Third Party Press

Empire Arms K98k Barreled Actions for Sale

It looks good. Where did you source the lumber? Is it one of the reproductions available?

You are correct. This is a repro stock and one of the many lessons I learned while building my first. Next round, I'll look at Numrich or similar stores for surplus stocks.
Your best bet is to keep an eye here on the trader, or follow ebay, Gun Broker auctions, etc. for a nice original stock that you can actually see what you're buying. It is very hit or miss with buying from any of the parts dealers as far as what you will get. Also, many sell the Yugoslav refurbished stocks which are often shortened and don't look quite right on an original length barreled action. Your repro stock looks nice and I wouldn't replace it unless a really nice condition original pops up for sale. Happy shooting!

More photos forthcoming (just finished another project and had already parked this in a stock) but curious as to why the front sight base on a bnz. 43 appears not cut for a sight hood. I know there were some differences with bnz sight hoods but as far as I can tell it should have the cuts. Any insight? Is this a non-original front sight base?
Just re-upping my question since it ended up at the bottom of the previous page. Hope that's not bad form.

Your best bet is to keep an eye here on the trader, or follow ebay, Gun Broker auctions, etc. for a nice original stock that you can actually see what you're buying. It is very hit or miss with buying from any of the parts dealers as far as what you will get. Also, many sell the Yugoslav refurbished stocks which are often shortened and don't look quite right on an original length barreled action. Your repro stock looks nice and I wouldn't replace it unless a really nice condition original pops up for sale. Happy shooting!
In fairness to the Yugo stocks, they're still the most economical way to get a laminate stock at half the price of the only laminate repros I know of (PPHU Fox, though everything I've heard is theirs are really exceptional). The Yugos also almost always come with the takedown discs installed, and while doing so yourself isn't rocket surgery, there's the cost of the extra hardware and whether you have the right bench power tools or use a hacksaw and hand tools to fit the crosstube, it's a pain. The Yugo laminate/flat plate stocks I've picked up a few of recently from Sarco and GB are all in very serviceable condition (no cracks, major chips, heavy rust or pitting on hardware) and not cut down. It's interesting that the Yugos refurbed these stocks then apparently set them aside (I've never seen a Yugo K98k rework with a flat buttplate). Of course they would only be "correct" for early war rifles. I agree there are few reasons to pivot from a nice repro stock, if you already have one, to a Yugo. I do hope we haven't seen the last of cheap Yugo stocks... You could still nab the cupped buttplate ones for $50 last year, now they're pushing $200...

Stocky's stock had them available. They are more expensive than others I found in my later research, but I'm happy with it. Here is a link: https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...r-k98-military-walnut-replacement-stocks.html

Minelis stock. I'm a fan. Numrich has had them for sale for $159 for a while now. $100 less than Stocky's https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1369340 Exact same product.

They need some work shape wise. They are thicker and more square in bottom cross section in comparison to the original. They come finished in oil. Nothing a little DA and some careful sanding can't fix. The one below is finished in Extra Dark Shaftol.

1662940324781.jpeg

Also, Prestigious stocks in Canada is offering a laminate stock now.

The first run was a bit weird as it had a second crossbolt that you would see on Yugo or Russian capture rifles. I wrote them about it and they said they will address the issues, but they did it because the sample they were provided has that second bolt.

Minelis stock. I'm a fan. Numrich has had them for sale for $159 for a while now.
That's a pretty good price IMHO.
The first run was a bit weird as it had a second crossbolt that you would see on Yugo or Russian capture rifles. I wrote them about it and they said they will address the issues, but they did it because the sample they were provided has that second bolt.
I saw that too. Glad to know they'll remove that. Wonder if they would delete the takedown disc hole? Looks like a low bolt cutout or is that just my imagination?

That's a pretty good price IMHO.

I saw that too. Glad to know they'll remove that. Wonder if they would delete the takedown disc hole? Looks like a low bolt cutout or is that just my imagination?

I exchanged a few emails with them. They are nice and willing to work with someone to improve the product . The stock they have was made to order, so that’s the template they got to use and they stuck with it . Going forward, they would need a good stock as a template. It would not be damaged , just scanned . After eliminating the second cross bolt , I suggested they make a flat buttplate stock with a small (25mm) takedown disk. It can always be modified for a cupped buttplate and larger takedown disk by the buyer , and gives wider range of applications.

I exchanged a few emails with them. They are nice and willing to work with someone to improve the product . The stock they have was made to order, so that’s the template they got to use and they stuck with it . Going forward, they would need a good stock as a template. It would not be damaged , just scanned . After eliminating the second cross bolt , I suggested they make a flat buttplate stock with a small (25mm) takedown disk. It can always be modified for a cupped buttplate and larger takedown disk by the buyer , and gives wider range of applications.
I’d prefer to see them keep the cupped plate option open, while converting to cupped plate is doable, I’d rather not spend the time on that feature. minelli’s already offers a walnut flat plate stock w/small disc, I’d buy 2 of these others now if I could get them as pictured, less the 2nd cross bolt. Are they only copying the customer’s sample, not making a standard model? None of mine are worthy of copying, sadly.

