Third Party Press

Anyone see the G40k in Herman historica sell?

Indeed it is but even converted to US dollars that is really not a horrible price seeing how that one is the only real one in private hands!.

Unfortunately it isn’t all it seems to be, the stock and band at the least are added, possibly other things. That rifle was posted here I believe many years ago. I’ll let Bruce fill in the rest, he actually went over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately it isn’t all it seems to be, the stock and band at the least are added, possibly other things. That rifle was posted here I believe many years ago. I’ll let Bruce fill in the rest, he actually went over it.

Mike I thought I had seen it here before, but wasn’t sure. I figured it was another one I was thinking, and when I didn’t see it in the book I figured it had surface, I take it You or Bruce confirmed the action was at least legit?

I can’t recall if Bruce determined if the action was legit. The upside potential of assembling one of these is very high. I’m not saying one way or another if it’s real, I didn’t study these at all doing the book, Bruce did that. If that was a 100% legit G40k that price would have been a steal imo.

Good to know look forward to Bruce weighing in! I indeed agree a steal it would have been espcially if it had the chance if the only one in private hands, as we know. I know Rock island sold one a few years ago a fantasty piece that is, but someone did a good job, it was a RC that was repurposed that way too.

This hobby has too many "Holy Grail" candidates!

I'd be happy just to see one in person. 12K Euro? A small price to pay if it is the real deal.

Jeff

There are some machining traits and surface prep that don’t give me a warm and fuzzy feeling to be honest, but I have studied G40k’s next to zero at the same time. I’m pretty sure this rifle was pictured in a surplus magazine at one point some years back too. Don’t forget there were some very well done fakes made at one point, in France I do believe.

What do you mean Mike, Oberndorf wasn’t sourcing Menzel stocks for their in house prototypes?? Haha

g40k

The rifle was consigned by a French collector and is the same rifle that was presented here on the forum some years ago.
Hermann displayed the rifle at large trade show in Germany after they received the gun. I contacted Jon and we were able to
connect directly with the auction house management and got a series of detailed images.

Jon was then in contact with the house manager regarding this gun.

I will endeavor to add the link to the thread on this rifle. The gun in question was also presented in the French arms magazine with
another G40K.

I believe the rifle is a restoration of a barreled action which is probably correct. I say probably since there are so many questions regarding
the authenticity of this rifle.

Mike stated earlier that the front band is an issue and that was the starting point for breaking down the issues with this rifle.
The 2nd big issue was the oversized 'WR' revisor (in house Mauser inspection) stamp located on the barrel. Both Jon and myself agree that
the existence of this type of stamp is very problematic. In my opinion, the bolt was a modified armorers spare which was not numbered to the
gun. The stock was not cut so the buttplate overlapped the back edge as is the case in three verified examples.

So you see, the issues kept adding up to put in doubt the originality of this gun.

The auction house was made aware of our concerns and you see the end result.

I would have figured a real and correct G40k would have sold for 25,000 to 30,000EU and maybe even higher.

B.

They didn’t, the serial is V84, just them damn natzi chickens, being in Europe and all.

So the original thread pretty much sums it up......

Still I would not turn it down, if I ran across it at a reasonable price.

I mean it's $5000.00 for a SMG FG42........

I've been told the few persons who intended to bid on it decided differently once they had inspected the rifle in person.

I was not really surprised to see that this rifle now turned up for sale with Rock Island Auction, now with an estimate of $ 20,000 to $ 35,000.

While comparing it with the rifles in Mike and Steve's book I especially noticed the 4 of the "G40k" designation on the receiver of rifle V84 (the one that goes from auction to auction) has serifs, whereas originals don't have that. Additionally Mike and Steve's book list serials up to V83 being made and additionally V85 being made, but no documents speak of serial V84.

For others to see, this is the rifle at RIA: https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...40k-experimentalprototype-bolt-action-carbine

Note the miscolorations around the markings..

I was not really surprised to see that this rifle now turned up for sale with Rock Island Auction, now with an estimate of $ 20,000 to $ 35,000.

While comparing it with the rifles in Mike and Steve's book I especially noticed the 4 of the "G40k" designation on the receiver of rifle V84 (the one that goes from auction to auction) has serifs, whereas originals don't have that. Additionally Mike and Steve's book list serials up to V83 being made and additionally V85 being made, but no documents speak of serial V84.

For others to see, this is the rifle at RIA: https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...40k-experimentalprototype-bolt-action-carbine

Note the miscolorations around the markings..

I had never even heard of the G40k before seeing this in the auction catalog, but when I first spied it the serifs on the 4 also made me close the page (not that I was planning on getting a G40k, but still I like to look). Thanks for bringing this thread to light regarding this specific G40k.

So this thread is great, but did anyone save the screen shots and add them so when that link is gone the info is preserved? :googlie Don't do that and the link dies and this thread is half worthless. I'm simple. I like looking at pictures. I took care of it, but in the future please.....

Attachments

• G40k ad.JPG
    G40k ad.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 81
  • G40k (1).jpg
    G40k (1).jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 83
  • G40k (2).jpg
    G40k (2).jpg
    155 KB · Views: 67
  • G40k (3).jpg
    G40k (3).jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 64
  • G40k (4).jpg
    G40k (4).jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 79
  • G40k (5).jpg
    G40k (5).jpg
    287 KB · Views: 69
  • G40k (6).jpg
    G40k (6).jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 75
  • G40k (7).jpg
    G40k (7).jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 65
  • G40k (8).jpg
    G40k (8).jpg
    262 KB · Views: 82
.. korny question on this rifle.

.. know not much about really rare k98's;.. but, if this rifle was bought at auction in france last year by RIA,.. how come it is not mentioned, or photo of some type of import stamp;.. as the sturgess stuff had when they came from europe & sold at julia? ...also;.. just because the bidding hit 40,000; does not mean a real person bought it...!

So this thread is great, but did anyone save the screen shots and add them so when that link is gone the info is preserved? :googlie Don't do that and the link dies and this thread is half worthless. I'm simple. I like looking at pictures. I took care of it, but in the future please.....

Good catch Craig! Glad you captured the pictures before they escaped for good!

Why does this G40k have a large V and known originals have a small v , also the side rail marking on this G40K it has upper case and others have G40k lower case k . Plus the other things that have been mentioned . IMHO someone just paid 40K for a complete fake or at best a few original G40k parts that were either left over from WW2 or from a Cannibalized G40k . :barf::barf:

Military Rifle Journal
Back