Third Party Press

Ethiopian SM

I am working to get some script found on other rifles translated to see if there are any trends that begin to emerge. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be alot of rifles maked this way, just onsies and twosies here and there. I'll report back once I am able to make some sense of what I can find.

Last edited:
No MRJ article directly on either subject, but i noted a few issues to pull for potential tidbits. Still have to dig through old newsletters, but low risk of finding something one Ethiopia or the SM in particular, - Jon Speed is probably the best chance but he's a lot going on...
Several years ago John Wall gave me a SN list of his SMs, I combined it with mine and added examples from GB or other sources if they contained enough detail. The list is on my computer at home, when I get back there Tuesday I will see if any known Chinese rifles fall in the range we have for Ethiopian examples. John had some pretty early ones in the B series.

I wish I knew when my rifle came to the US, it is import marked, but I bought it from a shop that had it on consignment, so I didn’t get any backstory. Whoever had it didn’t disassemble it, as the barrel channel was full of sand when I took it apart.

I am working to get some script found on other rifles translated to see if there are any trends that being to emerge. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be alot of rifles maked this way, just onsies and twosies here and there. I'll report back once I am able to make some sense of what I can find.
That will be great information. Both the translations and the various types of rifles that are marked.

Jon Speed emailed and said he would review the financial records for this subject, he said he had them all, so this may give a better understanding to when, where and how they were paid for or delivered. When they were paid for, delivered, where and when they arrived may offer some interesting clues. I wonder who the middleman was, what was his "agenda" and how they were paid for, though I am sure little will be revealed by financial documents, but the source of funding and who financed the purchase sure would be interesting... I wonder what role if any the English played, they sure screwed the pooch in hindsight, though Mussolini was overrated in his ability to manage Hitler and Germany, but it did help open the door to Austria earlier than what would have occurred anyway (not even to mention the Czechs, but the Czechs deserved everything they got... or rather the "masterminds" behind the Czechoslovakia scheme)

I should have mentioned this will be a week or two as he is away... but at least he is willing to help in this interesting subject!

Thanks so much to you and your significant other, the translation is very much appreciated.

Loewe, I am away from my records right now, but I have a pretty early B series that went to China, I will check to see if it falls in this range.
Ok, this is what I found checking my early SMs.

sidewall, Standard Modell-1924, 1933 receiver date, sn 27865. No B prefix. This rifle came in with the early 90’s imports from China.

sidewall, Standard Modell, no receiver date, sn B35771

I also have two of the early blank sidewall SMs, sn 14657 and 16393. When Mauser changed to the SM-1924 sidewall, I wonder if the sn just continued from the blank sidewall versions.

I checked the import mark on my Ethiopian and it is IO. So this mY very well be one of the recent imports.

Frank, I pulled my SM observations on Ethiopia, very few in the file, some real dogs, none with similar script, not sure if is a more formal language or just some corruption of some slogan,... but it unique so far as I have recorded. Below are the rifles, sort of a range they fall in, there may be more mixed in with other variations or the "standard" Standard Modell's that make the largest group, but these early serials are not common there:

1934 B21696
1934 B22699
1934 B23578
1934 B24522
1934 B24606
1934 B26861
1934 B27773
1934 B29287
You can add one more;

1934 B21663
Chinese text on the trigger guard and Lion of Judah stamp on top of barrel.
This is from the SM data that John Wall and I were compiling for an article on SMs that John was going to publish,
unfortunately he was not able to finish it.

John also listed a rifle in the “A” series #A2440, that has:
Ethiopian crest on receiver ring
Mauser Banner on receiver bridge
Ethiopian crest on left side of buttstock
Lion of Judah on many small parts
Side rail: MOD. 1933

This may be the order that I referenced earlier from “Mauser Archives”.

Last edited:
Frank, I will add all your information to my research, - thanks!

Jon Speed did give some interesting details already, the rifles were purchased through a intermediary in Switzerland, and WMo wasn't the only one considered. Anyway, some interesting thoughts by Jon, but we will have to wait for awhile until he can help further!

** for JS, meant to reply but internet was pretty spotty to reply, but I did read the emails sent! Thanks for the thoughts on this subject (and the help)

Frank, I will add all your information to my research, - thanks!

Jon Speed did give some interesting details already, the rifles were purchased through a intermediary in Switzerland, and WMo wasn't the only one considered. Anyway, some interesting thoughts by Jon, but we will have to wait for awhile until he can help further!

** for JS, meant to reply but internet was pretty spotty to reply, but I did read the emails sent! Thanks for the thoughts on this subject (and the help)

The two attached pictures are from Robert Balls “MMOTW” vol. 4.

The rifle is incorrectly (in my option) identified as the mod. 1933, which is actually the SW marking of the earlier “A” series SM rifles sold to Ethiopia, these rifles had the Ethiopian Crest on top of the receiver instead of the Mauser Banner.

I found his translation of the receiver inscription interesting.
1742617D-D19E-407D-AB56-A9F1CB25EED0.jpeg85C82AEA-D990-4C06-89DE-560C9F97C496.jpeg85C82AEA-D990-4C06-89DE-560C9F97C496.jpeg85C82AEA-D990-4C06-89DE-560C9F97C496.jpeg

Last edited:
The two attached pictures are from Robert Balls “MMOTW” vol. 4.

