Third Party Press

Hitler’s watch fetches 1.1million

Hello!

This very watch has been discussed somewhere else, not gonna lie that pigeon eagle looks awful. But you know, there's always going to be a buyer that buys the story.

That's far fetched for something going over a million dollars right? It's the same kind of bs story with Emalia DEF Schindler canteens, no evidence whatsoever, same goes with so many other items where people say there's been a find but never bring any proof to the table.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220731_085726.jpg
    Screenshot_20220731_085726.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 40
This same auction company sold what was advertised as Hitler's red telephone and Hitler's toilet seat several years ago. The wealthy individuals who purchase such items would be well served to invest in an education instead of these nonsense pieces. The level of stupidity in modern society is staggering.

Barely fetched half the low end of their estimate. That's usually a sign the market is not as impressed as the seller. Still a helluva lot of money.

The close up Luftpirate provided kind of speaks volumes if you look closely into it, it seems that the numbers are on top of scratches... Lol, the new owner better not zoom in! Yikes.

Kind of like the S84/98 III some ebay seller was trying to sell a few years back. Said it was Hitler`s bayonet because it had the initials A. H. carved into the wooden grip. Seller had some pic of Hitler setting in his office at his desk and claimed the bayonet was in the pic. I could not see it. If I remember correctly some moron bought it.

I read closely the description and the brochure, as I thought I was too quick to dismiss the watch.
It says :
"This engraving is of exceptionally high quality, and its style points to its creation by an artisan subcontracted by Huber and already adept at N.S.D.A.P.-related engravings."
and this :
"The use of the first N.S.D.A.P. Reichsadler dates the watch to no later than 1934, when the "second pattern" political Reichsadler came into common use. It is doubtful that the use of this eagle for any purpose beyond official Nazi Party business would have been authorized at that time. It is therefore very likely that this watch was offered to Adolf Hitler by the hierarchy of the Nazi party or the S.A. following the 1933 elections or during the Bavarian citizenship ceremonies of April 20, 1933. "

On page 15 of the brochure, they show an "early" adler on the header of a letter signed by Bormann that looks very similar to the one engraved.

In the brochure, Jaeger LeCoultre says that it is a Reverso watch and apparently the jeweler Andreas Huber has customised it.

The question of "provenance" as PeterU said remains open (French people can also produce elaborate fakes) and the identity of the wearer(s) will almost certainly never be known.

Attachments

• AH1.jpg
    AH1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 28
  • AH2.jpg
    AH2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
The watch itself looks very tired, so it was worn a lot, the side with the engraving not.

If this watch was properly researched, we would know exactly when it was made, who was the sub-contractor of Huber, who bought the watch initially, what was paid for, if it was returned for a service,...etc.
Who was the soldier that took this watch as a war souvenir?
What did he do with the watch? Who saw it besides him?
Where has it been since 1945? What is the chain of custody?
One of these simple questions is answered, the movement was made in December 1932, serial number reference research done by watch collectors in less then five minutes.
The provenance is a letter of the soldiers daughter: it is daddy's watch, he said that he found it in Berchtesgarden.
Who in his right mind buys a $1.1.000.000 + fees antique with such light paperwork attached to it?

Has the engraving on the watch been tested, microscopic research to see if it isn't simply laser cut?

Last edited:
Like I said in my previous post, the watch it self look very worn.
Who did wear it?
Hitler himself on a daily base? I doubt it, because then there would be photographic evidence.
Usually these presentation pieces to head of states just end up in an archive/depot.
Did that French soldier wear it for years?
If that is it, there will be plenty of people that saw it, there must be a picture from lets say the 1960's on which it can be seen being worn.
What did this soldier do after the war, was he the type of guy that wore a gold watch on a daily base?
The wear has to be explained.

The watch itself looks very tired, so it was worn a lot, the side with the engraving not.

If this watch was properly researched, we would know exactly when it was made, who was the sub-contractor of Huber, who bought the watch initially, what was paid for, if it was returned for a service,...etc.
Who was the soldier took this watch as a war souvenir?
What did he do with the watch? Who saw it besides him?
Where has it been since 1945? What is the chain of custody?
One of these simple questions is answered, the movement was made in December 1932, serial number reference research done by watch collectors in less then five minutes.
The provenance is a letter of the soldiers daughter: it is daddy's watch, he said that he found it in Berchtesgarden.
Who in his right mind buys a $1.1.000.000 + fees antique with such light paperwork attached to it?

Has the engraving on the watch been tested, microscopic research to see if it isn't simply laser cut?

I agree with all of the above, and furthermore they insist on making assumptions and "what ifs". They say themselves they can't prove it was worn by the moustache man, what more do we need between the non homogenous patina and the absolute lack of any evidence.

Military Rifle Journal
Back