Third Party Press

Great Grandfathers Information from the archives

Rutche

I recently sent information about my Great Uncle. I now have some of the information about my Great Grandfather.

Looks like he was in Newabogen, Nikolskoye south of Leningrad during the siege, where he lost his leg after an assault by Soviet* Troops.
Maybe someone can get more from these Documents including regiment names.

Kartei.jpg
Lazarett.jpg
Verwundungs Blatt.jpg
Verwundung Blatt 2.jpg
Man is it hard to read the Lazarett Notices.
German Cursive+ doctors handwriting
Im super surprised at how fast i received these Domcuments, and im very happy with the quality of service and overall friendliness of the archives

Last edited:
I dug a little deeper on the regiment. They were there, but the rest of the division was not. The 538 infanterie Regiment at The Neva were absorbed by an SS kampfgruppe called Kampfgruppe Jeckeln

That makes sense.
And this also an example that the "Lexikon" is a work in progress, nevertheless it is a great online tool for amateur research.

Yea its quite interesting for a wehrmacht unit to be in an SS-Kampfgruppe. I have an "order of battle" document from the Kampfgruppe
1942-05-05 KGr Jeckeln.jpg
I also found this Photo showing wehrmacht soldiers with what looks like SS camo smocks, it is in the Newabogen aswell same time my Great Grandfather would've been there
fue-stelle-5te-kp-newa-bogen--august-1942.jpg

Last edited:
Jeckeln was a notorious warcriminal and he and his men had a bad reputation, being attached to his unit wasn't exactly becoming a part of an elite unit.
That said, in the period your ancestor served with them, they were involved in regular combat, Police units weren't equipped or trained for frontline service, so for this task they needed the support of regular WH units.

Right, not an elite unit by any means. I was just surprised for a lack of a better word, that the Wehrmacht would've allowed a regiment to be "taken" into an SS Kampfgruppe, but it would make sense to have regular infantry.

Yup the area is what i gathered from my little research.
Now here is an interesting thing. according to my Grandmother,
My Great Grandfather returned home, after being wounded and left again again during the war,
she said that he want back to the war.
I find this a little but unlikely since he was missing a leg due to his combat injury.
Is it known or possible that he went back to the front, or maybe a rear line support role, perhaps training troops?

Well if you look at the detailed notice, he was discharged from hospital end of February 1943 and came back end of June 1943.
Do you know when he lost his leg ? Perhaps it happened the second time (or third time as there's an entry dated 1941) he was wounded.

I do believe it was the last entry where he lost his leg. So in september 6 1942, near leningrad. The first time i think says scarlet fever in German ”Scharlach“

Thanks for sharing! Which archive supplied these files? As I understand it, the Deutsche Dienststelle has now been absorbed by the BAMA Freiburg - are they already taking research requests at their new home?

As to going back into service with missing limbs, it's certainly not unheard of. The unit I study had a Regiments Kdr who was discharged after a frontline injury that cost him an arm. A couple of years later, he was brought back in to return to his old station - short on field grade officers, I guess. He was subsequently KIA.

Thanks! I contacted the Personenbezogene Auskünfte section at the Bundesarchiv in Freiburg. They are still working on my request as well. They are sending it to other branches MA, and BE. I'm excited to hear more. I might have to ask about even more people in my Family, Im really happy with the work.

Military Rifle Journal
Back