Third Party Press

Chapter 6: Erfurter Maschinenfabrik & Feinmechanische Werke “Feima” Pages 446-468

ugafx4

I buy capture paper guns
Staff member
Chapter 6: Erfurter Maschinenfabrik & Feinmechanische Werke “Feima” Pages 446-468

I thought that AX code 1940 rifles were more scarce than 27 code but based on production numbers that does not seem to be correct. Erma has a nice aesthetic about production.

My e block 3642 is a 27 rifle. I'd always thought they were somehow less desireable than an AX marked piece. In any case they are beautifully built. And super well marked. I don't know where the exact cut was but it's pretty close.

I'll add that although Erma is known as an 'in house' producer mine has both the butt plate and band spring e/37 marked. At some point those (and a few others) start showing up in production. I kind of believe this was a forced move as there were probably some rationalizations related to overproduction of those parts and possibly the upcoming move by Erma to production of other weapons systems? Seems legit at least in my mind. You'll also find other minor parts (like e/4 marked cleaning rod nuts) sprinkled in.

My e block 3642 is a 27 rifle. I'd always thought they were somehow less desireable than an AX marked piece. In any case they are beautifully built. And super well marked. I don't know where the exact cut was but it's pretty close.

I agree with all the above. Well marked and beautifully built is a great way to put it. The book estimates 27 1940 at 61,200 and ax 1940 at 70,700. 10k doesn't sound that significant, but when you factor in losses and how many probably made it back over here, it matters.

I think probably the most interesting ax rifles are the luftwaffe contract pieces. So far only one ax41 luftwaffe rifle is known that rifle is in my collection. I did find an ax 1940 luftwaffe contract rifle for sale last year and it was a bolt mismatch that was the first one I have ever seen.

So I'm really curious how many were actually contracted to the luftwaffe

This Berthold Geipel dude sounds like a defense industry grifter from modern times (p. 446-447).

Makes sense that the "ERMA" and "Feima" production lines for K98k rifles were the same, i.e. in the same facility. they look exactly the same except for the roll mark.

Military Rifle Journal
Back