Third Party Press

Cleaning Procedures : gewöhnliche Reinigung, Hauptreinigung

Guillaume d'Orange

Hi gents, can anyone tell me if the cleaning procedures have been translated here on the forum or in the reference books (the 3 vol Bible or BBOTW) ?

Obviously they are in the English translations of the Reibert or manuals.
On the forum, there's this thread which mentions the Außerordentliche Reinigung : https://www.k98kforum.com/threads/u...ing-k98ks-waffenmeisters-field-reworks.31398/
but nothing about the gewöhnliche Reinigung (usual cleaning) or the Hauptreinigung (main cleaning).

Thanks.

There is an English translation of the manual H.Dv.256 of 18.7.36 about the use of the Reinigungserät 34 for sale on the Internet.

Gewöhnliche Reinigung (ordinary cleaning) and Hauptreinigung (main cleaning) were the two basic weapons cleaning procedures. The first was carried out after the use of the weapons after drills and exercises, without having been fired; the second one always after firing the weapons, were very dirty or had to be stored. Obviously the main cleaning was more thorough and in the case of the Model 98 weapons, for example, it included the full take apart of the bolt components.

There was also an Außerordentliche Reinigung der Schußwaffen 98. This was referred to an extraordinary cleaning of all Model 98 rifles which was generally carried out once a year (in the middle of the year) in accordance with official regulations.

Antoni

Thanks Antoni, I have a copy of the Reibert and of the unofficial manual "Karabiner 98k und seine Handhabung".
I might give a try at translating the two versions into English when I have time and I will post them here for reference with some pics related to cleaning that I've found on "www.kriegsberichter-archive.com
Cheers
KB_Buschel_100.jpg

Here is the original text from "Karabiner 98k und seine Handhabung" (1936):

Reinigungsregeln :

Gewöhnliche Reinigung : aus Karabiner nicht geschossen, nicht naß, nicht stark verstaubt.
Hauptreinigung nach jedem Schießen, wenn Waffe naß oder stark verstaubt, vor Lagerung auf Kammer.
  • Blankreiben von Waffenteilen, schwarzen Flecken, Rostnarben schädigt Karabiner! Feste Rückstande im Lauf beseitigt Waffenunteroffizier (Waffenmeisterei!)
  • Vor jedem Schießen Laufinneres mit Reinigungsdocht entölen ! Sonst schlechte Schüsse !
  • Reinigungsgerät vor Sand bewahren! Nach jedem Waffenreinigen säubern, vor allem die Reinigungsbürsten !
  • Karabiner auf Waffenkammer monatlich einmal mit trockenem Reinigungsdocht durchziehen ! Das reine Laufinnere einölen (zweimal) !
Ausführung der Hauptreinigung beim Karabiner 98 kurz:

Zweck: 1) Entfernen der durch vorläufiges Einölen gelösten Pulverrückstände und Fremdkörper !
2) Reinigen aller Teile zum Schutz vor Verroftung !

Ausführung: allein durch einen Mann !

