Third Party Press

243 1940 reso or not

WAZUP13579

Walked into a local pawn shop and they had this on the walls. As i want to take a look at ever k98 I find I took a look at it. I know that it is in a bit of a rough state but for $200 i dont think that is to bad. It has a few miss matched parts and the bolt matches its self. What do you guys think? Worth the resto on it or to much of a head ache?

4F5D2B1B-9686-4AE4-B76C-86E9215BC443.jpg CAE7CD4A-D56E-4F1E-BED6-784B9BBE2741.jpg F23296EE-0D31-4FA2-A900-62D2A4BD5E97.jpg 2BCFF3A1-05E7-4032-A279-A710443B8F51.jpg 82FE5DF3-CD03-455A-8169-D8A2F6142AF3.jpg

bnz41john

Yes its worth the "restoration". In my opinion it is a no-brainer. Looks like you might even be able to save the stock by grafting the front section of a donor stock. Never hurts to haggle alittle. But the parts alone are worth more than $200.

John.

racerlee

For $200! I'd pay it. It's worth that and more just in parts. It's strange it has two different style proof stamps on the barrel and receiver. I don't know why, but somebody here would know. Possibly a depot built rifle?

Last edited:

racerlee

Yes its worth the "restoration". In my opinion it is a no-brainer. Looks like you might even be able to save the stock by grafting the front section of a donor stock. Never hurts to haggle alittle. But the parts alone are worth more than $200.

John.

Ha ha! You beat me to it!:thumbsup:

Loewe

Moderator²
Staff member
I agree with what others have stated, it is worth the price easily, assuming nothing is mechanically wrong with the rifle. The rifle is a rework (re-barrel), possibly Königberg, which was an important (and old) HZa, it is difficult to be too certain with these pictures, the upper case suffix on the barrel is odd for Königberg, often they omit the suffix on the barrel, though the diversity from this facility is impressive. Possibly due to its location and importance, - it wasn't your normal HZa.

Anyway, you really need to do more pictures to tell exactly what you have, but at $200 there is little doubt this is a bargain. (Considering what stupid people pay for the rc's, this is a screamer...)

bnz41john

I live in western-virginia so if you dont buy it I might have to take a little road trip. :laugh: Post more pics when you get it!

John.

heavy_mech

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual
..The rifle is a rework (re-barrel), possibly Königberg..
(Considering what stupid people pay for the rc's, this is a screamer...)

Instant buy. Maybe even haggle for $25 if you feel like it. Check the stock carefully but I have a feeling you may be pleasantly surprised with what you find. As was said earlier, it's among the easier of fixes. Good luck!

Military Rifle Journal