Third Party Press

Absolutely new to guns in general/first gun I’ve owned is my grandfathers Kar98K

Trent17

Hello everyone! I’m young and inexperienced with guns. I’ve shot maybe 2-3 guns my whole life. I love watching Hickok videos and this is where I learned about my Kar98K to begin with. I’m really excited to learn more about the gun, such as cleaning it, maintaining it, and just overall becoming more comfortable with this gun. I would appreciate any and all help with understanding the gun. My grandfather was in the 10th mountain division and brought the gun back from WW2 and it has been in a gun case ever since. Sadly he passed away in 2008, but he left the gun for my grandmother who then has given it to me. Why? I have no idea as I’ve never even owned a gun, but hey here we are and I’m so excited to finally fire it once I learn how to get it cleaned and running.

my66coupe

Trent, before you get ahead of yourself, please post pictures of the rifle. Do not make any attempts at cleaning it either. Improper cleaning can destroy the value in a heartbeat. Furthermore, shooting it can lead to the same result.

You’re in procession of a tangible piece of your families history. A piece of your grandfather’s story, and now a heirloom. Hopefully that makes it a little easier as to “why...?”

Remfan

We would all love to see your 98k. Please post some pics soon. Great post from my66coupe as to cleaning and especially firing it if it is an all matching example. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Pretty lucky to have acquired it.

Trent17

We would all love to see your 98k. Please post some pics soon. Great post from my66coupe as to cleaning and especially firing it if it is an all matching example. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Pretty lucky to have acquired it.

Hi! I just took it up to a gun shop to get it looked at. They found it was a Spanish M43 out of La Coruna, Spain. So not quite a kar98k. I’m sorry if this disqualifies me from the board or anything but it looked just like the Kar98 and My grandmother had told me that’s what she thought it was. All of the serial numbers numbers matched. They are cleaning it now and it should Be ready in 6-8 weeks. No import marks or anything of that nature. I’m just confused on how my grandfather acquired a Spanish rifle while fighting in Germany and Italy. I do have one picture

Attachments

• DA29FDCC-2780-4089-B772-C771952FE1D8.jpeg
    DA29FDCC-2780-4089-B772-C771952FE1D8.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 23

Trent17

Trent, before you get ahead of yourself, please post pictures of the rifle. Do not make any attempts at cleaning it either. Improper cleaning can destroy the value in a heartbeat. Furthermore, shooting it can lead to the same result.

You’re in procession of a tangible piece of your families history. A piece of your grandfather’s story, and now a heirloom. Hopefully that makes it a little easier as to “why...?”

Thank you for replying. I haven’t attempted to clean it or anything of the sort. Luckily I found a weapon store that was very familiar with WW2 Mausers and he knew exactly what it was as soon as I brought it in.

Military Rifle Journal