Third Party Press

Commercial Walther Zella-Mehlis PPK

Absolut

It is "just" a commercial Walther Zella-Mehlis PPK, that is in very good condition. However, it has an engraving on the front that I noticed afterwards that made it quite special to me.

"Gegeben vom Oberbürgermeister der Hauptstadt Hannover" translates as "Given by the Lord Mayor of the Capital City Hannover". No idea why it was gifted and to who, I assume maybe a price at a shooting match. But it is nicely engraved and whoever the owner was, he surely bothered to store it safe!

Last two serial digits were digitally removed - it is 215.xxx K serial. Internet indicates this is 1939 - is this correct?

*edit* noted wrong serial block above, correctened

Attachments

• PPK_01.jpg
    PPK_01.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 40
  • PPK_02.jpg
    PPK_02.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 47
  • PPK_03.jpg
    PPK_03.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Beautiful PPK ! Love the inscription. Is the mag a later magazine? The black finger extension makes me think it is.

Thanks for sharing!

The magazine shoe surely isn't original to it. I also got a magazine without a shoe to it that is only Walther PPK marked, but pictured it with the one that was in it when I got it.

In the meantime I found Walther PPK from 1938 (so a year earlier) with nearly the same engraving that was sold some time ago in Germany: https://www.lot-tissimo.com/de-de/a...0035/lot-25fb5031-9dc9-43e7-890e-a8b801873665 . The engraving on this pistol is just a bit shorter by lacking the "of capital city" and writing Hannover in capital letters only. The most interesting part is that this one has provenance in listing it as having been the prize of the pistol shooting cup of the Political Leaders in Hannover, proven by a copy of a newspaper from 1938.

I'm now researching whether there might also be a newspaper regarding the same cup but in 1939, which possibly could identify who originally had won this pistol. Might be one of the very few cases where the original winner could be identified and the whole story being documented.

While it's a sharp looking pistol the inscription and even more the 'story' really makes it for me. It would seem given the size of Hannover that the article from 1939 could be found? Nice piece!

Military Rifle Journal
Back