Third Party Press

A little off topic...how much to ship a rifle nowadays?

ChrisG43

I haven't sold/shipped a rifle in awhile (gunbroker/forum/etc.), I might be selling a few here in the near future, and wondering what the best/cheapest way to ship is? I see UPS no longer allows shipments, so I was looking into shipping a K98 and it looks like it's going to be close to 100$ with USPS? Is that how expensive it's become? Dang! Any better ideas? Chris....

I haven't sold/shipped a rifle in awhile (gunbroker/forum/etc.), I might be selling a few here in the near future, and wondering what the best/cheapest way to ship is? I see UPS no longer allows shipments, so I was looking into shipping a K98 and it looks like it's going to be close to 100$ with USPS? Is that how expensive it's become? Dang! Any better ideas? Chris....
Drive it over!

The biggest variable is probably insurance - but it should be in the $50-$100 range with USPS, even with the surcharge for extra length.

Depends on insurance but I would say 50 to 80 bucks on the east coast? Going west and a value of 3k ish could push that to 100 easy. I try and keep the box length down (but went plenty of adequate packaging) and that helps the cost.

Be sure to use a discount shipping service. I use pirateship at work for all our guns. You get a big discount over usps retail.

Roughly $50 through USPS for an expertly packaged rifle of K98k length. Additional charges when we’re talking about a Gew98 rifle. Add in adult signature confirmation and insurance, anywhere from $70-80 in total.

I paid $65 to ship a T38 carbine from Maine to Colorado recently via USPS w/ insurance. Have paid over $100 thru Fedex to ship a Gew98 w/ insurance.

I use USPS exclusively if I ship a long gun since UPS and Fedex went full woke. I refuse to jump through their hoops.

Though they did chalk on that $15 large package surcharge, "Insurance" is what gets you now... It's gone up substantially. While I am highly suspicious of the USPS paying anything out for damage, the insurance comes in handy for the rare event a rifle is lost. That has yet to happen to me, but during the worst of the pandemic they had one of my Gew91s for 63 days before a threat to call the ATF and report to the Postal IG randomly shook it loose from tracking limbo. The insurance formula is somewhere on the USPS site.

I plan on 80-$100 for a Gew88/98 these days, maybe $60-80 for a k98k or other short rifle.

I use USPS exclusively if I ship a long gun since UPS and Fedex went full woke. I refuse to jump through their hoops.

Though they did chalk on that $15 large package surcharge, "Insurance" is what gets you now... It's gone up substantially. While I am highly suspicious of the USPS paying anything out for damage, the insurance comes in handy for the rare event a rifle is lost. That has yet to happen to me, but during the worst of the pandemic they had one of my Gew91s for 63 days before a threat to call the ATF and report to the Postal IG randomly shook it loose from tracking limbo. The insurance formula is somewhere on the USPS site.

I plan on 80-$100 for a Gew88/98 these days, maybe $60-80 for a k98k or other short rifle.
I had a similar event with an 1897 Trench Gun "getting lost" at the Philadelphia regional Post Office for several weeks. The Post Office IG didn't do anything until I threatened to call the ATF. It mysteriously re-appeared two days later.... The Post Office IG tried to blame COVID.......

East Coast to East Coast I average $40-$60 per long gun shipped. When I lived on the West Coast I paid over $100 to ship high end long guns in a hard cast to the East Coast.... in 2020....

I just paid $64.33 to have an M71 shipped to me in WI from WA via UPS. No case but it was packaged well with plenty of padding.

I always ship USPS Registered Mail. It's by far the safest way to ship a firearm. However, I prefer to NOT ship if possible and I've driven up to 12 hours one way to avoid it. That might be a little crazy but at least that way, I know how it was treated in transit.

before ups,i use to ship k98 and other guns for 12.50 throw ups,then the next i got flagged at the doorsaying thay dont anymore,then i went too usps it was 10.50 from sa to houston,sorry it was the last one i mailed,i havnt mailed ammo yet so i dont know,

I always ship USPS priority. My thought process is, the less time in transit, the less chance they'll have to mess the box up. It costs more to ship this way but it's worth it.
Avoid UPS ground like the plague.

Military Rifle Journal
Back