Third Party Press

Superrifle Blondie: bnz45

Absolut

While the thread title is a bit more of an allusion to a YouTube channel with the rifle not being a superb nice sample, but at least it is a real super-blondie!

That thing recently was found on an attic, well hidden, but not this well protected. Hence the last decades made the stock super light, so it really deserves the attribution "blondie". Some timber worms obviously found a new home in it as well, but rather this way than a sanded stock. It is quite of a textbook rifle (at least to me), for what I know the q-block of bnz 44 was already produced in 1945. It is quite an early q-block as well with a three digit serial - funnily I've had an o-block (so earlier) that was also already in KM configuration whereas another bnz44 q-block in the 3xxx serial range had a normal (non KM) stock, plus another one a bit later being a KM again. The stock of this rifle here is in full Kriegsmodell configuration. Cocking piece is also serialized. Interestingly the bolt lacks the side locking lug, but still has the oval (non-round) gas escape holes, so a bit of "in between". Note the super-crude sling swivel cutout, I'd almost bet it was issued with a clothing sling originally.

I know it is nothing special, but thought I should nevertheless post it for reference.

Edit: for whatever reason it didn't upload the last pic, showing the trigger guard.

Attachments

• bnz44_01.jpg
    bnz44_01.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 93
  • bnz44_02.jpg
    bnz44_02.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 105
  • bnz44_03.jpg
    bnz44_03.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 100
  • bnz44_05.jpg
    bnz44_05.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 124
  • bnz44_06.jpg
    bnz44_06.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 144
  • bnz44_07.jpg
    bnz44_07.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 102
  • bnz44_08.jpg
    bnz44_08.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 129
  • bnz44_09.jpg
    bnz44_09.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 174
  • bnz44_10.jpg
    bnz44_10.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 151
  • bnz44_10.jpg
    bnz44_10.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
While the thread title is a bit more of an allusion to a YouTube channel with the rifle not being a superb nice sample, but at least it is a real super-blondie!

That thing recently was found on an attic, well hidden, but not this well protected. Hence the last decades made the stock super light, so it really deserves the attribution "blondie". Some timber worms obviously found a new home in it as well, but rather this way than a sanded stock. It is quite of a textbook rifle (at least to me), for what I know the q-block of bnz 44 was already produced in 1945. It is quite an early q-block as well with a three digit serial - funnily I've had an o-block (so earlier) that was also already in KM configuration whereas another bnz44 q-block in the 3xxx serial range had a normal (non KM) stock, plus another one a bit later being a KM again. The stock of this rifle here is in full Kriegsmodell configuration. Cocking piece is also serialized. Interestingly the bolt lacks the side locking lug, but still has the oval (non-round) gas escape holes, so a bit of "in between". Note the super-crude sling swivel cutout, I'd almost bet it was issued with a clothing sling originally.

I know it is nothing special, but thought I should nevertheless post it for reference.

this is what happens to raw plywood from long term moisture exposure nothing more or less.. Dry and bleached for lack of a better term.. Same thing would happen to any piece of plywood left in the same conditions.
The rifle is a great find I love large font BNZ 44's and this q block rifles is one of my favorites.

Leave as be. You are still finding great stuff hidden away in Europe which is amazing !!!

..Some timber worms obviously found a new home in it as well, but rather this way than a sanded stock..

I couldn't agree more. They don't bother me as they're quite small. It is nice still seeing these 'finds' coming out. Congrats

Guess I don’t get the logic here.
We have a piece of history - “mistreated” post-war - to the point where the stock is cracking (and I bet if you took the action out you’d find a real disaster of rust and rot if moisture was the issue) and “leave it be” is the thing to do? To further self-destruct as if the post-war damage is of historical significance?
And this isn’t meant as a early morning snark - I’ve had my coffee - but I really don’t get it.

We have a piece of history - “mistreated” post-war - to the point where the stock is cracking (and I bet if you took the action out you’d find a real disaster of rust and rot if moisture was the issue) and “leave it be” is the thing to do? To further self-destruct as if the post-war damage is of historical significance?
And this isn’t meant as a early morning snark - I’ve had my coffee - but I really don’t get it.

Good god, you seem to have a problem with all stocks from my rifles. Already the S/42 from 1936 bothered you a lot since you suggested a complete overhaul, as well as this rifle seems to be way too problematic for you - what makes you think this one was mistreated, since no one did anything with it, it was just stored away. The rifle was out of the action prior to taking the pictures, all rust was removed and everything was conserved so that it will stay the way it is.

To what end? I stand by my comments. I can CLEARLY see he's addressed any rust issues. As for the stock, I see the crack. I bet it's in the surface laminate. But again... what to do? Epoxy? Polyureathane? Filler for the worm holes? That would be ruining it in my eyes. Do a search for Miltech. They're products are really what I"m thinking you expect?

There a disconnect. In the US this rifle is not the typical collectible condition, but in Europe these barn finds have a place. They don’t shoot every rifle they own like a lot of US collectors seem to want. It’s like the ground dug helmets you see on eBay, they have historical significance but seem like rusty junk.

