Third Party Press

My first Mauser model 98

Tommylee

Hello,
I have just acquired my very first Mauser. I know very little about the rifle other than what I have read online in the past week.
I got the rifle from a guy that inherited it from his father a few years ago.
This guy didn't know any thing at all about the rifle and had never fired it.
I handcraft silver coin rings and I traded him seven rings for the rifle.
The rings had a retail value of $270. I had about $100 invested in the coins I made the rings from so how could I go wrong.
After learning what I could about the rifle in the past week I have several questions I hoped someone could help me with.
The rifle is extremely clean and from what I can tell it seems to have matching numbers.
The main thing is the stock looks different than any other one I have seen. It has carving on it of maple leaves, it has a rubber like shoulder rest on it, it does not have a place for a cleaning rod and there seems to be a lot more barrel showing on it due to the different stock.
The numbers and letters on the rifle are modle 98 1937 S/42.
I have a few photos that I will load and I'll try to take more tomorrow when I can get out in the day light.
Any help with identification will be appreciated.

your rifle was once in WW2 era military configuration. It sounds like it was post war altered to be an attractive sporting rifle, a common practice for these rifles in the post war period. S/42 denotes Mauser as the manufacturer and 1937 is the year. Likely little collector value to your rifle, but at $100 invested, as long as it shoots well, you did just fine in the buy.

your rifle was once in WW2 era military configuration. It sounds like it was post war altered to be an attractive sporting rifle, a common practice for these rifles in the post war period. S/42 denotes Mauser as the manufacturer and 1937 is the year. Likely little collector value to your rifle, but at $100 invested, as long as it shoots well, you did just fine in the buy.

Thank you very much for the information.
If 1936 is stamped on the rifle does that not make it a 1936 ?

I'd have to agree. It's value is fairly low. Permanent modifications make it a shooter now.

Check to see if your friends father has the old parts, it would be well worth it. Stock if matching is half the gun's value.

Ugh, didn't see all the modifications. Sorry. Old stock may still fetch 300 or so.

Military Rifle Journal
Back