Third Party Press

Books!

OzzMan

Is there a general thread that goes into good reference/historical information books for various rifles and handguns? For example, Hitler’s Garands. If not, i think something should be made. There are a ton of great books out there with a lot of information. Being somewhat new to the firearm book collecting, it’s hard to find what is worth the time and money without wasting both.

Thanks,
Ozz

pzjgr

EOD - bombs and bullets
For 98k's there is the original Backbone of the Wehrmacht, which was the first, but is dated, but is still a good basic book...

Of course then there is the 4 volume (technically 3, but volume 2 was so big its actually spread over two books) bible of 98k's, written by the two fine Gentleman who own/run this site...you can click on the link at the top of the page for ordering info if there are any left, or you are stuck with the secondary market to find them...

OzzMan

Probably not a bad idea to create a resource page for weapons of all sort.
Let me run it by Farb.

Michael hope all is well with you and the family!
It would also be a good idea to post it up to gunboards as well in case there is anyone here that is a mod there. It would be good to spread the knowledge.

Blackpowderresearcher

Suggestions:

William Brophy's The Springifled 1903 Rifles
Bruce Campbell The Smokeless Era
Peter Senich's The German Sniper 1914-1945 and, The Complete Book of US Sniping
Ian Skennerton's The Lee Enfield Rifle and .303 Pattern 1914 Rifle and Sniping Variants and The British Sniper
Bruce Canfield's US Small Arms of World War II, The M1 Garand Rifle and, An Illustrated Guide to the '03 Springfield Service Rifle.
Peter Laidler's An Armourer's Perspective .303 No. 4(T) Sniper Rifle and the Holland & Holland Connection.
Terrece Lapin, The Mosin-Nagant Rifle
Houghton, Steve, The British Sniper

Don't overlook the Collectors' Grade Publication for their excellent books.

Not book but a related link to sharpshooting 'n sniping: link to TheHighRoad (mods, if this is inappropriate, please delete)

ugafx4

I buy capture paper guns
Staff member
I have considered building off my uncompleted (to be finished soon) work of reading the 98k books front to back and expanding to individual posts about certain books. I have a pretty good library of reference books and a lot of them are great, but some are not. Perhaps we can make a discussion post for books and build off of that with questions and reviews.

Guillaume d'Orange

I have considered building off my uncompleted (to be finished soon) work of reading the 98k books front to back and expanding to individual posts about certain books. I have a pretty good library of reference books and a lot of them are great, but some are not. Perhaps we can make a discussion post for books and build off of that with questions and reviews.
Now that I have received Vol III (thanks Bruce !), I am ready to pick up where we left off with the Mauser University.

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
Guillaume go easy on Volume 3....while a worthy effort we know much more now than we did when Mike and I released that edition....

Guillaume d'Orange

Guillaume go easy on Volume 3....while a worthy effort we know much more now than we did when Mike and I released that edition....
:LOL: too late ! I already spent some time on the barrel codes. It's great that you have written a chapter about "French" K98ks.
If @ugafx4 restars the reading club, it will be a good opportunity to share and discuss your discoveries.
To come back to OP's topic, a place to discuss relevant books on the forum would be cool. Like music, books soothe the savage beast.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal