Third Party Press

337 code - 1940 Question

Warrior1354

ax - hole
In my years of studying the 337 codes I have never seen one with a cupped buttplate unless it was a Depot rework. If one did exist from the factory it would have to be at the tail end of production right when they change the code over to bcd41. But I have never seen such an example.

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Yeah, I don't think they went to cupped until early 41, between a-f.

Winchester Cowboy

Thanks for the replies.
The reason I asked was I saw one that sold at a 98 dealer but still is online with pics.
The description said it was a not assembled until early 1941 and the stock was stamped 12 41 for the 12th week of 1941, and this was for a 1940 337 with a cupped butt plate, not flat.
So was this receiver a forgotten straggler that eventually found its way to the assembly line?

heavy_mech

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual
Thanks for the replies.
The reason I asked was I saw one that sold at a 98 dealer but still is online with pics.
The description said it was a not assembled until early 1941 and the stock was stamped 12 41 for the 12th week of 1941, and this was for a 1940 337 with a cupped butt plate, not flat.
So was this receiver a forgotten straggler that eventually found its way to the assembly line?

To me this totally smacks of a 'story' from the seller. I'd not say absolutely but without further evidence I wouldn't believe it just because he says so.

Possibly with many detailed photos it could be determined when this was assembled. Barrel code and components and how they're accepted changed gradually and that would be the best option to date the assembly IMO.

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Not the original stock on that one. Notice is has a "Geco" marked barrel, probably a depot replacement. Assuming everything else is ok it may be a depot rework, but probably just a POS.

Military Rifle Journal