Third Party Press

High Turret Questions

WreckTangle

I have limited experience and knowledge about k98 snipers. But, I believe from my research on the forum, that my uncle's neighbor's k98 is a byf44 high turret. Unfortunetly, from what I've been told it's missing the scope. What type of scope would be correct for a HT rifle of this period?

Sorry, I know the pictures are crappy, these are all I have at the moment.

Attachments

• k98 High Turret_02.jpg
    k98 High Turret_02.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 127
  • k98 High Turret_03.jpg
    k98 High Turret_03.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 98
  • k98 High Turret_04.jpg
    k98 High Turret_04.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 94
  • k98 High Turret_05.jpg
    k98 High Turret_05.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 92
  • k98 High Turret_06.jpg
    k98 High Turret_06.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 81
  • k98 High Turret_07.jpg
    k98 High Turret_07.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Hercules

HT

It looks real from a distance. Those pics don’t show many details. Scope would be a High Turret CAD, BMJ, Ajack, and very rarely a BEK. It looks like a Mauser Turret and not Sauer. Detailed pics would be nice of course.

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
Current thread

Appears to be a late 'k' block byf44 with the added SN on the barrel.

B.

mdarnell19

Beavis Moderator Intern
Staff member
Appears to be a late 'k' block byf44 with the added SN on the barrel.

B.
This. Need to see more and better pictures to really determine what it is. But the serial number on the barrel and receiver is a good sign. Please post more.

WreckTangle

Sorry, had to run off to FL to hurricane proof parents house, but will try and make some calls today or tomorrow. What features or parts of the gun should I try to get pictures of?--I know these usually have some additional markings but not sure where.

I was able to get some more info: (in order of appearance--left to right) typical eagle over swastika, WaA 135 followed by the S/N 53xxx K.

Thanks for the help guys.

mdarnell19

Beavis Moderator Intern
Staff member
Get pictures of all the numbered parts, particularly of the receiver and barrel markings, the butt plate and stock channel. That would be a good start.

Blackpowderresearcher

I'd check with Richard Law's book. I know that the Germans never standardized scopes and used about four major brands of commercial scopes. Late war they didn't even blue the things (as well as the rings) and left them in the white. Good giveaway for the sniper.

mdarnell19

Beavis Moderator Intern
Staff member
I'd check with Richard Law's book. I know that the Germans never standardized scopes and used about four major brands of commercial scopes. Late war they didn't even blue the things (as well as the rings) and left them in the white. Good giveaway for the sniper.

No, they never left the factory matched to a rifle with no finish applied to the scope and rings. Another one of Law's errors.

Military Rifle Journal