Third Party Press

Code 42 k98k russian captures for $1500+??

Pidilious

I've been looking around some collector gun websites and have seen 2 different websites list code 42 russian captures for $1500+. Can anyone give me a little insight on why? Also what are the actual going prices for a code 42 Been MIA on here for a while so sorry if this has come up already.

Remfan

Certainly does seem R/Cs have taken quite a jump in price recently. but $1500 does sound a bit much as a matching example could be had for that amount some time ago. More recently I am aware of R/Cs more in the $700 range for a decent price but sellers often asking inflated prices and often getting it as we all know here. Paid about $275 for a BYF-44 back in 93 at an LGS that got a bunch from CAI imports but of course was a mix-matcher. Guess as supply dries up even the less desirable 98ks are commanding much more money these days.

heavy_mech

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual
I've been looking around some collector gun websites and have seen 2 different websites list code 42 russian captures for $1500+. Can anyone give me a little insight on why? Also what are the actual going prices for a code 42 Been MIA on here for a while so sorry if this has come up already.
There's your answer. Without naming any names it's become aware that they have no problem really pushing this issue, often with a huge serving of hyperbole and inuendo. If these sales are realized at what many of us would consider obscene prices, does that make a 'new normal'? I don't but that's up for debate among others. Prices have certainly risen.

Cyrano4747

Are you actually seeing them sell for that much? Or just posted on Gunbroker or the like? Because people will do all sorts of dumb fishing expedition crap with their guns.

I mean, I've got a 1939 dated 42 code RC that anyone can have for $1500 if they want it. Lots of sentimental value (it was my first K98k) but you can dry a lot of tears with fifteen hundred dollar bills.

My personal take is that the current normal for a good condition RC with a less common code/year seems to be $500-700. Maybe overpriced in our collective opinion, maybe not, but they're moving at that price and that seems to be the market value.

Pidilious

Are you actually seeing them sell for that much? Or just posted on Gunbroker or the like? Because people will do all sorts of dumb fishing expedition crap with their guns.

I mean, I've got a 1939 dated 42 code RC that anyone can have for $1500 if they want it. Lots of sentimental value (it was my first K98k) but you can dry a lot of tears with fifteen hundred dollar bills.

My personal take is that the current normal for a good condition RC with a less common code/year seems to be $500-700. Maybe overpriced in our collective opinion, maybe not, but they're moving at that price and that seems to be the market value.
Saw it on simpson Ltd and Collector firearms (Collector being on the worse side of pricing for most things), but Simpson Ltd has always had some pretty fair pricing. just kinda crazy that they are asking this much for something non mathcing.

Muncher 1953

Last month one of the guys in my local collector’s club (New Hampshire Arms Collectors) had an rc he was asking $800 for. I don’t remember the code but it was typical rc, mismatched & ep’d. I don’t think he sold it at either August meeting, but he didn’t have it with him on 9/7 & wasn’t there last night, so he may have found a buyer at $800. Unless it was an especially nice rifle, I’ve paid less for ordinary mismatched shooter rifles in the last 2 years, bought here on the forum. I’m a bit surprised that you see Simpson’s pricing as fair, but I guess that shows I’m cheap!
As a data point, I bought 2 rifles in the last 9 months, one almost all matching (cocking piece a close #) & a factory mismatched rifle, neither a ‘rare’ code, but each in the $1500 range, in person deals from forum members.

IMO, ‘collector websites’ aren’t the best place to buy a rifle, but others may have different experiences.

heavy_mech

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual
IMO, ‘collector websites’ aren’t the best place to buy a rifle, but others may have different experiences.
Well in terms of eye candy and instant gratification they're a win and I think that's a big part of it. I couldn't tell you at the moment but the Grey Blanket had a ton of followers on GB that put eyes on everything he puts up.

Muncher 1953

those sites DO play a role in the hobby, & they certainly get some very nice stuff that might not be seen by folks if not for their businesses. I suppose that for those whose collections are more ‘mature’ (I mean the stuff, not the collector) the more unusual & higher end offerings may seem attractive. From the perspective of someone just starting out, I see them more as driving the inflation in prices we all feel.

Cyrano4747

Two other things to keep in mind:

1) there is a subset of collectors with more money than time who don’t want to spend hours, days, and weeks pouring over sample photos of bolt roots teaching themselves to spot a fake. Lots of lawyers and doctors out there who want a genuine Nazi rifle for their collection, want to feel like they got the real thing, and who aren’t going to feel the difference between $1500 and $3000. We might collectively shake our heads at that and we all know those sites sell humped guns too, but there’s a market for a “premium” customer experience.

2) no store, be it a fancy online surplus botique or a corner pawn shop, can match the price a fellow collector can give you in a face to face or forum sale. The guy posting a sell ad doesn’t have to cover rent for a storefront, employee salaries, business taxes, etc all while making enough of a profit to make his time worthwhile.

Military Rifle Journal