Third Party Press

Throw the buyer under the bus!

Bob in OHIO

Not the sellers fault... as he liquidates his father's collection... but what about the buyer/ bidders (2)... WTF are they thinking?? Isn't there enough picture info given to create a full stop... ($1775 + tax)

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/896908108

Attachments

• Stop 1.jpg
    Stop 1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Stop 2.jpg
    Stop 2.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Stop 3.jpg
    Stop 3.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 170
  • Stop 4.jpg
    Stop 4.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Stop 5.jpg
    Stop 5.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 156
i guess in the grand scheme of things it really doesnt matter. People have money to blow and they are blowing it on whatever... Saves the rest of us when were buying .

More than enough photos to determine what this is or isnt. Is the sellers "story" real ???? does not matter.... We could make a full time job out of pointing out stupidity on GB. :facepalm:

Plenty of photos with enough information to make an easy call on this one. I don’t blame the seller, as a buyer you have more responsibility to check what you are buying in this type of instance. Not much different than buying at an estate sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference in bidder / buyer culpability is a bit based upon the seller. On one hand we have the “high end” dealer running multiple carnival barked awkshuns on Gunbonker, pulling ridiculously high prices (some legitimate, some the result of obvious shill bidding fraud). Then, we have the individual seller listing on Gunbonker who is legitimately ignorant and sometimes posts lots of pics to make up for it. A buyer is justified in relying upon the descriptions set forth by a dealer of such things.

Pardon my ignorance here, but are you saying they paid too much for this particular piece? It seems to be all matching serial #'s, authentic sling and an early production version. Stock is not perfect but its still has the serial #'s. What makes it a bad purchase?

Pardon my ignorance here, but are you saying they paid too much for this particular piece? It seems to be all matching serial #'s, authentic sling and an early production version. Stock is not perfect but its still has the serial #'s. What makes it a bad purchase?

Pretty much everything you said in the above statement. It's ALL wrong.

Your ignorance is pardoned.. But, in this case there are so many unknown layers its impossible to know what's real and what isn't without further investigation. I for one wont spend my precious free time trying to learn if said dealer was ignorant as to the item he was selling was correct or not.. He can play dumb and list it for what he sees and not know. Or , not its bad and play dumb. At its base its a Russian capture k98k anyone with a minute sense of knowledge should know this by the largely Planted X on the receiver and the ser. # on the side of the stock. That's where it ends for me.. The rest is moot.

If you want to pay almost 2k for a RC k98k go for it. If the buyer didn't know that's on him and if he posts it anywhere he will know soon enough.. My 2 cents/

This one is on the buyer basically. The pics are quite good and show that it is a frankenhumper, pimped, wanked, renumbered, and refinished. It's worth far less than an untouched RC. I put the value at about $500-600 for a low end reenactor piece. If the bore is mint and it headspaces I guess you could bed the stock and try to see how accurate it would be. It's the next worse thing to a Mitchells Mauser. Had the bolt been polished white along with a gold sealed certificate it would be as bad.

Hopefully you weren’t the buyer.

No sir, it wasn't me...I just wanted to understand what made it a bad purchase. I was not aware of the RC angle but just read a few posts about them. I was not aware that they faked serials, etc... Now I am. I also understand the seller pushed those features that people look for like matching serial numbers (and correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the "matching serial" on the stock should be on the bottom not the side) and did not mention the RC angle. Certainly a learning experience for me.

Plenty of photos with enough information to make an easy call on this one. I don’t blame the seller

Nor do I. And whether he's "playing" dumb or honestly ignorant, that doesn't enter into it:

"I'm selling my late father's collection of mostly WWI and WWII era guns and militaria. I am not an expert on these rifles but have undertaken the task of selling them. I will include many detailed photographs so you can get a good idea of condition and features of each item."

There it is, and there are the photos. Sharp clear ones too, he hasn't hidden a thing. Caveat emptor, pass or play.

Richie

..I was not aware that they faked serials, etc... Now I am.

Ok fair enough. I thought for sure you were either clowning us or a troll. We've been getting some of that lately. Yeah it's not good from a historic standpoint. Yup it IS in fact a German Mauser rifle. And that's about it.

No sir, it wasn't me...I just wanted to understand what made it a bad purchase. I was not aware of the RC angle but just read a few posts about them. I was not aware that they faked serials, etc... Now I am. I also understand the seller pushed those features that people look for like matching serial numbers (and correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the "matching serial" on the stock should be on the bottom not the side) and did not mention the RC angle. Certainly a learning experience for me.

One thing we all have in common is we are all born with No knowledge of anything.. It all has to be taught or learned. We cant fault anyone for not knowing. If that's your case this is the best place to learn. We have so many Newbies here
showing up with their proud new trophies only to be told they had been had either knowingly or not but a seller.. Some sellers are just as clueless as their buyers..

I do believe this wholeheartedly. Most ended up with bad items from relatives or purchases in the past. One thing about today you can learn in weeks what it took some 20 years to know..

Wow they did a bad enough job that even I could laugh at it on first glance!!! I hope they find the forum sooner rather than later.

I'm not so willing to let the seller off the hook. As noted, he has been on this board and gun boards looking for info about these guns and was given plenty of info, none of which made it into the description. "Playing dumb" for sure. Fault lies on both sides of this deal.

I'm not so willing to let the seller off the hook. As noted, he has been on this board and gun boards looking for info about these guns and was given plenty of info, none of which made it into the description. "Playing dumb" for sure. Fault lies on both sides of this deal.

The internet holds no secrets.. So Bob's point to start the thread is semi moot. This guy reached out and found out what he had and played dumb... See we already had figured it out collectively and didn't even know it yet.. :thumbsup:

Nor do I. And whether he's "playing" dumb or honestly ignorant, that doesn't enter into it:

"I'm selling my late father's collection of mostly WWI and WWII era guns and militaria. I am not an expert on these rifles but have undertaken the task of selling them. I will include many detailed photographs so you can get a good idea of condition and features of each item."

There it is, and there are the photos. Sharp clear ones too, he hasn't hidden a thing. Caveat emptor, pass or play.

Richie

That guy was also on this forum. He inherited quite a large gun collection and really didn't knew much on them. I understand him trying to get the maximum for a sale, but the way he did it on forums was not OK. Basically he was admittedly advertising he was going to sell them, asking for help re pricing and information on the rifles generally, at the same time taking offers and then selling at the highest blind bid he got. That upsets people. I therefore told him he should stop that and he should rather put the items on gunbroker with as many pictures as possible and do penny auctions, because people then can see what they get and it is up to them and not to him to research the object of interest in every little detail.

Imagine you inheriting a large collection of something you know next to nothing (stamps, coins, paintings, etc.), but when trying to find out on those you notice that you'd need to learn so much upon that you however have no interest in, notice way too much work to research every single item and do not want to upset all persons who might find themselves in a silent auction. An online auction with basically pictures as description and an offer to do the best would also be the same thing I'd try. Of course he could do better, but compared to what he did earlier he advanced plus he is trying his best.

Military Rifle Journal
Back