The rifle is incorrectly (in my option) identified as the mod. 1933, which is actually the SW marking of the earlier “A” series SM rifles sold to Ethiopia, these rifles had the Ethiopian Crest on top of the receiver instead of the Mauser Banner.

I found his translation of the receiver inscription interesting.
View attachment 277052View attachment 277053View attachment 277053View attachment 277053
It's interesting for sure and makes one wonder as to their significance. I am still waiting to hear back from my translator. It will take some time I am sure. I was able to scrounge about 20 or so misc. examples. Once I have those translations in hand, I'll be sure to post them here as well as my observations.

Here are the 4 Ethiopian financial records from Mauser yearly Reports on Ethiopia dealing. Please add this to site talks.

1. 1934 Offer book shows Swiss Oerlikon metal parts firm orders 10,000 SM for Ethiopia

2. 1934 Ethiopian Purchase office orders 1000 C96 in 7.63- It is not known if such deal was completed an No Mauser records to show this happend!

3. 1934 Yearly report shows 79,027,61 RM spent by Ethiopia on SM deal

4. 1935 Yearly report shows 67,878,31 RM spent by Ethiopia on SM deal

5. 1936 shows 26,704,89 RM by Ethiopia on SM deal

The Mauser firm Metal works Kreutzlingen= Swiss assembly plant to go around Treaty regulations etc. Depending on unit sales price from 55-65 RM then at least 3000 SM were actually sold to Ethiopia who also could have obtained arms from CZ , FN ?? Etc. There were NO more sales to Ethiopia !

Regards, JonP1140881 C&E.JPG
P1140883 C&E.JPG
P1140889 C&E.JPG
P1140892 C&E.JPG
P1140894 C&E.JPG

Thanks Jon (& FG) for these "facts", which is always good to start a story with... I will establish a research thread on the subject soon, primarily dealing with rifle reports and the assorted details Jon provided and from some articles of the time period... There is a really good article from the period, 1934-36 that discusses the Ethiopian affair with pretty good pictures of the King and Queen with a few pictures of his entourage, most not really impressive (which is usually the case with entourages...)

Anyway, this will provide a foundation to base a research thread around, but everyone do keep an eye out for rifles to form a database, mostly to establish ranges.

** Jon, any thoughts on shipping arrangements, time frames of delivery or intermediaries? I assume these had to be delivered with some intermediary or possibly a friendly power hostile to Italian ambitions (which were numerous...)

Fascinating stuff. If I am understanding correctly, the total for the “A” series with Ethiopian crest and the “B” series rifles sold to Ethiopia was only 3000 units?

I agree, fascinating, soon I will assemble the material to start a research thread, but here are a few pictures I will use, - the typical facade of "Royalty", but courageous enough, though hardly of the caliber of Charlemagne(the epitome of nobility..), Cyrus the Great or Alexander the Great and their great armies... I am sure the soldiers were more formidable than they look... (by accounts they were as savage as the Medes or Timur warriors...)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 23
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
By the available records, looks like FN was the largest supplier of rifles to Ethiopia with some 25,000 supplied between 1933-1935 (Ball 4th ed.).
Mauser was picking up 2nds in the orders for carbines. Still, you would figure that the FN examples would be more prevalent.
Even so, you have less than 30,000 rifles between two suppliers to an African continent country where surviving examples are scarce.

here is photo to add to the Ethiopian story . I also found Lockhoven negatives showing a 1933 SM with Ethiopian Crest on ring and small Mauser banner on rear bridge SN A 2971 that fits in with the 3XXX totals from Mauser etc. JonP1140924 (2).JPG

here is pic from 1911 the German kings Gift sporter to king of Ethiopia made up by Foerster firm in 9.3. Please add this to Talks on site. JonP1140928 (2).JPG

I have finally gotten the translations back and have done my best to compile them in a somewhat useful way. In the coming weeks, I am going to try to make some more sense of this, but would be glad to hear your thoughts on the matter.

MakeModelYearSerialScript TranslationLion of Judah?Notes
MauserStandard Modell1934B27773"10 thousand Haile Selassie I, Emperor of Ethiopia"Yes. Barrel behind rear sight.
LoeweGew 8818912159U"Geberu Menelik"
ErfurtKar 8818933000G"Throne of Menelik 70"
LoeweGew 8818903445E"Throne Menelik 70"
DanzigGew 8818943837U"Menelik"Shortened
MASLebel1894FH99342"379 -Menelik Deneke"Shortened
MACLebel1890AD53250"Menelik"Shortened
ErfurtGew 8818968240A"Throne of Menelik 70"
ErfurtKar 98/ Gew 98 1915unknown"Police"Yes. Barrel behind rear sight.K98 receiver. Beligan proofs. Big cartouche on stock.
Berdan 2188022011"Menelik Yemaru"
InlandM1 Carbine 1942 barrel 131XXX"Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front"Painted on stock.
TulleGras187667858"Etege Taitu"
Gras Carbine188148689"307-Sahile Moriam-Menelik"Receiver and barrel markings.
Berdan 21881118974"Ras Wube"
GrasUnknownUnknown"Tedela Taitu"
Berdan 21882Unknown"Ras Haile"
Berdan 218873652"Dejach Gebre Egzihaber

Military Rifle Journal
Back