Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1916 gew98 rifle

Default 1916 gew98 rifle

i have a 1916 spandua gew 98 rifle, every single part is matching with serial numbers 95 57, i also have the barrel muzzle (which i understand is RARE). The gun has no pitting or rust and looks and functions very amazing! The stock is a little beat up but like i said before everything on the gun is matching so its all original. I was just wondering how much this rifle could actually be worth (even though im not selling it) I got it from a local dealer for $175, which i knew was a steal because he did not know much about it. Unfortunately i do not have the bayonet but I am looking for one that is made the same year so that this gun can be almost complete. I can post some pictures if that would help.

Picture would help a lot, especially details of the serial number, the receiver top as well as the entire rfile.

By barrel muzzle do you mean muzzlecap? Those are indeed rare, but again pictures are necessary.

To even guess at a value pictures would be needed, do some of the right, left and top receiver, plus any barrel and stock markings. At $175 it is hard to imagine you didn't do well.

Most 1916 Spandau's are made by Spandau, but this was the first year sub-contract receivers start to show up and that can be interesting. Usually they are very late rifles though. Under your serial number (9557) there should be a letter suffix. This will give you a rough range of how early or late it is.

Nice muzzle covers can be tough to find, especially for a good price.

ok so i took alot of pictures and this should help, the only part that did not match was the cleaning rod, it has 50 instead of 57 but besides that the rest matches completely.
    Attached Images Attached Images

here are the rest of the photos couldnt upload all of them at once but these are hi def pics so it should be easy to see. I really appreciate the help guys i love old military rifles but as far as the gew 98 its hard to find out every bit of information so i need all the help i can get.

Very nice rifle- you flat out stole it at $175.

Do an image of the right receiver?

The lid is a rather rare one, made by Vollmer Werke Biberrach (company of the famous inventor). They are common for the Kar.98a, but Gew.98 ones are very hard to find. Only seen one other for the Gew.98, the 98a lids are fairly numerous from them.

Regarding information, you came to the right place, as everyone that is online, that knows anything comes here or to TP's Mauser forum on Gunboards. Between Dr. Storz book and these two forums, most answers that are known can be had.

Regarding your rifle, forgot to say it is a rather early rifle, an "h" block, about 90k of nearly 400k made (est. about 360-370k, possibly more that year). Remarkably, this is not the high maker that year, both DWM and Danzig surpassed this production, Danzig by a large margin. As common as 1916 dated rifles are, they are not terribly common in "original" condition, - as in factory original. Your rifle, while a little rough in spots, is quite a score really. Both in what you paid vs. value and in how uncommon they are today loose. Often you have to pay big bucks or trade to get a nice rifle.

thats what i was thinking, he said $175 and i did not hesitate. but here are two more of the right side, im not sure if the T was carved or stamped. I am glad i did come here i was reading alot of the forums and figured hey these people know exactly what they are talking about so i joined

Thanks!

I track acceptance patterns and this is helpful.

no problem you helped me out A LOT so it was no hassel.