Third Party Press

Grandfather's awards

byf41

My grandfather was a WWI Vet. and was called up for part of WWII, Because of his age he didn't stay for the entire war.
He had a business and lost it because he didn't join the Nazi party. He had a large family to take care of and ended up working at Kugelfischer. Kugelfischer was the largest Ball bearing factory in Schweinfurt. He was at work on February 24, 1944,
when it was bombed.

Attachments

• IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0384.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0386.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 147
Yes, they pretty much missed the factory, very little damage to the building. Just his luck his locker was damaged. He worked with acid and wore wooden shoes at work.
Some one took his good shoes, that was a big deal because they were hard to get and expensive during the war.

Last edited:
Nice family grouping.
It is one of the more interesting Arbeitsbucher I have seen, he was a prime target for the USAAF.
Thanks for posting it.

With which unit did he serve in WW1?

Thanks Peter, I don't have a lot of info on him. I didn't know he was in ww2 until my aunt sent my father his Wehrpas. I know more about my fathers service. Here are some better pics.

Attachments

• ww0.jpg
    ww0.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 94
  • ww.jpg
    ww.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 100
  • ww1.jpg
    ww1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 103
Thank you for that info. I don't think he told my father much about it. All my father told me was he was in some awful fights and spent a winter in the trenches.

Spent some time with my father this week, he told me my Grandfather hated working at Kugelfischer but the job saved his life. Near the end of the war he was given a date to report to the Volkssturm.
He told his foreman at Kugelfischer and he said he wanted to talk to him at the end of the day. He told him he needed him ( every thing that moved needed ball bearings) and he took care of things for him to stay.

Military Rifle Journal
Back