Third Party Press

1938 Mauser Oberndorf "42" - Matching "Survivor"

korea1950

Here is a 1938 "42" Mauser. All serial numbered parts match inside and out including the stock, handguard, firing pin, screws, etc. These pre-war/ early war K98ks are unique because almost every part was serialized and/or inspection stamped. Original, complete, unmolested, matching pre-war K98ks are getting difficult to find. This one has a pristine bore (my picture does not do it justice). It appears that the rifle was carried more than shot due to the lack of wear in the bore and action parts. Amazing it remained fully intact for 84 years.....
k98-1.jpgk98-2.jpgk98-3.jpgk98-4.jpgk98-5.jpgk98-6.jpgk98-7.jpgk98-8.jpgk98-9.jpgk98-10.jpgk98-11.jpgk98-12.jpgk98-13.jpgk98-14.jpgk98-15.jpg

korea1950

Guillaume, Thank you for looking! The bluing on this rifle is very good with only slight wear on the top of the barrrel towards the muzzel end. Under the wood the bluing is perfect. The rifle was very well cared for by all who have had it over the years.

korea1950

Jorry, Thank you for looking at the post and for the nice comment. I appreciate your feedback as you are quite the collector of these K98ks. I have looked at many of your collection from your posts on this forum and learned a lot from them and you. Take care!

AN-94

Beautiful rifle, where did you manage to find it? Now if only I can find a S/42 in walnut that's in similar condition to yours...

korea1950

Very nice ‘38 Oberndorf! Definitely an example a lot of members here would be proud to own.
Thank you. It's in great condition, not perfect, but a really nice K98k with very little wear on the metal, the bluing and in the bore. I just shake my head thinking how it remained together since leaving the MO factory with such a low probability of all these serial numbered parts being intact 84 years later. I have been very happy to own this piece of history and to be able to share it with everyone on this forum who love these rifles.

korea1950

Beautiful rifle, where did you manage to find it? Now if only I can find a S/42 in walnut that's in similar condition to yours...
Searching high and low for a long time. Found it in an ad out West (where the climate is warm and dry which might account for its condition). The ad was poorly written with many errors. The people selling it did not know a lot about this pre-war K98k and did not take the time to write an accurate ad. I called asked a lot of questions and to my surprise I confirmed that all of the external parts were serial numbered matching. The sellers would not take it down (consignment item) so I took a chance and bought it. I thought that if the serial numbers were intact externally and the rifle's condition showed that it was well cared for, then the probability was high that the inside parts would match also. To my relief upon it's delivery I found that it was all matching. I was lucky.
Keep searching and you will find your S/42....

AN-94

Searching high and low for a long time. Found it in an ad out West (where the climate is warm and dry which might account for its condition). The ad was poorly written with many errors. The people selling it did not know a lot about this pre-war K98k and did not take the time to write an accurate ad. I called asked a lot of questions and to my surprise I confirmed that all of the external parts were serial numbered matching. The sellers would not take it down (consignment item) so I took a chance and bought it. I thought that if the serial numbers were intact externally and the rifle's condition showed that it was well cared for, then the probability was high that the inside parts would match also. To my relief upon it's delivery I found that it was all matching. I was lucky.
Keep searching and you will find your S/42....
Wow, talk about getting a great roll of the dice! Still, I'm glad it worked out for you, that rifle certainly is a stunner. Thanks for the encouragement, hopefully we'll find a nice matching one, maybe within the next year if I'm really lucky.

korea1950

k98-31.jpg
k98-32.jpg
Someone asked me if I would add a few pictures of the receiver and barrel markings that are found hidden under the stock wood for him to see. The receiver markings show the various inspection markings left by the workers that worked on it. The barrel picture shows the "barrel code" marking for this specific rifle.

heavy_mech

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual
View attachment 326014
View attachment 326015
Someone asked me if I would add a few pictures of the receiver and barrel markings that are found hidden under the stock wood for him to see. The receiver markings show the various inspection markings left by the workers that worked on it. The barrel picture shows the "barrel code" marking for this specific rifle.
Wonderful rifle. Thanks for sharing the great photos too. I really like trying to find period (or pre-war) print materials or other advertising items.

Silesiastahl.jpg

Military Rifle Journal