Third Party Press

Matching vs mismatch price diff

Bobmauser

Just wondering how much a premium on a K98 is having a matching bolt or stock? And if you had something none matching what would be the least problematic part not to match.

I've seen a few really nice k98s (1937 an 1938s s/42) but had diff bolt or different stock. And then ive seen matching 1945 guns going for 2800..
To me the late k98s have poor quality even if all matching. So I'm thinking I would rather have a earlier one with better markings and parts.

Also wondering how they get mismatched.

- Bolts - yes that is common
- stocks - not sure why some have a diff stock. I can see why the bolts dont always match due to them pulling them out putting in buckets
- floor plate - no idea why.

If the bolt is self matched but not to the gun does that make it less acurrate or issues firing it?

Oh and thoughts of K98s that look pretty new but then you see someone reblued it and buffed all the metal to make it shiny. Does this devalue the gun vs say one that is dull but with original finish of stock and barrel?

Thanks !

Just wondering how much a premium on a K98 is having a matching bolt or stock? And if you had something none matching what would be the least problematic part not to match.

I've seen a few really nice k98s (1937 an 1938s s/42) but had diff bolt or different stock. And then ive seen matching 1945 guns going for 2800..
To me the late k98s have poor quality even if all matching. So I'm thinking I would rather have a earlier one with better markings and parts.

Also wondering how they get mismatched.

- Bolts - yes that is common
- stocks - not sure why some have a diff stock. I can see why the bolts dont always match due to them pulling them out putting in buckets
- floor plate - no idea why.

If the bolt is self matched but not to the gun does that make it less acurrate or issues firing it?

Oh and thoughts of K98s that look pretty new but then you see someone reblued it and buffed all the metal to make it shiny. Does this devalue the gun vs say one that is dull but with original finish of stock and barrel?

Thanks !

Obviously all matching is what is most desired. Then its smaller pats, like the safety or a barrel band. When it comes to something big, like the stock or bolt, it seems most people will go for the bolt mm rather than the stock mm. Bolts were removed for various reasons, mostly lost to time, and were easily removable in the first place. The stock has always seemed, at least to me, to be a integral part of the aesthetic of each individual rifle.

When it comes to 'why' or 'how' parts got mismatched thats very hard to say. Generally speaking, they are probably not wartime (despite what some people will try and say). Sure, there are examples were perhaps a wartime mismatch seems likely; I have rifle were the floor plate and follower are mismatched (matching each other) but are very close in serial to the rest of the rifle, are properly coded, and have the same patina, but will never know for sure. When it comes to bolts, there is the old stories of Germany troops taking their bolts out prior to or during the surrender process, then GI's refitting the bolts without care for serial (this process is debated still today). Then there is the stories of 50's and 60's importers bringing in rifles with bolts out and then also returned them haphazardly. When it comes to stock mm, it seems likely a lot of these are restored sporters.

A bolt mm should be safe to fire, baring any other issues. Less accurate? probably not, but that likely depends on each rifle/bolt.

Any rifle that has been messed with post war, especially by bubba, has significantly lost its collector value. Sanded/refinished stocks, reblued or buffed parts are a big no go for lots of people (including myself). Authenticity and honesty is the name of the game.

Bolt MM pricing

Generally the MM bolt knocks the price down by 50-60%.
Say you have a 3000.00 matched gun in 90% condition.
Well knock that down to 1500.00 if bolt MM.

That's the general rule that's been in place for as long as I can remember.

There may be special cases such as super rare codes, snipers and SS guns, but that
50% generally applies to most of the rifles sold as such.

There may be special cases such as super rare codes, snipers and SS guns, but that

Wow did not realize it was that much. I saw a matched k98 a few months ago that i barely lost out to. I think it sold for 1900. Now they all like 2500 due to covid crazyness and maybe Biden. Not sure but prices are up. So a similar gun would be 2500/2 = 1250 price if it had mm bolt and stock?

Just trying to get a handle on prices and value. I saw a sanded down buffed out k98 with mostly matching but the front metal band. Was like 800.00 the a NR bidder came it racked it up to 1750. It looked nice like a Mitchells mauser but at the same time it had non original bluing and buff marks on all the parts to make them look like new. I sort of like the beat up natural look but that buff job did give it eye candy appeal to one guy.

