Third Party Press

1944 dot - What Should Be There?

delican_38

Evening, all,

I’m currently looking to see what’s on the market for my first K98k and came across what appears to be a very nice 1944 Waffen Werke Brunn/“dot” example for sale. While all visible numbers are factory matching and the gun has not been refurbished, the rifle does not have a cleaning rod with it.

With this considered, I’m wondering if this rifle would’ve came from the factory like this (given it was made in the later part of the war), or is it just a matter of the Rod actually being missing? The rifle in question is from the 79xx serial series, I should add.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Evening, all,

I’m currently looking to see what’s on the market for my first K98k and came across what appears to be a very nice 1944 Waffen Werke Brunn/“dot” example for sale. While all visible numbers are factory matching and the gun has not been refurbished, the rifle does not have a cleaning rod with it.

With this considered, I’m wondering if this rifle would’ve came from the factory like this (given it was made in the later part of the war), or is it just a matter of the Rod actually being missing? The rifle in question is from the 79xx serial series, I should add.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Detailed photos would be nice.:happy0180:

Yes it needs a rod, if we assume the rifle is "as built" from the factory and there's a hole drilled in the wood.

Brunn made some with a bayo lug, but the stock was not drilled, then later they made rifles (semi-kriegsmodell) that had a metal end cap that is screwed into the end of the stock.

The assumption "as built" is significant. If the action was placed into a second stock, or the rifle was russian refurbed or bubba had his way, then there's a diff answer.

Pictures

Attached are some photos of the rifle in question. It’s being offered by a retail seller, so I borrowed the pictures from their website.

Attachments

• 2364A033-69A6-45EC-BAC6-4642D0ED4EE1.jpeg
    2364A033-69A6-45EC-BAC6-4642D0ED4EE1.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 111
  • C525925D-2A43-4D69-A913-67B07B5D1C38.jpg
    C525925D-2A43-4D69-A913-67B07B5D1C38.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 7FBBD027-3022-4947-A32B-BD67B9434933.jpeg
    7FBBD027-3022-4947-A32B-BD67B9434933.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 117
I checked with the seller and the stock does have a provision for a cleaning rod. Either way, it appears that someone scooped the rifle up in the meantime (maybe someone here?). Thanks again, everyone, for the information.

I checked with the seller and the stock does have a provision for a cleaning rod. Either way, it appears that someone scooped the rifle up in the meantime (maybe someone here?). Thanks again, everyone, for the information.

Who was the seller? Legacy? And what was the asking?

Attached are some photos of the rifle in question. It’s being offered by a retail seller, so I borrowed the pictures from their website.

It's back for sale.... apparently sold and sent back? I think I see a problem w/ the front band, IMO

It's back for sale.... apparently sold and sent back? I think I see a problem w/ the front band, IMO

your right I was looking at a while back like it but then I see the band too. but I do like his pistols bought 2 nice Lugers from him nice guy to deal with.

Military Rifle Journal
Back