Third Party Press

ID: Well loved Waffenfabrik Oberndorf Mauser 8x57 - 732778.ON

Inherited from my Swedish grandfather, well loved with an R.Fuess scope. Where can I find more information about the rifle and scope?

IMG_0366.jpgIMG_0358.jpgIMG_0359.jpgIMG_0363.jpgIMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

Lol

It’s a 1913 Oberndorf Type B in 8x57 with a (N)ormalisiert chamber. The scope was added later and the bolt and safety have been modified for this addition. Neat to have from your grandfather for sure!

73277 is the Serial number which falls within the 1913/1914 time frame per the list in Speed's book on Mauser sporting rifles. Likely a Model B but need pictures of the full rifle profile to assess more accurately. I believe that the 8,0N marking is a caliber designation indicating 8mm Nitro. Need to be confirmed if this is likely 8x57 chambering. Proofing is standard commercial BU marks used prior to about 1922.

I see evidence of corrosion pitting and the finish color and uniformity makes me think it has been professionally re-blued. From what I can see of the wood I think it has been refinished as well.

It would be helpful to see pictures of the butt plate, stock channel serial number and any markings on the barrel shank under the stock.

I am not familiar with that scope brand but seems consistent with and contemporary to the rifle.

A Normalisiert chamber as I mentioned was something Oberndorf started doing after the adoption of the 8x57IS cartridge. The bore diameter will still be that of the earlier 8x57I cartridge but an “N” chamber has had the throat opened up dimensionally to accept the slightly larger neck of a 8x57IS cartridge and the .323 stuffed in it, which dramatically reduces any pressure issues. This was before cartridge standardization, so by the end of the 1930’s and with with adoption of the new proof laws, chambers are no longer marked as such from Oberndorf.

Thank you @flynaked et all!
Can I find a cartridge manufacturer that sell the 8x57IS cartridge or do I stick with commercial off the shelf 5x87 ammunition for hunting and target practise?
I have not yet evolved to reloading myself. :cautious:

Thank you @flynaked et all!
Can I find a cartridge manufacturer that sell the 8x57IS cartridge or do I stick with commercial off the shelf 5x87 ammunition for hunting and target practise?
I have not yet evolved to reloading myself. :cautious:
I can’t answer your question directly, but I saw someone last month with 2 boxes of Sellier & Bellot 8mm ammo marked 8x57IS at a shoot. It was new fresh stock by its appearance, though pretty expensive ($36/box of 20).

Military Rifle Journal
Back