Third Party Press

44 K98 WOW

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that the stock has been "cleaned", If that's true, who wants to pay that price for a "garden variety" "K" that's has cleaned up wood? o_O

Hard to tell without holding it in front of you. But by the looks of the blue on the metal parts, looks like all original to me. Even the blue on the screws in the butt plate look original. Given prices lately I’d expect stuff like this to go up as well. Can’t believe what stuff is selling for these days!

Hard to tell without holding it in front of you. But by the looks of the blue on the metal parts, looks like all original to me. Even the blue on the screws in the butt plate look original. Given prices lately I’d expect stuff like this to go up as well. Can’t believe what stuff is selling for these days!
You're correct in saying that photos can be very deceptive. The takedown discs look cleaned to me and when I see that I always have to wonder what else has been cleaned. When the metal looks good it's very tempting want the wood to look just as nice. To me the bird looks a little fuzzy, like the stock has been stripped and stained dark. I you look in the picture reference index you'll see that the wood on earlier and later byf 44's than this is typically lighter. To me the cracks behind the discs mean that this area could have been very wet and has cracked upon drying. Perhaps the dark stain was to cover up rust stains behind the discs in an attempt to make the rifle Gunstroker big dollar worthy.

Last edited:
Yes but if the rear band is put in correctly, isn't the serial number now at the bottom? The two g block byf44 that are in the ref library show the serial number pointing up.

Last edited:
The band is the correct original band and just has the sling loop on the wrong side. Will you please just quit confusing me with the facts? o_O 🤪 :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :) (y)

Why we need screen shots of the auction and showing rifle serial with serial, maker, year in thread so a search will bring it up. That link will be dead in about 60 days and then this thread will be site litter ;) I don’t recall seeing this one discussed here. Link?

Why we need screen shots of the auction and showing rifle serial with serial, maker, year in thread so a search will bring it up. That link will be dead in about 60 days and then this thread will be site litter ;) I don’t recall seeing this one discussed here. Link?

Thank you Gringo, Caesar. Remember though guys, a link from one Gunbonker awkshun to another is useless in about 60-90 days. Might as well delete the thread. I say this to everyone, me included: if you're going to take the time to call it out, call it out properly so it is memorialized. It takes about two minutes more. Like this:

Scam alert: 98k byf 44 29913 g : (insert why it's a scam or turd here with pics). This way, we have it forever. Turds and scams seem to re-occur with frequency. Nobody wants to be stuck with a turd so they toss it back out to wash up on someone else's beach and scammers like to scam. With dead links we know nothing after 90 days. With screenshots and serial numbers we have it for the life of the forum, perhaps the life of the internets. Thank you.

Attachments

• byf 44 GB 1.JPG
    byf 44 GB 1.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 18
  • byf 44 GB 2.JPG
    byf 44 GB 2.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 18
  • GB reviews.JPG
    GB reviews.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 16
Lately, the new scam is Hackers take over a legitimate account with numerous positive reviews and then lift pictures from somewhere else and “sell” a phony item . They seem to use legit accounts that may not have been used for a while. Someone on the CMP forum said their account was recently hacked and his user name was changed. Gunbroker has been unhelpful with beefing up their security or answering questions

I think that's exactly what's happening. They 'hijack' a legit albeit dormant account and list a boosted item with pics from another site. I can only imagine what their payment options are

Scammers rely upon greed, the desire for a trinket, to overwhelm common sense. About 5 minutes of background due diligence can save you. Check feedback and those leaving it. Run the seller’s name or email. Does the phone number match the address and name? Etc.

Military Rifle Journal
Back