Third Party Press

Completing a matched K98.

DukeIronHand

Currently cleaning a all matching (except for the safety) Bruno 43 bolt group from my otherwise all matching BYF 44.
It came to me with an obvious and shiny non-serialized Czech safety (presumed post war) that I have since replaced with a “real” K98 safety albeit with the wrong serial number. Of course I wonder how cool it would be to find this safety. Or even better “my” BYF 44 bolt.

I get the odds would be astronomical but has anyone ever managed, thru advertising, asking, posting, or just incredible and amazing luck, to stumble across a matching serialized part for their K98?

EDIT: Oh. If someone has a K98 ending in “3767” I have your safety.
;)

Last edited:
There are several 'lists' on both here and Gunboards I believe but I'm not aware of anyone ever marrying up their rifle with the matching bolt. If anyone does know of such an occurance I'd love to here of it. I do know kit guys have found their matching bolts from a batch of kits bought in from import batches so I do suppose it's possible.

Knew about the Gunboard one but I guess I never noticed the one here.
Thanks! I’ve always been a bit lucky - let’s see how much!

Currently cleaning a all matching (except for the safety) Bruno 43 bolt group from my otherwise all matching BYF 44.
It came to me with an obvious and shiny non-serialized Czech safety (presumed post war) that I have since replaced with a “real” K98 safety albeit with the wrong serial number. Of course I wonder how cool it would be to find this safety. Or even better “my” BYF 44 bolt.

I get the odds would be astronomical but has anyone ever managed, thru advertising, asking, posting, or just incredible and amazing luck, to stumble across a matching serialized part for their K98?

EDIT: Oh. If someone has a K98 ending in “3767” I have your safety.
;)

Why don't you put an armorers spare safety on it, it will be unnumbered, waffenamted and someimes have an S/42 (or other manufacturers code on it), almost as good as matching.

Why don't you put an armorers spare safety on it, it will be unnumbered, waffenamted and someimes have an S/42 (or other manufacturers code on it), almost as good as matching.

Are those considered correct? I have a safety that is waffenamted but not serialized on my BYF 44, the striking piece is unnumbered as well and the firing pin is a different serial number. I figured the previous owner lost it when disassembling the rifle and slapped some new ones on. Mine does have carry wear though.

There are several 'lists' on both here and Gunboards I believe but I'm not aware of anyone ever marrying up their rifle with the matching bolt. If anyone does know of such an occurance I'd love to here of it. I do know kit guys have found their matching bolts from a batch of kits bought in from import batches so I do suppose it's possible.

I came close 1940 660 serial 770n matching except bolt but firing proofs and Reichsadlers removed by grinding receiver, other marks left (Romanian?). Simpsons had a bolt mismatch 1941 bnz with the same number and letter block 770n bolt. They wouldn't sell just the bolt or swap bolts, and they wanted $3800 for the whole bolt mismatched rifle and this was a couple years ago. Still wouldn't have been the correct bolt but close.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

That would be cool also till the miracle of the ages occurs and my BYF bolt shows up or the matching Bruno safety.
Do you know a source of such a safety? Guess I had the impression that armorers spares were “rare and pricey” but perhaps I am confusing just certain types of spares.

I came close 1940 660 serial 770n matching except bolt but firing proofs and Reichsadlers removed by grinding receiver, other marks left (Romanian?). Simpsons had a bolt mismatch 1941 bnz with the same number and letter block 770n bolt. They wouldn't sell just the bolt or swap bolts, and they wanted $3800 for the whole bolt mismatched rifle and this was a couple years ago. Still wouldn't have been the correct bolt but close.

Yes this would probably be a additional problem if lightning strikes and you find your match.
“My matching BYF bolt” is not just sitting there all by itself waiting for me to pick it up. A business would do just what happened to you.
Even another collector could be dicey and I get it. My current bolt, though a rifle mismatch matches itself, is in very nice condition, smooth as butter, and headspaces correctly. Would I straight up do a blind trade?
I probably would but I tend to be a little too trusting of the good intentions of my fellow gun owners I think. A USMC hangover I suspect.

..Simpsons had a bolt mismatch 1941 bnz.... and they wanted $3800

WTF? I know about crazy retailer prices but come on! That must have been the greatest bolt m/m in history AND a concentrate camp killa. :facepalm:

You sure that price wasn't for 3 of them?

WTF? I know about crazy retailer prices but come on! That must have been the greatest bolt m/m in history AND a concentrate camp killa. :facepalm:

You sure that price wasn't for 3 of them?
Yeah it was ridiculously overpriced, and someone bought it within a week of me seeing it. Was at least 2 years ago.

Trying to match up a bolt

That would be cool also till the miracle of the ages occurs and my BYF bolt shows up or the matching Bruno safety.
Do you know a source of such a safety? Guess I had the impression that armorers spares were “rare and pricey” but perhaps I am confusing just certain types of spares.

I have a couple spares, though not cheap they are not outrageously expensive. PM me if interested.
Bob32268

Yeah, I figure the odds of finding a matching part are about 1 in 9,999, and that doesn't take letter blocks into consideration. That said, I needed a milled 98K floorplate. Liberty Tree Collectables advertised them, without serial numbers. I ordered one. It showed up, numbered, and it matches the rifle!

Are armorers saftey's considered correct?

Are those considered correct? I have a safety that is waffenamted but not serialized on my BYF 44, the striking piece is unnumbered as well and the firing pin is a different serial number. I figured the previous owner lost it when disassembling the rifle and slapped some new ones on. Mine does have carry wear though.

My own personal opinion is they are correct, in field use rifles get damaged, parts break or malfunction. Field area armorer puts on a spare safety and sends
it back to the front-line troops to use again. Sure, it's not its factory original numbered safety, but it's not a mismatched numbered one either. I guess it all
depends how you want to look at it. Lets here from some other members on this subject, I'm curious as to their outlook on this subject.
Bob32268

Yeah, I figure the odds of finding a matching part are about 1 in 9,999, and that doesn't take letter blocks into consideration. That said, I needed a milled 98K floorplate. Liberty Tree Collectables advertised them, without serial numbers. I ordered one. It showed up, numbered, and it matches the rifle!

Uh wow. Quick! Go buy a lottery ticket!

I have sold armorer spares for $35 as recent as last year. Sadly none left. The problem is when they DO SHOW UP folks sell them for prices like their funding a kids college. I'll look but pretty sure I'm out. I have a couple cocking pieces I think but no safeties.

Armorers spare safety

I have sold armorer spares for $35 as recent as last year. Sadly none left. The problem is when they DO SHOW UP folks sell them for prices like their funding a kids college. I'll look but pretty sure I'm out. I have a couple cocking pieces I think but no safeties.

I already PM'd him an offer on one for $35.00 if he wants it.
tks,
Bob

What a great story! Too bad we don't have a sticky section for stories like this...

Richie

Military Rifle Journal
Back