Reihenfolge:
  • Mündungsschoner auf ! Deckel auf !
  • Schloß heraus
  • Reinigungsbürste ölen und vom Patronenlager zweimal durch Lauf ziehen !
  • Reinigungsdocht in Doppelhacken der Reinigungskette einhängen
    1. Dazu:
      1. Hacken öffnen !
      2. Dochtmitte bis an Wirbel führen !
      3. Hacken mit Daumen und Zeigefinger gut schließen ! (sonst Schrammen im Lauf !)
      4. Docht mit rechter Hand in die Hakenenden hineinziehen ! Alle Fäden müssen von den Enden erfaßt sein.
  • Reinigungskette mit trockenem Reinigungsdocht vom Patronenlager aus durch den Lauf lassen !
  • Hierzu Karabiner mit Kolben auf den Boden setzen ! Dann greift linke Hand zwischen Ober- und Unterring.
  • Rechte Hand zieht Reinigungskette durch den Lauf ! Beim Ziehen ist die Reinigungskette unter wiederholtem vorgreifen um die Hand zu wickeln ! Reinigungsdochte nicht zu stark machen !
  • Bis zu 3 Reinigungsdochten durchziehen, bis letzter Docht rein bleibt ! Sind Dochte nicht schmutzig geworden, die innere Seite nach außen wenden und das Durchziehen wiederholen ! Im Laufinneren verbleiben nur feste Rückstände.
  • Ölbürste mit beiden Hacken einhacken und einführen
  • Ölen der Ölbürste:
  • Bund des Tropfenventils zwischen Zeige- und Mittelfinger nehmen !
  • Durch Drück mit Daumen auf Luftventil einige Tropfen Ol freilassen !
  • Ölbürste zweimal durch den Lauf ziehen !
  • Mündungsschoner ab ! Reinigen !
  • Hülsenkopf auswischen ! Hierzu saubern Reinigungsdocht durch Ohr des Hülsenkopfzwischers ziehen und fest um den gezahnten Steg knoten ! Die Gleichen Enden um den Stiel wickeln !
  • Schloß zerlegen ! Reinigen ! Ölen !
  • Übrige Stahlteile mit Docht und Reinigungslappen reinigen und ölen !
  • Schaft und Handschutz reinigen und firnissen !
  • Schafteinlassungen mit Waffenfett verstreichen !
  • Karabiner zusammensetzen !
  • Reinigungsgerät, besonders Reinigungsbürsten, säubern !
Hauptreinigung ist durch vorläufiges Ölen sofort nach jedem Schießen, nach dem Naßwerden oder stärket Verstaubung zu erleichtern. Die Rückstände oder Fremdkörper sollen sich mit dem Öl vermengen.

Reihenfolge beim vorläufigen Ölen:
  • Mündungsschoner auf ! Deckel auf !
  • Schloß bis zum Kammerfang zurückziehen !
  • Reinigungsbürste reichlich ölen !
  • Einmal mit Reinigungskette ziehen !

And my translation in English:

Cleaning rules:
  • Ordinary cleaning: no shot fired, not wet, not very dusty.
  • Main cleaning after each firing, if the weapon is wet or very dusty, before storage in the chamber.
  • Rubbing off gun parts, black spots, rust scars will damage the carbine! The weapon NCO (armory) eliminates hard residues.
  • De-oil the inside of the barrel with a cleaning wick before each shooting! Otherwise bad shots!
  • Protect cleaning equipment from sand! Clean after every gun cleaning, especially the cleaning brushes!
  • Take the carbine out of storage once a month and pull through a dry cleaning wick! Oil the inside of the barrel (twice)!
Execution of the main cleaning for the Karabiner 98 short:

Purpose: 1) Removal of the powder residues and foreign bodies dissolved by preliminary oiling!
2) Clean all parts to protect against rust!

Execution: by one man alone!

Steps:
  • Muzzle cap put on ! Lid opened !
  • Bolt out
  • Oil the cleaning brush and pull it through the barrel twice from the chamber!
  • Hang the cleaning wick in the double hooks of the cleaning chain!
For this purpose:​
  1. Open hook!
  2. Lead the middle of the wick to the vertebra!
  3. Close the hook well with your thumb and forefinger! (otherwise scratches in the barrel!)
  4. Pull the wick into the hook ends with your right hand! All threads must be caught by the ends.
  • Let the cleaning chain with a dry cleaning wick run through the barrel from the cartridge chamber!
  • To do this, place the carabiner with the butt on the floor! Then your left hand grips between the upper and lower bands.
  • Right hand pulls cleaning chain through the barrel! When pulling, the cleaning chain is to be wrapped around the hand, reaching forward repeatedly! Do not make cleaning wicks too strong!
  • Pull up to 3 cleaning wicks through until the last one remains clean! If the wicks are not dirty, turn the inside out and repeat the pulling process! Only solid residues remain inside the barrel.
  • Chop in the oiling brush with both hooks and insert
  • Oiling the oiling brush:
  • Take the collar of the drop valve between your index and middle finger!
  • Release a few drops of oil by pressing the air valve with your thumb!
  • Pull the oiling brush through the barrel twice!
  • Remove muzzle cap ! Clean it !
  • Wipe out the receiver head ! To do this, pull the cleaning wick through the ear of the receiver head cleaner and knot tightly around the serrated bar! Wrap the same ends around the stem!
  • Disassemble the bolt ! Clean ! Oil !
  • Clean the remaining steel parts with a wick and cleaning cloth and oil!
  • Clean and varnish the stock and handguard !
  • Smear the stock openings with gun grease!
  • Put together the rifle !
  • Clean cleaning equipment, especially cleaning brushes!
Main cleaning can be facilitated by preliminary oiling immediately after shooting, after getting wet or if the dust builds up. Residues or foreign bodies should mix with the oil.

