Third Party Press

Dr. Walter Gerard M4x on LT mount

Absolut

We recently discussed this particular scope - the person who was looking into purchasing it contacted me, after some discussions it was clear he was looking for a shooter rifle, something that should not be paired with the particular scope in question. He was kind enough to tell me if I wanted it I should message the seller instead. What I then did and agreed upon a fair price for an uncommon combination which is not the best condition. It went quite fast until this arrived and I gave it a quick wipe with oil and took these pictures.

The elevation ring is badly damaged, some parts broken off and others bent. All letters are nearly gone as well, you can with a lot of fantasy make out the 7 and the 8 at the very end. I've also had a long discussion with Wolfgang who said these Dr. Walter Gerard Charlottenburg M4x scopes are very rare and he only knows of them in very specific serial ranges, they originally were used on Reichswehr sniper rifles. This would also be the origin of this scope and how it made its way on a LT mount, possibly among Zeiss Zielvier scopes that originate from the Reichswehr sniper rifles as well. I have a M4x on Reichswehr mount with a serial less than 1000 lower, Wolfgang said he only knows them in this very specific range either, so any other observations of M4x scopes and their serials are welcome, to give a rougher estimate on how many of those are out there.

Anyway, what I had possibly enjoyed most was the fact it still comes with the rubber eyecup. Which by the way is extremely stiff, but can be pulled. I wiped it down with oil and took detailed pictures of it since they most often are missing and original ones are never to be found spare, they should be a good reference. The scope originally came with an incorrect nut on the rear locking wing, I replaced it with one I still had around. Does not match the finish, but looks better than a plain nut.

Edit: seems for whatever reason one picture (showing the right side of the scope in full) will not work when attaching it. No idea what the error is, might try again tomorrow. Sorry that it is missing.

Attachments

• M4xLT_01.jpg
    M4xLT_01.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 67
  • M4xLT_02.jpg
    M4xLT_02.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 69
  • M4xLT_04.jpg
    M4xLT_04.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 63
  • M4xLT_05.jpg
    M4xLT_05.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 57
  • M4xLT_06.jpg
    M4xLT_06.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 58
  • M4xLT_07.jpg
    M4xLT_07.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 56
  • M4xLT_08.jpg
    M4xLT_08.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 49
  • M4xLT_09.jpg
    M4xLT_09.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 59
Thats is a very rare LT Scope & Rings , incredible that the rubber eye cup was with scope as mentioned that rarely ever happens .
Congratulations on the addition to a really Rare Scope . Its the only one I have seen in over 20+ yrs of collecting .

Dave, Robert has another Gerard scope in his book in LT rings, but different model. What do you think of that one?

It looks OK to me , I know were theres another one just like the one in Robert`s Book .
Been trying to get it for a long time now !!!!!!

Military Rifle Journal
Back