Third Party Press

ES350B without groves?

huntfish918

Well my collecting path has led me from multiple K98k rifles to multiple trainers and other .22s
I recently bid on and won another .22 Mauser.
Also, I finally obtained Jon Speed's book on smallbores, but cannot find any reference to my particular configuration.
My question is, were ES340Bs available with 350 stocks?
Or, were ES350s available without barrel grooves?
Please see attached photos.
Also, the dealership decal is amazingly intact for being so fragile.
What do y'all think?
Thanks for the input,
Mitch

Attachments

• starboard.jpg
    starboard.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 27
  • port.jpg
    port.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 22
  • serial numbers.jpg
    serial numbers.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 21
  • no grooves.jpg
    no grooves.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 20
  • no 350 stamp.jpg
    no 350 stamp.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 19
  • cartouche.jpg
    cartouche.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 17
  • buttplate.jpg
    buttplate.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 18
  • pistol grip cap.jpg
    pistol grip cap.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 25
  • decal.jpg
    decal.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 26

Fal Grunt

Very nice rifle!

We know that Mauser sold rifles configured in special ways. What exactly was available is hard to say. I have not come across any information about the ordering process and options available.

Personally, I would suspect that if you took the stock off the rifle, you would find that it is either un-serialized, or not matching to the metal work.

We know some Es 340b's were made with grooved barrels, but I somewhat doubt that Mauser would "down grade" an ES 350 with no barrel grooves and a lesser sight. The topic of the Es 340's with grooved barrels is a bit of an enigma, they are further confusing because the rear sight is essentially "fixed" defeating the purpose of the grooves.

eurydice

Mauser probably upgraded some rifle. It was possible to buy these rifles with an upgraded stock. Reffer to pict 271on page 107 (Jon's book) right side, third from bottom : fuer ausgesuchten Schaft von10RM an (for an "on demand" stock...... from 10RM to...)
The topic of "fixed" rear sight on grooved barrel concerns ES340N, MS420N and ES340B.

huntfish918

Thanks guys! Yes, a select stock (but checkering is not mentioned) and I see the line just below that must be for the pistol grip cap...at least that's the best I can figure from Google translate.

eurydice

I invite you to have a look in the book's appendix II.
Checkering translation in German is fishhaut, kolbenknappe means buttplate.

huntfish918

Yes sir, I just got the book last week and have not yet read the whole thing. So much fun figuring out this stuff AND, you get to shoot them!

huntfish918

Very nice rifle!

We know that Mauser sold rifles configured in special ways. What exactly was available is hard to say. I have not come across any information about the ordering process and options available.

Personally, I would suspect that if you took the stock off the rifle, you would find that it is either un-serialized, or not matching to the metal work.

We know some Es 340b's were made with grooved barrels, but I somewhat doubt that Mauser would "down grade" an ES 350 with no barrel grooves and a lesser sight. The topic of the Es 340's with grooved barrels is a bit of an enigma, they are further confusing because the rear sight is essentially "fixed" defeating the purpose of the grooves.
Stock un-serialized...no numbers anywhere.

Military Rifle Journal