Third Party Press

K43 AC 45 - C Block - Matching - W/Scope

PatickD

Hi guys,

Figured I would share my K43 AC 45, in the C block. Since I just got a scope/mount from Joseph Burke. On this forum. It’s the correct late war mount. The scope is early for my rifle. Couldn’t pass up the original late war base. As we all know, the bases are the scarce item.

Rifle is matching/correct. In terms to accounting the large variations of late war Walthers. Probably picked straight out of the factory.

AC 45 C block:

•Final proof marks complete
•All Matching
•Phosphate/blued
•Dual lug
•Updated Gas system
•Spare firing pin/oiler/manual
•Late war phosphate (buckle) sling
•Crisp un-sanded stock
•Bolt take down (disassembly)

Going through 100x references. I’ve seen many guns with darker stocks like mine (un-sanded). Then plenty, with extremely light blonde stocks. Was there sporadic light finishing of stocks? Or, just darker wood laminate? Years of dirt/oil, of course not from WWII? Maybe light varnish? Always puzzled me. Since I could never find a clear cut answer.

Nonetheless, enjoy the pictures. Welcome any feedback on the stock finishes.

P.S. Joseph Burke was wicked good to deal with. 100% recommend!

-Danny

Last edited:
She’s a gorgeous one! I had this one in my listings as of 2016 from pre98. Still has the gcb mag with it. Now she just needs a K.43 front sight hood to finish her up. Is the scope mount #6329? Hard to read it accurately. Your stock is completely correct. Don’t try to “clean it”. I have an ac45 a block that looks just like that. It’s just 70 plus years of grime and grit.

Last edited:
She’s a gorgeous one! I had this one in my listings as of 2016 from pre98. Still has the gcb mag with it. Now she just needs a K.43 front sight hood to finish her up. Is the scope mount #6329? Hard to read it accurately. Your stock is completely correct. Don’t try to “clean it”. I have an ac45 a block that looks just like that. It’s just 70 plus years of grime and grit.

Correct! “6329”, on the scope base.

Thanks for the info on the stock. I was kind of thinking it was simply 70 years of grit/grime. Glad to hear.

I saw it also came from Pre-98, funny. Guess even the “worse” do sell a good one from time to time…

Also, thanks for pointing out the sight hood. I know G43/K43 has bigger ones than K98k’s. I thought it was a correct K43 one. My two K98k’s are pre war. Sold all my war time ones, before I got this K43. So I can’t compare it currently. Hmmm.. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for one. Maybe I’ll make a trader post. Would they be blued or phosphate? I would think either..

Attachments

• 3FFA2C1A-48D1-48C2-B4C8-5F1E67DC13C6.jpeg
    3FFA2C1A-48D1-48C2-B4C8-5F1E67DC13C6.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 21
Now that is slick with just the right amount of wear
I don’t use Imgur for anything. Just photos sometimes for forum related stuff. Guy comments on said photos:

“That rifle either saw a lot of combat or was not stored very well.”

Dumbfounded lol. Probably saw the rough forging, attributed that to wear. To your comment, “just the right amount of wear.”

I disagree with Tiger, I think that the stock has been oiled more recently. German soldiers certainly did oil their stocks, but when they did the slings were typically on them so the inside of the sling cut out will be a much lighter color. Also the proofs will still be in the white. Along with the scope rail cut out.

Does this make the rifle worthless, by not means. But to a collector like me it hurts the value some. No longer in the category of "untouched."

I don’t know. Mine is exactly like that, sling well and all. I could definitely see it as oil. Mine is lighter at the front but as it gets more and more to the back, the darker mine is.

This is how I generally like ac45 stocks to look. Berlin Lubecker stained stocks to the end, so different story there.

Attachments

• Stock WaA359_03.JPG
    Stock WaA359_03.JPG
    567.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Stock Wrist_01.JPG
    Stock Wrist_01.JPG
    481.4 KB · Views: 38
Interesting… my pic #27 looks very similar to the second one posted.

The finish on my gun is not 100% even. Some areas (where hand holding) of the firearm are darker. Less carried areas, are lighter.

If I remember correctly, the inside (disassembled) of the stock is pretty light colored.

Maybe I am more OCD than a German solider in 1945 (haha). But, if I am oiling my gun stock. I am getting every nook and cranny…

Wood takes stain and oil different. Some areas will take more stain than others.

Ryan’s rifle is textbook of what I like to see.

Mdarnell,

Funny enough. These photos are from a post you made. It’s under “similar threads”.

I don’t really see too much of a difference. Not unless this one is stained/oiled too?

Also! I loved seeing yours has a Gw ZF4 scope matched from the factory. I was thinking they used them into 1945. But, now it’s confirmed for me.

Attachments

• C302A582-2F52-4C3A-B7B8-75444A3E6DD9.jpeg
    C302A582-2F52-4C3A-B7B8-75444A3E6DD9.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 54341047-C065-4E3C-B99D-14370C169375.jpeg
    54341047-C065-4E3C-B99D-14370C169375.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 29
  • F89E5F3A-B634-4E2F-A9D4-CD4DABB8820E.jpeg
    F89E5F3A-B634-4E2F-A9D4-CD4DABB8820E.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 29
This is a rabbit hole you will never find the end of, stained, oiled, untouched are all different. All opinions are based on experience.

To me, your rifle was either stained or wiped with used motor oil, they look similar. I’ve done both to raw stripped stocks over the years (Reenactor guns).

Ryan’s is untouched.

The link from Matt’s is likely oiled.

None of the above are the kiss of death, sanding is imo the kiss of death.

Patrick, as I mentioned, the Germans definitely oiled stocks. I don't think I have ever seen an early rifle that wasn't oiled/stained. All the light colored ones you see are late war guns because they probably never left the factory.

The rifle you posted pictures of is an example of war time oiled stock. To my eye, yours looks more recent. As Farb mentioned, not a kiss of death. It takes time, looking at rifles in person to start to notice the difference.

Patrick, as I mentioned, the Germans definitely oiled stocks. I don't think I have ever seen an early rifle that wasn't oiled/stained. All the light colored ones you see are late war guns because they probably never left the factory.
The rifle you posted pictures of is an example of war time oiled stock. To my eye, yours looks more recent. As Farb mentioned, not a kiss of death. It takes time, looking at rifles in person to start to notice the difference.

Interesting. Appreciate the feedback. Nonetheless, I doubt I’ll find another one of these anytime soon. So this one is mine for the long haul.

This is a rabbit hole you will never find the end of, stained, oiled, untouched are all different. All opinions are based on experience.

To me, your rifle was either stained or wiped with used motor oil, they look similar. I’ve done both to raw stripped stocks over the years (Reenactor guns).

Ryan’s is untouched.

The link from Matt’s is likely oiled.

None of the above are the kiss of death, sanding is imo the kiss of death.

Towards the rabbit hole we all go

these stocks can darken just from the climate or conditions they are stored in.. Raw wood is like a sponge very porous and will absorb whatever it comes in contact with either directly or in directly.
One thing i always focus on is the sling cut out area and keeper area. You can always tell when you see a rifle and the sling was just removed. These areas are raw many times lighter than the rest of the stock. Cause ? the leather is acting as an insulator for the wood. The evenness of the darkening could just be from being stored in a damper or smokey climate. Wrist darkening is from handling the dirt and sweat from your hands will also darken the wood..
These late raw wood rifles are typically the only ones Id recommend handling with gloves.

Military Rifle Journal
Back