Third Party Press

Matching Sauer Long Side Rail 8431U

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the additional pics. I was just wondering if it’s got the WaA37 somewhere on the bottom? Was not aware of the repair, but as the others have said, it can probably be fixed reasonably well. That’s a tough gun to find, so I’m sure you’re happy to own it.

Cheers,
Chris

Brian, that's a gorgeous sniper.

Thanks Peter for your interest and reply. I am still on the look out for a Single Claw Rifle and Scope or just a scope. There is a guy I know who is selling his rifle and scope. It's just a matter of time.

Brian, I hope you get a scope matching SS DC first - you know why :laugh:

Seriously, looking forward to that SC you are after. I'm sure you'll be able to present it to us in here and wish you best luck in getting it fast!

Brian, I hope you get a scope matching SS DC first - you know why :laugh:

Seriously, looking forward to that SC you are after. I'm sure you'll be able to present it to us in here and wish you best luck in getting it fast!

Thanks Georg.

Last edited:
Nice

Thanks Chris for your reply. Yes, I am not at all concerned about the small repair. Every rifle has a story to tell and most are not 100% perfect. There are a few perfect ones, but even those have some issue if you were to look hard enough. The vet probably brought this home as a war trophy that could be used to hunt deer. Luckily he took good care of it and really didn't ruin it from an overall collector stand point.

As collectors we are interested in every aspect of a rifle. So, I was already trying to figure how I was going to tell the whole story here. I was not concerned about the keel area, but I'm sure some would be. It had very little significance to me, so it was not a natural thing to work into my thoughts when posting this rifle. This rifle was a huge upgrade from my previous Sauer LSR that I currently have for sale in the trader here (https://www.k98kforum.com/showthrea...Sauer-Long-Side-Rail-w-Machine-Ring-DOW-Scope), so I am more than satisfied with the rifle posted in this discussion.

I am still going to look for a matching base rifle Sauer LSR, just to hang scopes on though. Maybe I'll find one. Who knows. That's part of the fun. Most of this you already know I’m sure and I was just offering my explanation or thoughts. Thanks for your interest.

a little putty repair....you got to be kidding...that has NO effect on this amazing piece.......

a little putty repair....you got to be kidding...that has NO effect on this amazing piece.......

Yes, that is what it appears to be. I think it is a very shallow repair spot. I am going to have that spot fixed more professionally in time. Get rid of the putty at least. This is the way I got it though and I did not want people to think I put the putty there. I was going to either do it myself or pay someone to blend in a piece of white glue laminate stock in that area. I don't know. I am going to take my time and think about it.

To me it was no different than a duffle repair or anything else like it. I really see it as a insignificant part of this rifle. I did not care about the repair. Probably done by the vet or previous owner. Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Yes, that is what it appears to be. I think it is a very shallow repair spot. I am going to have that spot fixed more professionally in time. Get rid of the putty at least. This is the way I got it though and I did not want people to think I put the putty there. I was going to either do it myself or pay someone to blend in a piece of white glue laminate stock in that area. I don't know. I am going to take my time and think about it.

To me it was no different than a duffle repair or anything else like it. I really see it as a insignificant part of this rifle. It is a small hit in value maybe to some people. I did not care about the repair. Probably done by the vet or previous owner. Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm like you in that I think it'd be best to make the sling swivel cut/putty job disappear. The rifle is nice enough to be put right. If I was the one doing it, I'd probably ask Clay as to what would be the best approach.
:happy0180:

Over all condition is very nice , the nicest part imo is that its a 100% optics/mount matching LSR . Very tough to find an all matching machined ring LSR this one is 1 of 6 such LSR`s I know of . As for the sling swivel cutout it could be fixed and fixed so it was almost unnoticeable . Clay is certainly more than capable of such a repair . Nice addition to the collection your collection .

Thanks Georg. That SS DC and an Elm Stock Low Turret I have are two of my favorites. If I could only keep two then those would be my last ones. You have so many hard to find rifles that I would think that SS DC would be small potatoes to you by now.

Your SS DC has one feature that makes it unique worldwide: it is the same manufacturer, same year and most important, the same serial (except for suffix) as my SC sniper rifle. And to have two Steyr 1943 made sniper rifles with different scope mounts but the same serial is a thought that I cannot get rid of :thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back