Third Party Press

1939 code 243 transition K98 with band spring Duffle cut

USMC25

Hi, Guys I just put 1939 code 243 k98 from Gunbrocker on layaway, my question is there a duffle cut smack in the middle of the band spring the rifle does not come with a cleaning rod. If I add a cleaning rod will it secure the cut piece better, I don't want to repair it.

Attachments

• pix193128126.jpg
    pix193128126.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 76
  • pix327718553.jpg
    pix327718553.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 75
  • pix353307710.jpg
    pix353307710.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 59
  • pix415387417.jpg
    pix415387417.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 66
  • pix463233905.jpg
    pix463233905.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 68
  • pix548863216.jpg
    pix548863216.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 71
  • pix593073086.jpg
    pix593073086.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 71
  • pix854951780.jpg
    pix854951780.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 65
  • pix929042307.jpg
    pix929042307.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 79

Jakeman664

Don't think so since the rod isn't that tight of a fit, my WZ98a duffle cut comes off when I shoot it. Also bolt seems funky on that rifle. At least the safety is off a Czech Mauser.

USMC25

All the numbers match except the safety and the stock matches itself with the butt plate, but not the rifle.

USMC25

It is part of the history of this rifle, hopefully, it was a real vet bring back, any thoughts.

Last edited:

Jakeman664

I don't know enough of 243 fonts to say for sure but I'm skeptical of the numbering on the bolt sleeve. Also if the stock was matching and duffle cut it would be more likely a vet bringback. I feel it's a "sporter rescue" with the original bands and a duffle cut off another rifle. I'd personally ask to see the waffenamts on the underside of the bolt to make sure they are correct for the rifle since he doesn't show them in pictures.

Last edited:

USMC25

I see what you're saying, but couldn't the stock be damage in combat and replace?. I find it strange that it will be cut from another rifle when both bands have matching numbers. As for the numbering on the bolt sleeve if they were fake why not just complete the job and do the same with the safety. By the way, I bought this rifle from Legacy Collectibles on gunbroker and have 7 days to return it if it is not legit, that is why I asking for your guy's advice.

Last edited:

Muncher 1953

I see what you're saying, but couldn't the stock be damage in combat and replace?. I find it strange that it will be cut from another rifle when both bands have matching numbers. As for the numbering on the bolt sleeve if they were fake why not just complete the job and do the same with the safety. By the way, I bought this rifle from Legacy Collectibles on gunbroker and have 7 days to return it if it is not legit, that is why I asking for your guy's advice.
So- I see why you like the rifle, BUT:

the seller has a known bad reputation here, only you can decide if the ‘deal’ is worth that risk

yes the stock “could have been“ replaced as a result of battle damage, but here’s the deal on that: Army regs fobade a rifleman from taking his rifle apart except the bolt. Rifles were repaired by the unit armorer, with parts they kept, and in a certain particular way. Keep in mind that German society was/is very rules-driven, we know from their own military records that they shot approx 15,000 of their own troops for various infractions. ( more serious than for taking rifles apart, but it creates an atmosphere) In the US Army for the same period, wasn’t it just ONE man?

As others have suggested, you may be able to find a stock set that’s “more matching”, though never truly so.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the photo reference section here, it has several examples of ‘39 243 rifles, one depot repaired………

USMC25

Doesn't this rifle already have a period-correct replacement stock on it, or do you mean to find another one because of the duffle cut? The duffle cut doesn't bother me as long as it's real. Has anyone ever heard of a vet bring back with a non-matching stock? I also notice that all of the other 1939 code 243 k98 rifles have a letter prefix under the serial numbers showing the block it's was made in why? doesn't this rifle have one.

Last edited:

WilliM1940

A mismatched stock here is just that, value is dropped by 1/2. It is not accepted that bring backs have that component mismatched. Whether the duffel cut is original in this case means little with the mismatch, I would think, if you want to shoot it, because with the mismatch it is just that, a shooter, that an uncut stock would be preferrable.

USMC25

When you say the value is dropped by 1/2 my question is half of what amount. And in your guy's opinion as the rifle stands now, what would be the value of this rifle?

Muncher 1953

mowzerluvr

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?​

Wow, not an easy answer. A decent, matching common code can go from $1,500, then up to $4,000+ for a nice matching rare code. $500-800 mismatch originals, Russian captures. Bolt mismatch originals or one or two mismatch parts can run $850 to $1,500 maybe more. Condition, code/yr, amount of matching or mismatch parts all play a critical factor. Many times a seller will claim that a rifle is all matching and it may well be. But other times nothing could be further from the truth. A trained eye takes years to finesse.

Quote above from a knowledgeable member here. Auction site asking prices may not be the best indicator of “values” right now. You can decide where your rifle falls in, or search the forum for similar posts as more info.
Going by Dave’s post above, choose closest description & $ range, then as WilliM 1940 stated, reduce by 50% for stock not matching. For most here, stock mismatch is a killer.
Others may offer differing opinions………

heavy_mech

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual
Reallly not sure where you're going or even exactly what you're asking however you have an early MB rifle with what appears to be an early Gustloff stock if the buttplate is an indication. I didn't see any other photos that would further identify the stock but at a minimum this is wrong. How was it advertised? Oh and I'm also a bit leary of the bolt collar.

Stan

It was not uncommon many years ago for gun shops to keep a supply on hand of take off stocks and bands, etc. from all sorts of military and civilian rifles. I knew of a few that had bins of such stocks and parts, including some duffle cuts for the K98k. I have also owned at least two K98k's that came in mismatched, duffle cut stocks. One had upper band matching the rifle and the lower matching the stock. These duffle cut takeoffs were used by some of those shops/and or customers to restore a barreled action back to a military configuration for sale. There is probably no way to be certain who did some of these or when, but as mentioned, the mismatch does hit the value.

Military Rifle Journal