Third Party Press

Dutch Mannlicher No4 Magdeburg Depot

Rutche

Hello all, in light of recent Dutch Mannlicher posts. I thought I might post the one I recently purchased. It seems to be a Magdeburg rework, and has some stock repairs. It also has a strange GA with an H behind it marking on the top handguard in front of the rear sight, I don't know if anyone knows what that means?
Anyway here are some photos:
Leftside.JPGRight Side.JPGReceiver.JPGBolt Code.JPGFront Band.JPGMagazine.JPG

German Serial 2.pngHzA Magdeburg.JPGCrest+repair (1).jpgUnknown GA Stamp H in Background.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, an Mg10 rework. Hard to say who did the stock repairs, but I'd guess Magdeburg.

Never seen the GHa before. I would guess that it's a replacement part made by someone (G.Ha.) other than Hembrug. There is usually an acceptance in that spot. Maybe someone with the Dutch books could check.

Great to hear Ryan!

Quick Question, is the Serial Number on the Keel applied by the Germans, I was under the assumption that it was, or am I incorrect

Great to hear Ryan!

Quick Question, is the Serial Number on the Keel applied by the Germans, I was under the assumption that it was, or am I incorrect
Yes, its the typical Magdeburg SN font. Generally speaking, the Dutch did not externally number their stocks with the exception of some 1930s reworks which will be numbered on the side under the bolt release.

That's a really nice one, Rutche! I'm glad you were able to find one with both sling swivels and the wooden magazine cover intact.
I have an Mg10 rework almost identical to your's but there is no stamp on the hand guard flat. What are the markings inside the hand guard channel?

The Mannlicher forum at Gunboards is one of the few that still has a number of long time collectors and researchers still contributing. You might want to check there regarding the GHA (GAH?) stamp.

Pat

That's a really nice one, Rutche! I'm glad you were able to find one with both sling swivels and the wooden magazine cover intact.
I have an Mg10 rework almost identical to your's but there is no stamp on the hand guard flat. What are the markings inside the hand guard channel?

The Mannlicher forum at Gunboards is one of the few that still has a number of long time collectors and researchers still contributing. You might want to check there regarding the GHA (GAH?) stamp.

Pat
Thanks Pat, i haven't take her apart yet, but it looks like the handguard isn't retained by a barrel band, does it come straight off with some careful prying?

It is held on with a clip, like a vz24 handguard. Be extremely careful if you remove it, they are fragile and crack easily.

Ryan is correct, so don't feel obligated to remove it. I'd rather you enjoy an intact hand guard!

Pat

I got it off here is the photo. Nothing much just the serial number 6409.
Good thing I took her apart there is some dirt in there
IMG_3761.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job!
I thought that there might be a clue as to what GHA signified in that channel, but it looks like a regular carbine hand guard.

Pat

Nice job!
I thought that there might be a clue as to what GHA signified in that channel, but it looks like a regular carbine hand guard.

Pat
Im gonna try to see what the Gunboard Mannlicher guys think of the Marking, im also leaning towards a subcontractor of handguards, or a manufacturer marking

So very dumb question, how do i remove the bolt im pressing the bolt release, and pulling the bolt, but it doesnt seem to want to come out, is there something im missing?

So very dumb question, how do i remove the bolt im pressing the bolt release, and pulling the bolt, but it doesnt seem to want to come out, is there something im missing?
Push very hard on the rear of the release. A lot of mine have a very tight tolerance on the release and it is a bit of a chore to get the release pushed in far enough to clear the bolt.

Looks like gunboards doesn't know either, guess that's one that goes into the unknown pile. I am leaning to manufacturers mark or something like that.

Its likely the inspector at Magdeburg who approved the work. My Mg10 has an 'A' in the same location. None of my non-depot marked examples (Carbine or rifle) have a letter there, just the Crown/B Hembrug acceptance.
Interesting, Thanks Ryan!

The buttplate on my Carbine has the red paint inside of it similar to K98 buttplates, was this standard with all dutch carbine buttplates?
Or was this German done?

Military Rifle Journal
Back