Third Party Press

G43 AC45 matching mount sold for $6.5k on GB

Font, style, everything about the number. Look at some real Walther mounts. I remember when he bought it, we discussed it here I think.

The mount, bands and scope appear to be all original.

Somebody did try to duplicate the original style/font of original numbers.

The obvious parts were the "6" and the "9". Look at known original numbered 359 mounts, they were all done from the same pattern pantograph. Therefore, the numbers will all be essentially the same style. Yes, you will find slight variations how the engraving went, humans are not perfect. They were were done by hand, so, some will be a little sloppier than others.

Font, style, everything about the number. Look at some real Walther mounts. I remember when he bought it, we discussed it here I think.
I think you are correct. I recall a topic of a fairly decent job of ruining a Late war un numbered mount. This rifle is a very nice and can bring 4k on their own. So add another 2500.00 for a ruined mount.
Overall the price isn't that bad IMHO but, if more folks thought it was real its should have broke 10k easy. The qve45 he had was a complete matching rig. lightly sanded stock with the zf4 k43 markings. It brought 8500.00 there abouts. I could see where this mount could fool some. They took the time to engrave the slanted font copying the Walther style. Like most frauds they used the wrong tool bit and didn't get the font 100% correct. Luckily !! Old Vickers was fooled obviously..

The mount and scope are the last extreme late type. Probably taken from the factory. DDX serial numbers run sequential through production and this is near the end. Late type features on the mount all phosphate hardware. The qve45 had the correct black type finish with late type Dow scope..

I’ll just post it here for future reference when GB link is no longer available. 7C655F3C-7B16-4416-8CC7-FF5F938540D4.jpeg1A4360AB-9CA3-4A66-9243-A4BFBAD24CD5.jpegCB3E8318-A18F-49DC-BCD1-3361E9A76A60.jpegA82564F2-C87E-4637-8EAC-968D59E3176C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The mount, bands and scope appear to be all original.

Somebody did try to duplicate the original style/font of original numbers.

The obvious parts were the "6" and the "9". Look at known original numbered 359 mounts, they were all done from the same pattern pantograph. Therefore, the numbers will all be essentially the same style. Yes, you will find slight variations how the engraving went, humans are not perfect. They were were done by hand, so, some will be a little sloppier than others.
Is this numbering original for reference purposes?FA46CB9E-09AE-4BEF-86DC-31E51F196EC1.jpeg

Very early square edge mount has the scope # and the rifle # on the mount. The earliest of all mounts were stamped. This was very short lived.

Very early square edge mount has the scope # and the rifle # on the mount. The earliest of all mounts were stamped. This was very short lived.
Yeah, I am aware. I actually thought that all phosphated mounts didn’t have the rifle serial on the left. Still a lot to learn.

lots of good info here and weaver's book is a must also. As with anything nothing beats studying known good originals.

Another give away is that the font "channels/grooves" are to "fresh" they look like they were just cut and have no oxidation. Fakers are getting better and better, but they always tend to mess something up. The experts here can spot them from a miles away. This site, its members, and the picture reference is a great resource not to get screwed over.

If the rifle was unmolested, not sanded, has the correct stock and is matching it would be valued at $4,000 to $4,500 in the current market. As Mauser99 stated, unnumbered mounts were taken from the factory and are highly desirable by the collecting community. IMHO, the rifle would be more valuable if they left it un-numbered. Greed led to them faking the serial, ruining a really nice late war mount. The mount is the correct version for the rifle's serial number range.

Ironically, (i cant remember who had it) but the member had the correct mount for my C block AC45 that was serialized, 2 numbers higher than my serial. I was like OMG, only if! So close. Amazing to think 75 years ago that this rifle was basically next to my rifle on the rack at the factory and they both eventually ended up in the US.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back