Third Party Press

Books!

OzzMan

Is there a general thread that goes into good reference/historical information books for various rifles and handguns? For example, Hitler’s Garands. If not, i think something should be made. There are a ton of great books out there with a lot of information. Being somewhat new to the firearm book collecting, it’s hard to find what is worth the time and money without wasting both.

Thanks,
Ozz

For 98k's there is the original Backbone of the Wehrmacht, which was the first, but is dated, but is still a good basic book...

Of course then there is the 4 volume (technically 3, but volume 2 was so big its actually spread over two books) bible of 98k's, written by the two fine Gentleman who own/run this site...you can click on the link at the top of the page for ordering info if there are any left, or you are stuck with the secondary market to find them...

Probably not a bad idea to create a resource page for weapons of all sort.
Let me run it by Farb.

Michael hope all is well with you and the family!
It would also be a good idea to post it up to gunboards as well in case there is anyone here that is a mod there. It would be good to spread the knowledge.

Suggestions:

William Brophy's The Springifled 1903 Rifles
Bruce Campbell The Smokeless Era
Peter Senich's The German Sniper 1914-1945 and, The Complete Book of US Sniping
Ian Skennerton's The Lee Enfield Rifle and .303 Pattern 1914 Rifle and Sniping Variants and The British Sniper
Bruce Canfield's US Small Arms of World War II, The M1 Garand Rifle and, An Illustrated Guide to the '03 Springfield Service Rifle.
Peter Laidler's An Armourer's Perspective .303 No. 4(T) Sniper Rifle and the Holland & Holland Connection.
Terrece Lapin, The Mosin-Nagant Rifle
Houghton, Steve, The British Sniper

Don't overlook the Collectors' Grade Publication for their excellent books.

Not book but a related link to sharpshooting 'n sniping: link to TheHighRoad (mods, if this is inappropriate, please delete)

I have considered building off my uncompleted (to be finished soon) work of reading the 98k books front to back and expanding to individual posts about certain books. I have a pretty good library of reference books and a lot of them are great, but some are not. Perhaps we can make a discussion post for books and build off of that with questions and reviews.

I have considered building off my uncompleted (to be finished soon) work of reading the 98k books front to back and expanding to individual posts about certain books. I have a pretty good library of reference books and a lot of them are great, but some are not. Perhaps we can make a discussion post for books and build off of that with questions and reviews.
Now that I have received Vol III (thanks Bruce !), I am ready to pick up where we left off with the Mauser University.

Guillaume go easy on Volume 3....while a worthy effort we know much more now than we did when Mike and I released that edition....

Guillaume go easy on Volume 3....while a worthy effort we know much more now than we did when Mike and I released that edition....
:LOL: too late ! I already spent some time on the barrel codes. It's great that you have written a chapter about "French" K98ks.
If @ugafx4 restars the reading club, it will be a good opportunity to share and discuss your discoveries.
To come back to OP's topic, a place to discuss relevant books on the forum would be cool. Like music, books soothe the savage beast.

Last edited:
:LOL: too late ! I already spent some time on the barrel codes. It's great that you have written a chapter about "French" K98ks.
If @ugafx4 restars the reading club, it will be a good opportunity to share and discuss your discoveries.
To come back to OP's topic, a place to discuss relevant books on the forum would be cool. Like music, books soothe the savage beast.

Lets get this back started. I will put up a poll and we can decide the book that we read after this. Turn it into a book/review club.

Was there any decision on making a sticky post on good reference books that aren’t outdated?

I think I might make a new post on this topic here soon and update it as I collect more books. My goal would be to have 1-3 books per weapon. For example

AK47 & Variants: The Grim Reaper 2nd Edition by Frank Iannamico

I know it’s considered the “AK Bible” and I don’t know of many books that rival it. There might be better books on specific AKs which would be named once found. I would mostly be doing this to keep people from overpaying for a book that might be considered sub par to some or most collectors.