Does it have a phosphate byf trigger guard assembly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There a disconnect. In the US this rifle is not the typical collectible condition, but in Europe these barn finds have a place. They don’t shoot every rifle they own like a lot of US collectors seem to want.

I think you're on to something here. That's why I mentioned Miltech because that's their 'thing'. Safe to shoot and 'like new'.

I was commenting based of the information I had.
If, with what I thought to be possibly ongoing damage, has been mitigated then fine.
It’s someone’s rifle not mine. Collect away.
It’s just I’ve seen too many “mint rifles” that have received surface (“eyeball”) preservation and that is all. I will state further that I have yet to come across any WW2 rifle that wasn’t a rusty mess/dry rotting wood under the butt plate.

With that said mrfarb has me nailed to a “T” so to speak.
I wouldn’t own a rifle I couldn’t shoot. But bless those who collect them for historical reference.

Last edited:
I’ll just comment on that fabulous rifle. I love it just as it is and I think anything other than addressing any corrosion would only degrade it. She’s an absolute gem in her current state. Thank you sharing her with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There a disconnect. In the US this rifle is not the typical collectible condition, but in Europe these barn finds have a place. They don’t shoot every rifle they own like a lot of US collectors seem to want. It’s like the ground dug helmets you see on eBay, they have historical significance but seem like rusty junk.

Does it have a phosphate byf trigger guard assembly?
Something went wrong during upload, I added the pic of the phosphate byf trigger guard.

It surely isn't a mint rifle. But I prefer one like this over something you'd call "Mitchell Grade".

Re shooting, you are correct in that by law the rifles for shooting would need a CIP valid firing proof. This would not be a problem, but then most collectors do not want it since they consider it less interesting for having a post war stamp. Some don't bother and nevertheless shoot them. I for my side have a handful rifles that I'm using for shooting since I have too little time to shoot all of my guns - and going to the range every time with a different rifle wouldn't be fun.

Well I for one love the stocks on all your rifles! This one gets me even with the damage and rust - I never grew out of the blondie love phase every 98k collector seems to hit as they get educated up through the info of the 80's and beyond, I just learned enough to avoid the fakes.

Hi Absolut,
I'm curious about what you infer regarding the color : "the last decades made the stock super light". Mauser99 seems to agree. I have never tried to leave plywood/laminate in a humid environment for years : does time and humidity real do this ?
I would have assumed that being a rifle made in 1945, its owner did not have the opportunity to oil the stock several times or leave it outdoors exposed to rain and sun, hence the color has not been altered much since it left the factory (mint rifles have "blonde" stocks, right?)

Edit: I shall have first said that I like the rifle and saving it from the attic is a good deed. KM rifles are rare in France, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
As others have already mentioned, I love seeing these discoveries on the continent. Very interesting rifle and a neat find, congratulations!

Pat

After looking at these photos a few times I've come to to believe that whoever cleaned up the metal, also used the good old "Easy Off Oven Cleaner" trick on the stock.:sorry:

The person who cleaned the metal didn't clean the stock. Because it was me who cleaned the metal, and all I did was to remove superficial rust.

The rifle was not stored moist but really dry on an attic, of course with the change of temperature. Maybe it didn't receive this much oil either, and that helped it get this dry and light.

The person who cleaned the metal didn't clean the stock. Because it was me who cleaned the metal, and all I did was to remove superficial rust.

The rifle was not stored moist but really dry on an attic, of course with the change of temperature. Maybe it didn't receive this much oil either, and that helped it get this dry and light.

Many years ago I used that very technique on a non collectable, German 98k laminated stock and came out with this exact dirty blonde fuzzy wood effect. The only way I can think of other than chemically to get this appearance is many years of exposure to intermittent moisture and direct, evenly distributed solar radiation and I don't see that happening sitting in a dark attic. I can see that you did all that you could with the metal and honestly I don't know what else could have been done to improve the appearance of the wood, I must admit it does have an interesting look to it, although I would have loved to have seen it before it was cleaned. The only thing I've ever found to remove the rust stains is repeated applications of Oxalic Acid solution, but this would make the wood look way too good for the condition of the metal in this case. All in all, I enjoyed the rifle and thank you kindly for sharing it.
:happy0180:

An attic does not necessarily mean dark; I didn't take it from that attic personally, but given the rifles condition I would not have a reason to doubt it was there. No oven cleaner was used on that stock - I once used that stuff on a heavily painted stock myself, I know how it works. I can understand though that the contrast of a rust stopped metal and a super dry stock is more extreme since one item is preserved again and the other one left pretty much in original state. Maybe I should had given the stock a cover of oil and then had posted it, given the reactions in here.

Maybe I should had given the stock a cover of oil and then had posted it, given the reactions in here.

Not sure where that is coming from. I think we are seeing the limitations of the texted word.
But ultimately it’s your gun (one of my misunderstandings from the OP) so you can do what you like. Leave alone or oil (preserve). It’s all up to you.
I’d oil dry wood but that’s me.

Military Rifle Journal
Back