Third Party Press

BNZ Rifles first marked "Mod. 98" -- When?

RHA

Recently acquired BNZ 41 rifle s/n 4973b. It IS marked "Mod. 98" on the side rail.

In digging around for information I saw a comment that earlier BNZ rifles were first marked "Mod. 98" in early 1941, but I couldn't find any details as to the approx. s/n when this happened.

4973b has Radom "Lucky Charms" on the bolt and action if this helps date the parts.

Thank you!

The World Famous Karem/Steves book, Karabiner 98k, Volume llb pg.591 says. "Early bnz41 receivers will have no Mod.98 marking on the rail. As early as the 'b' block, the Mod.98 begins to appear, first on receivers produced by Radom, followed by those made at Steyr. By the 'f' block a majority of receivers manufactured by both Steyr and Radom featured the"Mod.98" side rail markings, but it's possible random examples without the marking could show up in later production."

swjXE,

Thank you for the reply. I missed it until now as I thought the forum had email notification.

Another question about this rifle. It came to me in a sporter stock and a few days ago I picked up a number of 98k stocks.
What type would be appropriate for this rifle? Solid or laminate? Flat or cupped buttplate?

Obviously it won't be "correct", but it will be better than it is now.

I would say laminate and cupped butt plate would be the most appropriate. Everything would have still been numbered to the rifle so you likely will never find 'the' one. Bands would all be milled.

The World Famous Karem/Steves book, Karabiner 98k, Volume llb pg.591 says. "Early bnz41 receivers will have no Mod.98 marking on the rail. As early as the 'b' block, the Mod.98 begins to appear, first on receivers produced by Radom, followed by those made at Steyr. By the 'f' block a majority of receivers manufactured by both Steyr and Radom featured the"Mod.98" side rail markings, but it's possible random examples without the marking could show up in later production."
I have a A Block 41 with the mod 98 on the rail. So I think its a little earlier than noted.

Military Rifle Journal
Back