead of this guy.. I have seen a couple of these posted here one ended up on Fat bastards site maybe with an improved action as the original was lacking finish.. I think its up there for less ??? If you can believe that !!!

I like Bob S. but, never been a fan of his website I rarely even look there..

Point I think is Gunbrokers format if used/exploited properly will yield high numbers for these guys.. The price is very high I agree and I'm sure this could see repeat business @ simpson buying from his site and relisting on GB..

Yea, he has had one listed on and off for the last year... I was like, you know this Gunbroker price is bonkers when even Fatso's clientele won't eat 5200 and that was what 2400 less than what this one went for... His clientele will buy anything...if in fact its real people buying real things... and not a shell game to make it look like he has hot items.

Simpson is not all innocent in this pump and dump stuff either, I've bid on items on Proxibid, only to lose them and then somehow someway over the next few weeks the exact item shows up on Simspon's website.... or he is flipping it under their Gunbroker handle.

I suppose things are worth what you will pay for them...IMHO, I just couldn't justify +7k for a Unit marked Gustloff....There are lots of unit marked trainers and to say that ONLY 3-5 KNOWN IN PRIVATE HANDS is pretty easy considering how many units there were, how often they are reported. And how often the reported ones are the same unit.. Morphys had a Walther KKW in mint+ condition that had a really sweet SA unit marked painted on the right side of the rifle handguard... it went for 2700ish out the door including buyers premium in late Nov. 2019.... Worth more than the gustloff posted above, at least to me. I mean if someone were to say you could have only this or that, I'd pick the Walther.

IMO, the Waddy gang and other dealers have "followers" that believe what they read/told ... repeat customers who feel comfortable over paying when they have confidence in the over-the-hyberbole gang.

Simpson is not all innocent in this pump and dump stuff either, I've bid on items on Proxibid, only to lose them and then somehow someway over the next few weeks the exact item shows up on Simspon's website.... or he is flipping it under their Gunbroker handle.

I bid at an online auction a year or maybe it is two years ago where you could see the bidders location. I bid against Simpson on at least 20 items, every time me being the second highest bidder, and he winning the bid. Within weeks the items started showing up on his website, most were 4-5 times what he paid. I could not have marked them up 30% and sold them.

You have to understand to the majority of items on the website are not his inventory. It costs him employee time and labor to get them listed, but no cost for the product. When it sells he takes his commission.

We tried to do business once, until I found out (possibly by accident from one of his employees) that he had no intention of paying me for that product until it sold. That is how they do business. That is not how I do business.

I know Bob Simpson well having been a friend of his for many years.

Yes he will bid an auction up to set the bar high on values and to determine what the market will bear. Also to obtain the best examples he can find for his collection.

His collection is a portion of his 401K. I think most us collectors look upon our collection as such.

As for him ghost bidding/selling (if I understand that comment) I have never seen any evidence of that.

Naturally part of his agenda for doing the Trainer book was to enhance appreciation and interest in the guns (and subsequently value).

The same thing happened with 98k's when "Backbone" came out again with Bruce and Farb's work.

For those entering the collecting field of trainers that of course makes the going tough. I can understand some resentment.

Yes I find the prices on his website almost beyond belief when I used to buy them all day long for a couple hundred dollars. Those prices however are no real indicator of what he may actually have sold the gun for. Setting the bar high, seeing what the market will bear.

As well as a collector, Bob is a shrewd businessman. He is a self made man selling firearms. He never would have achieved what he has over 50 or more years without doing business scrupulously. Hence many repeat customers.

As for his selling guns on commission only, that is well stated in the terms on his website and is pretty much the norm with most dealers of high end collectables. His rates are modest compared to say - Rock Island Arsenal or Barret - Jackson.

I have always know him to be a honest and generous person, willing to share information. From day 1 of my research even when my intent was to publish my own book, he has granted me un-limited access to his collection.

I felt compelled to respond to some of these critical remarks as an obligation to a good friend and fine gentleman.

I too have known the Simpsons for 30+ years and I echo everything Mauser22 stated. Bob has a great reputation both here and in Europe as an honest and respected dealer. The vast majority of items on his website are consignments where the consignee sets the price. His site averages around 10,000 hits a day and you never know what you will see pop up there. Even better is visiting the shop which is like walking into a museum. I've recently become interested in German small bore rifles and trainers and he has something for everyone budget. I have gotten some really good bargains in his shop and my only problem with the trainers he's now selling is that once I buy one I'll find another that I have to have. Now if you're a Luger collector and you stop in you'll soon feel like a junkie in a pharmacy. I'm an old guy and have been to a lot of gun shops over the last 60 years of collecting and no shop even comes close to Simpsons.

I too have known the Simpsons for 30+ years and I echo everything Mauser22 stated. Bob has a great reputation both here and in Europe as an honest and respected dealer. The vast majority of items on his website are consignments where the consignee sets the price. His site averages around 10,000 hits a day and you never know what you will see pop up there. Even better is visiting the shop which is like walking into a museum. I've recently become interested in German small bore rifles and trainers and he has something for everyone budget. I have gotten some really good bargains in his shop and my only problem with the trainers he's now selling is that once I buy one I'll find another that I have to have. Now if you're a Luger collector and you stop in you'll soon feel like a junkie in a pharmacy. I'm an old guy and have been to a lot of gun shops over the last 60 years of collecting and no shop even comes close to Simpsons.
I want to get up to his place one of these days, will have to plan a few days.. from some limited pictures that I've seen it looks like trainer heaven. Welcome to the trainer club, they are tons of fun. Everyone rags that they are single shot until they actually get behind one and then they are in love. There are so many makers and the fonts make it hard for people that don't know what trainers are to know what they have. Your right, you can get some nice trainers for fairly cheap and if your vigilant even a rare one!

Military Rifle Journal
Back