Does this barrel from Numrich's look like a Lothar Walther to you guys?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221227-154844.png
    Screenshot_20221227-154844.png
    128.8 KB · Views: 13
Does this barrel from Numrich's look like a Lothar Walther to you ?
hard to say from numrich’s pic. tempting since the LW barrel is 2X the price, but I bet the less expensive barrel might cost more in gun smith time. I’ll speculate that the price differential is tied to being manufactured in a lower wage scale country. That being said, numrich sells the minelli ( or very similar) K98k repro walnut flat plate stock set for $160(free shipping) vs others @$225 + shipping. Hard to see the business process the would drive the dumping of genuine LW K98k barrels @ < 1/2 their retail $$$.

K98k barrels should all "look" the same irregardless of manufacture. I have use many Lothar Walther barrels and the difference is in the dimensional accuracy, and accuracy on the range.

SARCO especially, and Numrich too as far as I know, both have a long history of making parts. SARCO is pretty creative in its advertising. Numrich just sells it for what it is.

I recently bought one of Numrich's $160 stocks.... it's a $160 stock. I wouldn't recommend it except for a beater/shooter. Dimensionally almost nothing is correct. Most parts will require a fair amount of fitting. I haven't had time to go over it with a fine toothed comb, but I was curious what $160 bought.

Knowing most of the manufacturing and material costs for many of these barrels, I'm still dumbfounded at how cheap some of these companies are pumping out barrels and other items for. For $150 bucks, you'll have more money in having the barrel fitted and sights installed.

More photos forthcoming (just finished another project and had already parked this in a stock) but curious as to why the front sight base on a bnz. 43 appears not cut for a sight hood. I know there were some differences with bnz sight hoods but as far as I can tell it should have the cuts. Any insight? Is this a non-original front sight base?
I would guess the front sight base was replaced with an earlier style non-hooded type. Probably impossible to say if a wartime field replacement or done by a post war user that had that part on hand.

I recently bought one of Numrich's $160 stocks.... it's a $160 stock. I wouldn't recommend it except for a beater/shooter. Dimensionally almost nothing is correct. Most parts will require a fair amount of fitting. I haven't had time to go over it with a fine toothed comb, but I was curious what $160 bought.

I'm happy with the $160 price.

What specifically did you find so wrong that it could not be corrected?

What I found was:

1. The sling cutout. Too much work to fix the angled cut.
2. The wrist and butt thickness, slightly too thick. Some sanding in the wrist, behind the trigger guard, on the sides to give it a thinner waist like the originals.
3. Square profile underside, forward of the trigger guard and up to about half way under the handguard. Sanding fixed this.

1672270180355.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm happy with the $160 price.

What I found was:

1. The sling cutout. Too much work to fix the angled cut.
2. The wrist and butt thickness, slightly too thick. Some sanding in the wrist, behind the trigger guard, on the sides to give it a thinner waist like the originals.
3. Square profile underside, forward of the trigger guard and up to about half way under the handguard. Sanding fixed this.

View attachment 330673
I for one think it's good looking. If you don't have one at all or a junk one or looking to upgrade why not? It presents well IMHO

It isn't that it cannot be corrected, that wasn't what I said. I said that that almost nothing is dimensionally correct and it would require a fair amount of fitting. In the 5 minutes I spent looking at the stock so far, nothing is close to fitting. Butt plate does not fit, trigger guard does not fit, barreled receiver does not fit, take down discs do not fit, recoil lug does not fit, cleaning rod retainer does not fit.

While I would advocate for items not fitting so that they can be properly fit (remember, factory new stocks required fitting), the stock is sloppy in many areas (ie oversize) but undersize in others. Problem being that many of the area's that I would want the stock undersize are LOOSE and area's that are not as important are tight?

I for one think it's good looking. If you don't have one at all or a junk one or looking to upgrade why not? It presents well IMHO
This is exactly why I bought one. I have a barreled receiver that has an excellent bore laying around. It will never be more than a parts rifle and a shooter. However, given the amount of work it will take to fit the parts, I would have been ahead to buy a less than desirable original stock. I won't have time for a few weeks to fit the parts, but when I do, I will try to document a bit of what I do and either make a quick youtube video or put it up on my website.

I won't have time for a few weeks to fit the parts, but when I do, I will try to document a bit of what I do and either make a quick youtube video or put it up on my website.

Please do. I am always looking to learn something new and may just get another one of these for the fun of the project.

Military Rifle Journal
Back