MODEDIT - Removal of ongoing auction link

Ooops sorry did not realize that was a no no to post link. Can I post photos so i can show people what I am talking about?
Trying to learn the finer side of k98 is all. Thanks

Last edited:
You are not suppose to post live auctions.

The "drilled" markings look like one in the pic sticky, so its normal. Bluing looks normal to me. Overall a nice uncommom rifle. The stock where it is marked is odd. Can't figure out what happened there.

Last edited:

The "drilled" markings look like one in the pic sticky, so its normal. Bluing looks normal to me. Overall a nice uncommom rifle. The stock where it is marked is odd. Can't figure out what happened there.

Looks like humpery and wankery to me. That would not have left the factory like that, particularly that early. The inspections popped in it don't look right either.

This, since the early 80s, which is when I bought my first K98k.

Sorry did not realize or forgot that was a no no. Was it ok to post a picture of K98 markings? That is gone too.

Looks like humpery and wankery to me. That would not have left the factory like that, particularly that early. The inspections popped in it don't look right either.

those drilled out swatztika under the eagles what is that? Never seen one like that. That is normal? Normally you see the ZZ pattern under them. All my P08s and P 38s have it under the eagles most k98s I have see do too.

Hambone, look at the one in the pic sticky. Proofs are deep and look the same.

Attachments

• 028 (1280x960).jpg
    028 (1280x960).jpg
    133 KB · Views: 65
Well I just bought that k98 for $1200. I was the only bidder. Its nice looking but non matching on bolt and buttplate. I just really like the deep triple imprints of the early models. I'll keep looking for a full matching but this will be my shooter K98. And it came with a sling which many don't

If you look at that front barrel band it almost looks like its made of brass. Could be just the lighting. Were any made of brass?

pix913327345.jpg
pix323202482.jpg
pix772082574.jpg
pix779482735.jpg
pix074324788.jpg
pix819642716.jpg
pix465454775.jpg

Last edited:
Rule of thumb is the hierarchy goes All matching, bolt MM, stock MM, both MM. But there is still something of a floor. These days any complete, functional non-sporterized K98 in shootable condition is worth probably $500-600 even as to a reenactor. RCs are going for more than that, and it goes up from there.

Rule of thumb is the hierarchy goes All matching, bolt MM, stock MM, both MM. But there is still something of a floor. These days any complete, functional non-sporterized K98 in shootable condition is worth probably $500-600 even as to a reenactor. RCs are going for more than that, and it goes up from there.

Thanks! Not sure what RCs are.

In 2021 seems the floor has been raised some on the old guns. In past two months prices jumped. I wish I got it for 600.00 just have not seen any decent ones for that price in awhile. Do you think 1200 was a bit high? Don't worry its ok, I just liked the marking on that particular rifle even though the parts did not all match.

Agree if they put a plastic stock and scope on a K98 I have zero interest, just does not seem right to me.

Does the Year factor much into this? The 1944s and 1945s even if matching just do not appeal as much to me with the stamped parts and welding of the barrel bands. But they do seem to get a high price even though the were not built to the same standards as the early models.

Early war, mid war, late war, it is really just personal preference. I personally like the prewar and early war dates 1934 to 1940. But they are hard to find in good condition as most saw field use. Some folks specialize in the late war guns. Quite a few variations near the end. And they can be found matching and in great condition as some were liberated from storage prior to being issued. The best condition K98ks I have are all
bnz 45s. I doubt any of them saw combat.

The above are just generalizations. A very early Sauer double band spring rifle matching, even if in rough condition would bring a premium ( at least to me) due to low numbers and low survival rate. Then their are snipers and SS guns, which I don't follow at all and are a minefield for fakes.

RCs are Russian Captures a bunch of them got imported a few years back, they are import marks, wood stocks are covered with shellac, and they have this black Russian paint on the metal parts with an X on the receiver.

I'm personally a fan of late war guns I like those cost cutting features.

Military Rifle Journal
Back