Third Party Press

Empire Arms K98k Barreled Actions for Sale

krukster86

Anyone else jump on this?

NAZI 98k Mauser barreled actions:​

These are WWII Nazi Mauser standard length actions with barrels attached (and nothing else). They are greasy as can be and are suitable for projects (whether to make sporters or possibly restoration purposes). All original markings are present, no bolts, rear sights or triggers not guaranteed to be present. Barreled actions are NOT C&R ELIGIBLE (must ship to licensed dealer). No photos available, our choice, $250 POSTPAID (lower 48 states)

Seems like a decent deal for the start of a slapped together parts rifle.

I have a ton of misc K98k style parts left over that I wouldn't mind turning into a "shooter". I've been keeping an eye out for barreled receivers from time to time and more often than not, they tend to be at least $200 more.

krukster86

I saw it and will pass. No photos… no description of the lot in general… their pick … no C&R eh not for me.
Fair enough. Agree on the "bummer" about the Not C&R applicable. I only went for it since I have a "get the next transfer free" card from my local FFL01.

krukster86

Just picked it up. Didn’t have time to do a detailed inspection and it is absolutely baptized in cosmoline. I did see that it is a BNZ 41 with intact waffenamts and eagles. It did come with an intact front sight, rear sight, and trigger assembly, which was totally not guaranteed and a big plus! Finish of exposed metal (above wood line areas) appears worn. I did see an import mark near the muzzle.

Muncher 1953

Just picked it up. Didn’t have time to do a detailed inspection and it is absolutely baptized in cosmoline. I did see that it is a BNZ 41 with intact waffenamts and eagles. It did come with an intact front sight, rear sight, and trigger assembly, which was totally not guaranteed and a big plus! Finish of exposed metal (above wood line areas) appears worn. I did see an import mark near the muzzle.
curious to see it !

krukster86

Stomach bug is keeping me up early this morning, might as well give the people what they want!

I still have a lot of de-cosmoline-ing to go, but a couple wipes with a mineral spirits drenched rag did a decent enough job for some photos. I am not really a K98k guy, so forgive my ignorance and correct me if I am mistaken:

As stated earlier, it is a bnz 41 code receiver (Steyr), and has plenty of WaA623 (Steyr) and WaA77 (Radom) waffenamts. It seems that I can't seem to escape firearms with ties to FB Radom! ;)

Receiver.jpgBarrel Waffenamts.jpgreceiver1.jpg

Lots of Lucky Charm proofmarks on the right side of the receiver. Maybe done at FB Radom, since I know the Poles tended to go nuts with these on Polish firearms.

Lucky Charms.jpg

Barrel is coded 198 40RD

Barrel Code.jpg

Import marked CAI Georgia VT for Century Arms

Import.jpg

Receiver, barrel, and sear are all matching.

Trigger.jpgsear1.jpgSear.jpg

The front sight isn't matching, but is WaA77 stamped.

front sight.jpg

The rear sight assembly matches itself, but has Weimar eagles (I think). The rear sight base does have WaA77 Radom waffenamts.

base.jpgladder.jpgslider.jpgRear Sight Mount.jpg

The exposed metal parts are pretty much almost worn down to "the white". Some light cosmetic pitting near the muzzle. I haven't been able to clear the massive glob of cosmoline in the barrel to check the rifling yet.

All in all, I am quite happy with this purchase ($250 shipped and FFL didn't charge me for the transfer) and once I do a detailed cleaning, it will easily drop into a spare stock and triggerguard assembly and be ready to be used as a budget "shooter".

Muncher 1953

thank you, for someone not feeling well, that’s a great photo spread! nice effort!
that it didn’t turn out to be rusty junk brings hope, even if these are all gone.

krukster86

Yeah it’s not a beauty Queen for sure, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse (Russian/Yugo/Romanian capture, rusty RTI-esque junk, etc).

Heated up the barrel gently to soften up the cosmoline for removal. Bore isn’t a mirror (it’s “frosty”) but rifling is strong throughout. Should make for a good shooter at “plinking” distance.

Absolut

I would appreciate if pictures of other rifles would come up. I'm especially interested to find out if the ones which from factory had the serial number only on the barrel got additional serial numbers stamped on the receiver.

krukster86

I would appreciate if pictures of other rifles would come up. I'm especially interested to find out if the ones which from factory had the serial number only on the barrel got additional serial numbers stamped on the receiver.
Surprisingly I haven't seen discussion of these elsewhere (GunBoards, Reddit, etc.). Maybe the other folks that got them decided that they aren't worth sharing information about online, or some jerk just bought most of them in bulk.

Absolut

I have a suspicion where they come from, hence my question. Do you know approximately how many they were? Or did they tell you where they came from? Or are there possibly other barreled actions (non K98k/just military Mauser barreled actions) among them. Please keep your eyes open. Thanks!

krukster86

Absolut,
I have no idea how many there were, Dennis didn't provide that information to me. I do know that in addition to these WWII German produced K98k barreled receivers, Dennis also had Yugo M48 barreled receivers for a slightly lower price (I think it was $200 shipped).

nirvana

I have a suspicion where they come from, hence my question. Do you know approximately how many they were? Or did they tell you where they came from? Or are there possibly other barreled actions (non K98k/just military Mauser barreled actions) among them. Please keep your eyes open. Thanks!

I’m curious about your suspicion. I’ve not seen ones quite like these. They look to be something like the Romanian peened guns, but they aren’t peened, and every one of those I saw had a matching rear sight. Perhaps a Yugo that didn’t hit the full refurb?

Military Rifle Journal