Third Party Press

dot44 Stock Finish

Steve K

Hi,
I'm seeking opinions regarding the finish on this dot44 rifle. Is the varnish original? I noted some dot43 and dot44 examples pictured in Volume II and volume III that seem to have a similar varnish over the stain, but remnants of the varnish are also visible on the stock lug which makes me wonder it was applied postwar.

Thank you and best regards,
Steve K

Attachments

• Kar98k - dot44 - 2.jpg
    Kar98k - dot44 - 2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Kar98k - dot44 - 3.jpg
    Kar98k - dot44 - 3.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Kar98k - dot44 - 22.jpg
    Kar98k - dot44 - 22.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Kar98k - dot44 - 25.jpg
    Kar98k - dot44 - 25.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Kar98k - dot44 - 26.jpg
    Kar98k - dot44 - 26.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 56
One thing I can say for certain is that it didn't leave the factory with this finish.:sorry:
The Germans of course had varnish ,but this isn't typically what they did with it.
To me it gives the appearance of having been sanded at some point. Still all in all not a bad lookin rifle.
:thumbsup:

One thing I can say for certain is that it didn't leave the factory with this finish.:sorry:
The Germans of course had varnish ,but this isn't typically what they did with it.
To me it gives the appearance of having been sanded at some point. Still all in all not a bad lookin rifle.
:thumbsup:

agree..............

Stock Finish

Thank you. I appreciate your help very much. I am not surprised the varnish is a postwar application, but it is good to have it confirmed.

Best regards,
Steve K

Military Rifle Journal
Back