Third Party Press

CARL EICKHORN BAYONET

charlie

NEW TO THE BAYONET COLLECTING, SO EXCUSE MY IGNORANCE, I WAS HANDED A CARL EICKHORN BAYONET THIS MORNING ,I HAVE SEARCHED AND SEARCH AND CANNOT FINE ANY THING WITH A "J"STAMP ON IT , THE MARKING IS 6993 WITH A "J" UNDER THE NUMBERS , I WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT WHAT YEAR IT WAS MADE , I KNOW BETWEEN 1935 AND 1941 "I THINK" ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.

Muncher 1953

in order to help, we need clear detailed close up photographs, taken in good light. overall views of each side and close ups of the marks on the root of the blade (both sides). I’m no expert, but there are some here who may be able to help, but they’ll need the photos.

charlie

in order to help, we need clear detailed close up photographs, taken in good light. overall views of each side and close ups of the marks on the root of the blade (both sides). I’m no expert, but there are some here who may be able to help, but they’ll need the photos.
THANK YOU I WILL SEE IF I CAN LOAD UP SOME PICTURES FOR YOU.

charlie

hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_2881.jpg
    IMG_2881.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2880.jpg
    IMG_2880.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2882.jpg
    IMG_2882.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2885.jpg
    IMG_2885.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2883.jpg
    IMG_2883.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 21

grimlin13

The J you are asking about is the block number. The bayonets were done in blocks of 10,000. The first 10,000 would be the no letter block, then the next 10,000 would be the "A" block. The next would be the "B" block and so on until they reached "Z" At that point, if production for that year was continued, they would start the "AA" block and on to "ZZ' Not sure on exact year of manufacture of your bayonet. The manufacturer`s name (Carl Eickhorn)was used for 3 years (1938,1939,1940) on the blades. The year of production should be stamped on the spine (top edge of blade) near the cross guard with 38 , 39 or 40. Yours does not appear to be stamped. If it is in it`s original issued and matching scabbard, the manufacturer`s name and year of production would be on one side with the serial number being on the other.
Not going to detail the condition, will leave that to others if they wish and I am sure Andy ( one of forum`s bayonet gods) will be able to tell you more and clear up the date issue. That being said you need to show a pic of the manufacture`s name or if it is one of the codes for Carl Eickhorn that is on the other side of blade.

charlie

great information !!! thank you
i have pic with the name but computer says file to large so im going to try again to get the name picture.

charlie

hope this helps, either way, i'm giving it to my son for display, knowing some history of will be fun to share, i hope he displays it well .

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 14

AndyB

Thanks for nice words grimlin, but i am still learning, and could made too some errors and some better Experts are still here.
To Carl Eickhorn, looks like a period piece, normally it should be marked with same serial number and letter of range on scabbard, mostly hidden by frog as near mouth area, the frog is marked gfg 1942 most real, the blade was unfortunally sharpened and probably used as a tool, no visible remains of blueing probably, the spine of blade near crossguard should be dated, 37 i assume, as the J serial is confirmed in 1937 and the wood grips were still used in 1937, when the wood grips are there origin. Looks like the pommel was hammered. Should be WaA253 proofed on parts.i hope this helps a little.

charlie

all this information is great and i really appreciate it, i'm going to print this out and give it to my son so he has it to refer back to when talking about this piece,
now to work on a display for it.
thank you guys.

grimlin13

You are welcome Andy. I had forgot that Eickhorn used the name as well as the s-code (S/172) in `37. In pics provided, it looks like the date was not stamped on spine. Other 1937 Eickhorn bayonets that I have seen have the date stamped there. This bayonet has been "cleaned" but, it does not appear to have had the numbers ground off. So maybe they just missed stamping it?
I do not think the scabbard is original to bayonet. Can not see the lines in the frog hook, but the pic is not clear that shows hook so I could be wrong.
To op, you are welcome for info.

AndyB

Hard to say there is a 37, normally it should be anyway when looking on flashguard and rifle slot there was heavy filling done, so maybe similar on blade, i would personally proof to polish the sharpening so no visible filing spures, the press button could be removed and the slot proper filled, anyway the locking nut would be not movable as the pommel was heavy hammered. The cold blueing could be applied on blade, and screws should be added into grips.
The scabbard i dont see details, but i believe grimlin should be right when not horizontal lines on hook, so not proper one,or not matching one, the 1942 dated frog could tend to war period scabbard.

Military Rifle Journal