Third Party Press

K98 DOT 1944 8mm

DTK98

I recently acquired a DOT 1944 for my first k98. I am no expert and limited to research I have done online. I bought “Backbone of the Wehrmacht” and have not had time due to work to read it thoroughly besides the specific section covering this rifle, and would like eventually finish it and get more books and learn all I can about the history of these rifles and manufacturers. The history is very intriguing.

I know this is a pretty common rifle my only concern is authenticity and originality. How much the rifle may have been tampered with? From what I can tell all parts match up where there are numbers. I have not disassembled it yet. The stock has DOT and H cartouches (see photos). The stock is rather coarse to touch and not completely smooth. My only concerns are how clean it seems to be for that old of a rifle. It appears to have been well taken care of just by looking at it. Someone used white paint on the stamps. And I did not see any import marks.

Also, I was wondering whether or not the sling is authentic. I have no clue as to if it was original to the rifle or not. I would assume not. I found a “43” on it. It seems to the naked eye to be old enough, but also appears to me to be in pretty good condition for the age.

Id also like to maybe get a rough valuation in todays market as to price if I was to sell the rifle as is.

Due to being on the road working these are the only photos I have right now. Sorry they are not the greatest. I can get more if need be. I just really want to get some piece of mind with this being a legit k98 from 1944 and not a fake. I have the k98 bug now and would like to acquire more once I learn a bit more about them. Any information is appreciated.

Link below takes you to my Google Drive for photos.

The whole thing appears refinished to me. Brünn rifles had a very blue looking blued finish, versus the jet black polished blue finish on this one.

nice white glue laminated stock, but as above, looks to have been reblued & some cleaning of the stock, possibly some color applied to it. Even with a coating of oil, the metal finish is too smooth for a dot rifle this late; all over, but particularly the upper band, note how smooth the ‘ribs’ of the band are? the finish on these is typically more matte, & shows die marks from stamping. at least they didn’t sand the bumps flat, that’s an easy tell. that there’s a lot of contrast between the white glue stripes & wood isn’t unusual, but the brown color looks too new to me, it should be ‘duller’ to the eye, being 80 years old w/accumulated dirt. the stamps on the wood: something I learned from folks here, notice how the ‘bottom’ of the marks is very black? that’s a sign of cleaning, which moves the soil into the crevices. It isn’t a bubba job overall, but it isn’t untouched either. in the 1st 30 years after ww2, nobody thought much about what folks would think was important 50 years later.

This will give you an idea what the original finish on a DOT 44 would look like:

NAEIKg8h.jpg

My late DOT 44

Attachments

• IMG_20201013_161118680.jpeg
    IMG_20201013_161118680.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20201013_161319053.jpeg
    IMG_20201013_161319053.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20201013_161134060.jpeg
    IMG_20201013_161134060.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20201013_162715225.jpeg
    IMG_20201013_162715225.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 21
This will give you an idea what the original finish on a DOT 44 would look like:

NAEIKg8h.jpg
Just beautiful, love the white glue stocks. I've got an all matching dot 44, that was sanded and painted black when I bought it, so had no choice but to strip it and put blo on it but the metal is like new.

the google drive link worked for me this AM, but my son isn’t up yet, hoggin all the wifi! good instructional example when contrasted with other collector’s pix. but a new person, & we didn’t tell him what he was likely hoping to hear. (or give him a value) I get it though, as shown, there are some pretty fantastic rifles among the community here, can be pretty intimidating for someone hoping for good news.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'll tell the OP that "Backbone" has some outdated/incorrect information. The absolute best literature out there on the 98 is "Karabiner 98K" by Karem and Steves (mods here). If you have K98k fever (and it sounds like you do), don't hesitate to look for a set. Start with Vol. IIa/b.

Sadly these tend to be fishing expeditions, which is why I rarely bother to even post in threads like this...usually picked up cheap somewhere somehow, then just is either trollin', or trying to maximize flip value...

nice white glue laminated stock, but as above, looks to have been reblued & some cleaning of the stock, possibly some color applied to it. Even with a coating of oil, the metal finish is too smooth for a dot rifle this late; all over, but particularly the upper band, note how smooth the ‘ribs’ of the band are? the finish on these is typically more matte, & shows die marks from stamping. at least they didn’t sand the bumps flat, that’s an easy tell. that there’s a lot of contrast between the white glue stripes & wood isn’t unusual, but the brown color looks too new to me, it should be ‘duller’ to the eye, being 80 years old w/accumulated dirt. the stamps on the wood: something I learned from folks here, notice how the ‘bottom’ of the marks is very black? that’s a sign of cleaning, which moves the soil into the crevices. It isn’t a bubba job overall, but it isn’t untouched either. in the 1st 30 years after ww2, nobody thought much about what folks would think was important 50 years later.
Appreciate the information. I had the suspicion it wasn't completely untouched and to clean for the age. All in all I do like it for what and how it is. It may not be completely original looking as it did in 1944, but I am just happy to own a k98 at the moment. To me is a beautiful rifle. Ill just have to keep everything in mind next time
the google drive link worked for me this AM, but my son isn’t up yet, hoggin all the wifi! good instructional example when contrasted with other collector’s pix. but a new person, & we didn’t tell him what he was likely hoping to hear. (or give him a value) I get it though, as shown, there are some pretty fantastic rifles among the community here, can be pretty intimidating for someone hoping for good news.
No. Ive just been on the road for work Im a welder. 16 hr day no lunch. Not had time to read and reply yet. Its fine I appreciate all the information. Im still fine having heard the news still looks fine to me in the shape its in. May not be in its original state but I still like it personally. Next time I will know what to look for and be better prepared when i an searching for an all original DOT 1944. Ill read everyones posts threw more when I get some time away from work this week.

Sadly these tend to be fishing expeditions, which is why I rarely bother to even post in threads like this...usually picked up cheap somewhere somehow, then just is either trollin', or trying to maximize flip value...
No im genuinely interested in learning the history dont plan to flip. Ive just been working my butt off and not had time to read thoroughly and reply. Im out of town on the road

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'll tell the OP that "Backbone" has some outdated/incorrect information. The absolute best literature out there on the 98 is "Karabiner 98K" by Karem and Steves (mods here). If you have K98k fever (and it sounds like you do), don't hesitate to look for a set. Start with Vol. IIa/b.
Thats on my agenda next once I can find a decent price copy.

Military Rifle Journal
Back