Third Party Press

Commonwealth Capture 1936 S/42

samuel990

I have been looking for an AA marked K98 for quite some time now and finally found one. The AA marking most likely indicates processing through Alexandria Arsenal. The rifle is a 1936 S/42 with matching numbers (except the cleaning rod) and a matching untouched stock. Out of all the k98's the Commonwealth captures have always been the most interesting to me! Very excited to have found one.

(The lighting outside does the stock no justice, it is simply bright and golden in real life)

IMG-2506.jpg IMG-2499.jpg IMG-2498.jpg IMG-2500.jpg IMG-2501.jpg IMG-2503.jpg IMG-2504.jpg

cj556

Beautiful rifle, these Brit captures are very neat. I have a 1936 oberndorf too matching less the rod that was purportedly brought back by a USAAF officer in North Africa.

samuel990

Beautiful rifle, these Brit captures are very neat. I have a 1936 oberndorf too matching less the rod that was purportedly brought back by a USAAF officer in North Africa.

Very cool, I find the rifles that have some sort of trail are the most interesting to me.

Jakeman664

I've heard of but never seen any Commonwealth captures. Figured they'd surplus them after the war but maybe they just destroyed most of them. Beautiful rifle glad the British arsenal system didn't do it Soviet style and change all the parts. Also on a side note the gun 600 serials off yours (#1930 no letter block) just sold the other weekend. Wonder if there was a cache of S/42's in North Africa.

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
Another no-letter block S/42 1936, not far away from the rifle that sold at the auction in Cumberland MD.
Remember guys that the no-letter block for this code was not the first block of rifles in 1936.

GeeRam

Beautiful rifle glad the British arsenal system didn't do it Soviet style and change all the parts.

British REME armourers would never have done as their mindset was decades of dealing with Lee-Enfields and similar weapons, that were all part matched and individually hand fitted and numbered accordingly. You can't just swap bolts in an Enfield for example, they have to be hand fettled and fitted to the receiver.

GEM

My all matching 1938 147 code commonwealth capture came from potomac arms (interarms) in the 1960's. Indications are that they came a batch from India after capture from Portuguese forces in their war in Goa.

Military Rifle Journal