Third Party Press

Bolt for my Karab.98b

Thank you for educating me about my rifle. I have quite a few reference books, however the Karem & Steves volumes are not among them. It would seem I need to update my library.

Also, my apologies to Gerst for my intrusion into his post.

No apologies required my friend!

Beautiful rifle

Thx, best of luck in your parts quest!

Thanks. I should have begun it earlier. But it is fun and you learn a lot. Your rifle is a wonderful piece and very valuable. It’s sad that so many thousands of nice pieces were beaten up, abused, smashed, broken down for parts or just trashed or hidden in a loft somewhere. To find a rifle like yours, rare to begin with, in such good, matching condition is almost a miracle!

You need to start a thread and post more pictures.

I had no idea this rifle was even more difficult to find than the elusive 98b. Given the apparent interest, I guess I should take some additional photos and post them as a stand alone thread.

My acquiring the rifle was a long term proposition and a positive twist of fate. The Vet who brought it back had loaned it to a small museum in my very small home town, and I had told him that if he ever reclaimed it I would like to buy it. Probably 10 or more years went by, I moved away, and I had pretty much resolved that I would never own it. Out of the blue in 1986 I got a call from my Dad who said the Vet had dropped the rifle off at my parent's home.

I contacted the Vet, asked him what I owed him, and he said nothing; He said he knew I would care for it and that the museum (now in decline and more resembling a junk shop) would not. He had no capture papers and said his CO pretty much let the men bring back anything but explosives. Anyway, that's the back story for those who are interested in such.

Being nice to people pays off in the end. Years ago a fellow who worked in the office dumped a handful of stuff on my desk as a gift. He had served in Germany during the 1950’s. He gave me a matching 98 bayonet and scabbard, a Dinky Toys German 88 artillery piece and a police sleeve patch, all in mint condition. Too bad he didn’t bring back a 98k as well!

I sent it back

I'm back to square one. I sent back the e/115 bolt and the Polish "guts." It wasn't the e/11 or e/16 bolt I was led to expect. I sent it back fully cocked, safety on, not half-cocked, as I received it. I guess the seller was half-cocked too! Half something!

I had no idea this rifle was even more difficult to find than the elusive 98b. Given the apparent interest, I guess I should take some additional photos and post them as a stand alone thread.

My acquiring the rifle was a long term proposition and a positive twist of fate. The Vet who brought it back had loaned it to a small museum in my very small home town, and I had told him that if he ever reclaimed it I would like to buy it. Probably 10 or more years went by, I moved away, and I had pretty much resolved that I would never own it. Out of the blue in 1986 I got a call from my Dad who said the Vet had dropped the rifle off at my parent's home.

I contacted the Vet, asked him what I owed him, and he said nothing; He said he knew I would care for it and that the museum (now in decline and more resembling a junk shop) would not. He had no capture papers and said his CO pretty much let the men bring back anything but explosives. Anyway, that's the back story for those who are interested in such.
Yes, yours is a gem. I have two S28s myself, one of them all matching. They are about the hardest interwar rifles to find. My hats off to your sir. Better hold on to that one! I'd have to be starving and in process of foreclosure to let either of mine go. Lol

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Cost of bolt fefunded

I sent the entire bolt back to the eBay seller who just gave me a full refund. I would have preferred to keep the bolt body because it is at least a pre-war bolt and the one my rifle came with is a later model. Oh well, I’ll keep looking for that elusive 98b bolt. I have the money to pay for it!

The bolt body and the extractor both have droop-wing eagle stamps. The numbers below the smaller eagles look like 115 and I think the one below the bolt handle is 115 also. I'm going to use the bolt body and extractor for my 98b because it's about as close as I'm gong to get. The "guts" all have the Polish "runes" so I'll offer those to Runner.

Like a good Us Army scrounger, I'm going to use some of the parts from the Russian capture bolt the rifle "came" with when I recently bought it. Though these parts are Russian capture, they are more appropriate for my rifle. The shroud has the k/167 marking which I am told makes it an early Oberndorf product which was made about the same time as the Sauer bolt body. The firing pin is marked e/623 which makes it a Steyer. but it has no Polish or Russian markings so I'll use that, the spring and the unmarked cocking piece. I've already re-assembled those parts and the new German mixmaster bolt is already in place. If I ever find Simson parts I can always add them. Otherwise, "it is what it is," as they say. At least now most of the parts are "period."

My parts mixing failed. I had to send the Norwegian mixmaster bolt back for a refund!

Military Rifle Journal
Back