Steps of preliminary oiling:
  • Muzzle cap put on ! Lid opened !
  • Pull the bolt back to the bolt catch!
  • Oil the cleaning brush generously!
  • Pull once with the cleaning chain!

Last edited:
Some comments:
- I've looked at the Reibert (1940) and there's no major difference.
- I'm not satisfied with my translation of some words : "Wirbel" or "Schafteinlassungen". Any remark from German native speakers among members is welcome.

The "vorläufiges Ölen" or preliminary oiling in brief:
- 1x oiled cleaning brush

The "Hauptreiningung" or main cleaning in short:
- 2x oiled cleaning brush
- 3x dry wicks (it shall be enough for the last one to come out clean)
- 2x oiled oiling brush
- receiver head cleaning
- cleaning of the bolt (disassembled)
- "varnishing"
- "greasing"

About the "gewöhnliche Reinigung" or usual/ordinary cleaning, here is the procedure (in short) from the Reibert:
- 1x dry wick
- 1x oiled oiling brush
- receiver head cleaning
- cleaning of the bolt (not disassembled)

Personal comments:
- I was surprised to see that the "receiver head cleaning" with the "Hülsenkopfzwischer" came last (I would have done that first).
- There's this interesting thread on the forum (https://www.k98kforum.com/threads/weapon-lubrication-and-preservation-in-the-wehrmacht.29638/) mentioning "Waffenfett"/grease and "Firnis"/linseed varnish (to be replaced by Ballistol), does anyone have original cans or bottles of this stuff ?
- In the pics below, you will notice that all the folks are standing not seated when cleaning (might be obvious, but worth noting)

Last edited:
An SS guy performing "main cleaning" by the book (notice how he kept the sling over his shoulder to point the rifle down) :

KB_Lindeken_109.jpg KB_Lindeken_110.jpg

Last edited:
Really interesting that they had no extra steps to clean corrosive ammunition. Was German cleaning oil capable of cleaning out corrosive salts? I was positive they used Ballistol. I know WWII USGI bore cleaner had a mild copper cleaning effect, it could rinse corrosive salts, it obviously was capable of removing fouling and it left behind a little bit of oil to act as a protectant until you could put a nice oily patch through.

Reactions: b98
Thanks Guillaume d'Orange, a great job and very good photos!

Really interesting that they had no extra steps to clean corrosive ammunition. Was German cleaning oil capable of cleaning out corrosive salts? I was positive they used Ballistol. I know WWII USGI bore cleaner had a mild copper cleaning effect, it could rinse corrosive salts, it obviously was capable of removing fouling and it left behind a little bit of oil to act as a protectant until you could put a nice oily patch through.

Related to the use of corrosive ammunition, the Germans emphasized the importance of oiling the barrel as soon as possible after firing, cleaning it thoroughly on the same day, and repeating the barrel oiling procedures the next day as well as the second day after their use. In the German manuals of the time, the Waffenreinigungsöl is described as a mixture of oils with the addition of alkalis. The term Nachschlagen also appears in the literature of the time, which refers to the harmful consequences of not thorough cleaning of the interior of the barrel after firing, so cleaning procedures had to be carried out in the manner described above to avoid their appearance.

Antoni

Military Rifle Journal
Back