If this is a general military firearms reference library list I can suggest a few:
(A fair amount of these are out of print)
Mauser Military Rifles of the World by Ball
Argentine Mauser Rifles by Webster
The Crown Jewels the Mauser in Sweden by Jones
Death From Above The German FG42 by Dugelby
Rock in a Hard Place The Browning Automatic Rifle by Ballou
The Black Rifle by Ezell (Covers AR/M16 development until the 1980s)
The Armalite AR-10 the World's Finest Battle Rifle by Evans
War Baby series by Ruth (M1 Carbine)
Any of Bruce Canfield's books on American Arms
The Dieter Storz Trilogy on Imperial German Rifles
The Verlag German Machine Gun Book (Covers Imperial MGs and their use in WW1)
Desperate Measures Volksstrum Weapons by Weaver
The Schmeisser Myth German Subguns of both World Wars by Helebrant
Devil's Paintbrush Maxim MGs by Goldsmith
The Browning Machine Gun Series by Goldsmith
Sturmgewehr From Firepower to Striking Power by Handrich
The FN Pistol books by Vanderlinden
FN Mauser Rifles by Vanderlinden (Covers Belgian 89s and export Mausers made by FN)
The Verlag Belgian Army series Volume. 2 (Covers WW1 weapons of the Belgian Army)
Military Rifles of Japan by Honeycutt
The Japanese Type 38 Rifle by Allen
The Japanese Type 99 Rifle by Voight
Japanese Military Cartridge Handguns by Derby
Experiment & Trial by Willemsen (Covers various prototypes from late 19th/early 20th century w/ a heavy emphasis on Dutch stuff)

If this is a general military firearms reference library list I can suggest a few:
(A fair amount of these are out of print)
Mauser Military Rifles of the World by Ball
Argentine Mauser Rifles by Webster
The Crown Jewels the Mauser in Sweden by Jones
Death From Above The German FG42 by Dugelby
Rock in a Hard Place The Browning Automatic Rifle by Ballou
The Black Rifle by Ezell (Covers AR/M16 development until the 1980s)
The Armalite AR-10 the World's Finest Battle Rifle by Evans
War Baby series by Ruth (M1 Carbine)
Any of Bruce Canfield's books on American Arms
The Dieter Storz Trilogy on Imperial German Rifles
The Verlag German Machine Gun Book (Covers Imperial MGs and their use in WW1)
Desperate Measures Volksstrum Weapons by Weaver
The Schmeisser Myth German Subguns of both World Wars by Helebrant
Devil's Paintbrush Maxim MGs by Goldsmith
The Browning Machine Gun Series by Goldsmith
Sturmgewehr From Firepower to Striking Power by Handrich
The FN Pistol books by Vanderlinden
FN Mauser Rifles by Vanderlinden (Covers Belgian 89s and export Mausers made by FN)
The Verlag Belgian Army series Volume. 2 (Covers WW1 weapons of the Belgian Army)
Military Rifles of Japan by Honeycutt
The Japanese Type 38 Rifle by Allen
The Japanese Type 99 Rifle by Voight
Japanese Military Cartridge Handguns by Derby
Experiment & Trial by Willemsen (Covers various prototypes from late 19th/early 20th century w/ a heavy emphasis on Dutch stuff)
Marc, these would be an excellent way to start the thread off. I’m going to late this over into a note on my phone so I have it at the ready.

I’m definitely going to try and gravitate towards books that are mostly, if not unanimously, agreed on.

Connor, when I get home tonight I can check my library too I know there's more I'm forgetting.
If it helps you can just send me some pictures of the books while they’re on the shelf. Saves you a lot of typing.

A few more:
Proud Promise by Jean Huon (French Semi Auto Rifles from Pre-WW1 to Cold War)
Honour Bound The Chauchat Machine Rifle
Inglis Diamond by Clive Law (Inglis Hi Powers)
French Service Handguns 1858-2004 by Medlin
American Thunder Military Thompson Submachine guns by Iannamico
The US M14 rifle the last Steel Warrior by Iannamico
The Reising Submachine Gun Story by Iannamico

Military Rifle Journal
Back