Third Party Press

DOT 1941 G33/40 Mountain Carbine 3735C

Hercules

Heres my 1941 G33/40 Mountain Carbine. It is all matching and with a one piece Walnut Stock. This is my first one. They are hard to find all matching and in good condition. It seems most have issues.

I put an original G33/40 Sight Hood on it. Next to it is a Sarco Repro sight hood for comparison. Also, have an original G33/40 cleaning rod on rifle now in the 5th picture from the bottom. It is the 11 inch cleaning rod with taper at patch end in that 5th picture from bottom.

I never did get the hand guard off the rifle as it is too brittle and I did not want to crack it. That spring steel clip on the bottom is really attached. I wanted to see if the hand guard was numbered or not. I would assume if it is suppose to be then it is.

Also, I was going to remove the white stuff, but was waiting to get the hand guard off and use lighter fluid to clean it out. The white stuff is pretty hard by now from being in there for years.

Any suggestions on getting hand guard off without breaking it? I have removed the sight screw and lifted the sight leaf. Clip is hard to remove from barrel.

IMG_2197.JPGIMG_2202.JPGIMG_2205.JPGIMG_2209.JPGIMG_2203.JPGIMG_2210.JPGIMG_2204.JPGIMG_2207.JPGIMG_2196.JPGIMG_2211.JPGIMG_2224.JPGIMG_2193.JPGIMG_2212.JPGIMG_2213.JPGIMG_2201.JPG

Last edited:
Sure is in great overall condition! Love that walnut and the bluing is outstanding. Tough to come by for sure. Thanks for sharing a real treasure.

Heres a couple more photos. Shows how they were trying to reduce the weight. No steps in the barrel and is fairly straight.

IMG_2194.JPGIMG_2195.JPG

the HG is already cracked so you are taking a big risk trying to remove it. Put some oil under the clip first or grease so it slides off easier.
Overall a nice looking rifle.. lacquer thinner on a q-tip will dissolve the white paint.. then use gun oil after.

re the handguard:
do you suppose that the rifle has never before been out of the stock? & hg never previously removed?
merely suggesting that scratches may already be present, though none can be seen in your excellent pics. you might try working some .003” brass shim stock under the wings of the clip, then try pulling it off, should prevent scratching.

the HG is already cracked so you are taking a big risk trying to remove it. Put some oil under the clip first or grease so it slides off easier.
Overall a nice looking rifle.. lacquer thinner on a q-tip will dissolve the white paint.. then use gun oil after.
Yes. Someone else tried too hard. I'll try the lacquer thinner on a q-tip.

re the handguard:
do you suppose that the rifle has never before been out of the stock? & hg never previously removed?
merely suggesting that scratches may already be present, though none can be seen in your excellent pics. you might try working some .003” brass shim stock under the wings of the clip, then try pulling it off, should prevent scratching.
I think it was off at one time long ago maybe as there is white in the barrel code area. That brass shim idea may work. That steel clamp on guard is really on there. Not really a very good design, but I guess they didn't make them to last this long.

looking again at the hg pic, maybe try it, but only w/action out of stock & pushing from below. try acetone if lacquer thinner doesnt do it on the white gunk, round hardwood tooth picks to dig out the gunk without leaving marks.
a very small strip of fiberglass cloth & resin applied to the underside of hg ‘might’ stabilize the crack without changing the outer appearance, have seen shotgun fore ends reinforced that way as oem.

looking again at the hg pic, maybe try it, but only w/action out of stock & pushing from below. try acetone if lacquer thinner doesnt do it on the white gunk, round hardwood tooth picks to dig out the gunk without leaving marks.
a very small strip of fiberglass cloth & resin applied to the underside of hg ‘might’ stabilize the crack without changing the outer appearance, have seen shotgun fore ends reinforced that way as oem.
Thanks for your reply. I ran a little wood glue in crack and clamped over night on gun yesterday. Honestly, you really can't hardly tell now. It's just these pictures show everything magnified. The crack is hardly noticeable now. Unfortunate someone did this, but the hand guards are a lot of times cracked, because the wood is very brittle with age.

IMG_2214.JPG

looks nice. try experimenting w/ those minwax pencils for filling nail holes in wood work, you may be able to blend a color that would make that little missing chip disappear…….

It’s not as simple as pushing up the clip, you have to unlock the sight leaf and hold it up while freeing the hand guard then rotate the hand guard around the leaf to get it off. Obviously, don’t forget the screw! Having done it a few times, and considering the crack, I wouldn’t.

It’s not as simple as pushing up the clip, you have to unlock the sight leaf and hold it up while freeing the hand guard then rotate the hand guard around the leaf to get it off. Obviously, don’t forget the screw! Having done it a few times, and considering the crack, I wouldn’t.
Yes. I probably won't take it off. I did take the screw out and lifted sight, but did not get the clip to release barrel. Are the hand guards numbered usually?

Last edited:
And here I thought you only collected sniper rifles you're a big fibber Brian! Still a very nice carbine thank you for sharing.

And here I thought you only collected sniper rifles you're a big fibber Brian! Still a very nice carbine thank you for sharing.
Thanks Jordan. The snipers have sort of run their course. Always looking for upgrades. Otherwise as you know I collect SS Rifles, 1941 made guns (this one is marked DOT 1941), and odd ball types like that G29 or depot made stuff. This will be my only G33 unless a better one comes along. That will be hard to find though I think.

I need a BCD 41 to finish the 1941 year.

Brian, what for pull the handguard and what for remove the white color. You won't make it any better with this, nor will it help conservation. It is a nice rifle, so just keep it that way.

Your handguard will be numbered on the underside. I wouldn’t be concerned as the fit and tone of it are a perfect match to the stock. Beautiful rifle!

Thanks guys for the replies on the rifle. Yes I’m sure it matches. Probably leave the hand guard on. Leave well enough alone.

@Absolut. Yes thanks. I just don’t like that white stuff on my guns. I thought it looked odd. I’m getting pickier about rifles I buy now.

Military Rifle Journal
Back