Third Party Press

Finally got my Kar98b Simson!

Gerst

Cheers. My Grandfather was Cav and had some friends keep him around and employed. Ended up at Paderborn prior to the action.

My father started in a machinegun company (1925) and served in the infantry until he went to “school” and was transferred to the administrative branch as a paymaster/finance officer in an army corps. He was an avid horseman. We visited my American uncle at Fort Meade, Maryland in 1955 and went to the stables. My uncle (an American LTC) invited my father to mount a horse and ride. Father rode the horse around the paddock, then jumped him over the fence! It was great. He hadn’t been on a horse for 20 years!

Officers and senior NCOs in the Reichswehr were all horsemen.

BTW - I also just bought a 98b and will take delivery in two days!

heavy_mech

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual
..invited my father to mount a horse and ride. Father rode the horse around the paddock, then jumped him over the fence! It was great. He hadn’t been on a horse for 20 years!

Officers and senior NCOs in the Reichswehr were all horsemen.

I can both see this and agree. By transfer my mother (his daughter) was great with horses. Similar story of a trip in my early youth. Stable guys saying some shit... Mom jumps on the horse and is off. Preteen me watching those dudes with their mouths wide open.

feldmütze

Jordan, congrats on picking up the Kar98b! Now to just outfit it with a reasonably priced lid & sling...

Warrior1354

ax - hole
Jordan, congrats on picking up the Kar98b! Now to just outfit it with a reasonably priced lid & sling...

Thank you Mike I think I could find a muzzle lid but you bring up a sling! I have only seen one for sale in person before and I should have bought the darn thing. My buddy John had it on his table a couple years ago but I already bought way too much at the show. I was going to try to work a deal out on that sling after last year's SOS show but sadly my friend passed away. I still treasure the items I have bought from him over the years though always will.

I do remember the sling had those big Simson Eagles on it and it was dated I believe 1930 or 1929. But I'm not a hundred percent sure we actually talked about it at the SOS show he was going to send me pictures of it.

I still need to find a bayonet for this rifle and maybe a sea battalion bayonet for my other stuff I do know a friend of mine in Tennessee that might have one of those lol!

Warrior1354

ax - hole
Thanks to Dave Roberts for finding another cool Kar98b period picture. Finally original pictures with Kar98b carbines seem to be very tough.

Attachments

• Soldiers with Kar98b rifles.jpg
    Soldiers with Kar98b rifles.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 37

flynaked

Neat picture, here is one from a period book.

Attachments

• D3C51594-8DBD-4296-A631-6BCDE6980F79.jpg
    D3C51594-8DBD-4296-A631-6BCDE6980F79.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 35

Military Rifle Journal