Third Party Press

G43 bcd b block up for review

mauser99

rifle looks 100% the stock has been stripped and maybe lightly steel wooled ?? Visible duffle cut.. Wont comment on the price but the rifle is what it is.

At one point I knew where there was a 100% undicked with rifle that could have been bought for 4k ...

Bigdibbs88

"Ach du lieber!"
rifle looks 100% the stock has been stripped and maybe lightly steel wooled ?? Visible duffle cut.. Wont comment on the price but the rifle is what it is.

At one point I knew where there was a 100% undicked with rifle that could have been bought for 4k ...

Agree as well. There was an untouched bcd here a few months ago I almost bit on a few times.

Imo this rifle in the link is not very desirable due to the stock issues

jack944

Rare

As above..it is a tough rifle to find..Stock has been hit, but nothing too horrible. :thumbsup: pi

Last edited:

mauser99

we all have certainly all seen worse. It possibly could be helped a little as well. As long as the buyer is happy that's all that matters.

Speedratchet

Thankyou all everyone for your input. I haven’t received it at my ffl yet, but I am looking forward to holding history in my hands.I assume the vet that brought it back had the dufflecut fixed and lightly sanded it to match , which does effect its original finish.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Speedratchet

Update / rifle arrived at my ffl , I went to inspect it and I found a few issues , the front band looks like a newly made reproduction, the handguard is warped to the right side of the stock. What I mean is feeling the transition between the stock and handguard it favors the right side significantly. Like mentioned already the stock was quite sanded and lastly the bolt face was corroded from corrosive primers , a pitted ring around the firing pin hole, I k ow the Germans used corrosive ammo but it wasn’t shown or mentioned in his listing. I emailed the selling asking to return it and I will await his response.

jack944

Update / rifle arrived at my ffl , I went to inspect it and I found a few issues , the front band looks like a newly made reproduction, the handguard is warped to the right side of the stock. What I mean is feeling the transition between the stock and handguard it favors the right side significantly. Like mentioned already the stock was quite sanded and lastly the bolt face was corroded from corrosive primers , a pitted ring around the firing pin hole, I k ow the Germans used corrosive ammo but it wasn’t shown or mentioned in his listing. I emailed the selling asking to return it and I will await his response.

What makes you think band is a repro..?

Last edited:

Tiger 2 Tank

The front band looks original wartime to me as well. The Gustloff rifles had blued bands and not phosphate. Is that what your concern was?

Speedratchet

Yes that was my concern tiger, I just received my copy of Hitlers garands today and haven’t had time to look through it. Thanks

Speedratchet

Also due to firing corrosive ammo there is a ring of pittng around the firing pin hole, I have encountered that before on soviet firearms but is that an issue on a g43 if I were to fire it? I have a shooters kit ready to install on it.

Another thing the charging handle easily unscrews is that normal?
Lastly while cycling the action it felt kind of clunky and odd , is that normal?

This is my first g43 and I’m not sure if it’s because I’m not familiar with the platform.
Only thing close that I have would be my svt40.

Tiger 2 Tank

Also due to firing corrosive ammo there is a ring of pittng around the firing pin hole, I have encountered that before on soviet firearms but is that an issue on a g43 if I were to fire it? I have a shooters kit ready to install on it.

Lastly while cycling the action it felt kind of clunky and odd , is that normal?

This is my first g43 and I’m not sure if it’s because I’m not familiar with the platform.

I can answer questions 2 and 3:

Can’t answer your first question as I have never fired one of these rifles. I only collect them. I would think it would be okay to shoot like that without any problems. Our shooter experts will have to advise on that.

Charging handle: Shouldn’t be easy to unscrew. Take the bolt carrier off, flip it over and get us a photo to see what’s going on.

Clunky action movement: Yes, that’s normal. It should feel about midway that the action is catching or tight and then it should give and easily run forward...or backward-which ever way your going with it.

daltrey99

Its best to not use corrosive ammo in these. Obviously you can use it but keep in mind that you will have more maintenance if you do. You need to thoroughly clean everything to prevent corrosion. I wont shoot surplus in mine. I reload for it or use Prvi Partisan ammo.

The charging handle should not unscrew. Once it was installed it should have been peened over on the underside to prevent movement. If it moves, it was either replaced and never peened or it somehow has loosened.

The action "binds" midway and is normal. Some do it more than others. I believe it is the bottom of the bolt that resets the hammer when it travels over the hammer. I have seen locking lugs also that drag a little against the action cover when returning to the chamber.

Speedratchet

Here is the underside of the charging handle knob, I disassembled the bolt the outside of the locking lugs are somewhat worn, I guess that is to be expected considering what this rifle could of went thru in the war. The bore is nice and shiny , just the bolt face corrosion . Makes me think that the rifles owner in ww2 must of cleaned the bore and ran the action longer without a cleaning, causing the issue. Let me know if any further pictures that would be good to see. Thanks

Jeff

Also me and the seller came to an agreement and he gave me some money back, and I get to keep the rifle. It is now in the safe with some friends , 98k’s , Luger and my p38.

Attachments

• C158C426-E1E2-4659-88D8-E2F8393580D2.jpg
    C158C426-E1E2-4659-88D8-E2F8393580D2.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

daltrey99

Here is the underside of the charging handle knob, I disassembled the bolt the outside of the locking lugs are somewhat worn, I guess that is to be expected considering what this rifle could of went thru in the war. The bore is nice and shiny , just the bolt face corrosion . Makes me think that the rifles owner in ww2 must of cleaned the bore and ran the action longer without a cleaning, causing the issue. Let me know if any further pictures that would be good to see. Thanks

Jeff

Also me and the seller came to an agreement and he gave me some money back, and I get to keep the rifle. It is now in the safe with some friends , 98k’s , Luger and my p38.

It looks like that is an original handle that came from another bolt carrier. Most that I have ever seen have just one peen over and yours has two. You may have to peen it a little more to keep it in place.

KSH67

the handguard is warped to the right side of the stock. What I mean is feeling the transition between the stock and handguard it favors the right side significantly.

I wonder if this is not the handguard but a poor duffle cut repair instead? I agree also, the band looks original.

Speedratchet

On the handguard upon removal shown an old crack repair the crack didn’t run the full length of the handguard but at least halfway up and repaired . I can only assume that is the reason for the warped feel to it. It’s not like a twisted warp , it is like the handguard favors the right side of the stock.

Military Rifle Journal