Third Party Press

Kassel marked Danzig 1917 Gew98m

chrisftk

Staff member
Hi All,

Thought I would breathe a little life into the interwar section. This one was sitting on Gunbroker with a reasonable/cheap BIN, but lousy pics and the seller had it in a ugly shooter stock. Buried in the post, he mentioned that the duffle cut matching stock was also included. My guess is that folks didn't catch that tidbit because it sat longer than I thought a matching 98m should sit at a cheap price.

The rifle itself is a fairly standard 98m built off a 1917 Danzig, but it matches except for the front band, which was a replacement. I would imagine the original was lost after the dufflecut. The bayonet lug, rear band and fore end, however are matching. It doesn't win any beauty contests, but 98m with matching bolts don't grow on trees, so I was happy to add it to the interwar collection.

The wrist has several depot stamps, though the only legible one to the naked eye is Kassel (Kl 6). Also an old Koln mark on the buttplate from WW1. I'll try to look closer with a magnifying glass at the other marks when the light is better.

The stock overall has a nice pleasing color (kroneol finish typical of these later Danzigs) and was unmolested, save the dufflecut.

Anyway, thanks for looking and Merry Christmas.

IMG_20211214_213012009.jpgIMG_20211214_213053041.jpgIMG_20211214_213107916.jpgIMG_20211214_213118775.jpgIMG_20211214_213125448.jpgIMG_20211214_213236461.jpgIMG_20211214_213251201.jpgIMG_20211214_213301626.jpgIMG_20211214_213308614.jpgIMG_20211214_213316548.jpgIMG_20211214_213319991.jpgIMG_20211214_213355816.jpgIMG_20211214_213402708.jpgIMG_20211214_213437033.jpgIMG_20211214_213443434.jpg

Last edited:
That is a nice find Chris. I have not collected the 98m but have seen enough of them to know they are quite difficult to find all matching, especially the bolt. I hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas. Thank you for all your imformative posts.

Very nice. Those are a bit more gratifying because a little bit of detective work (i.e. carefully reading the entire ad) paid off. Good looking rifle. Now, go get her a sling so she doesn't look so...naked.

These are certainly rarely encountered, - I agree with Dan that a it pays to actually read the descriptions!

As rare as these are the really impossible ones are the earlier variations, most that do exist in anything approaching matching are the RM variations, - I say variations because the RM's often have little quirks that do not even seem to have similarities within the sub-group of the "RM" variation.

In so far as rarity establishes value, these have it (that), even a little of the other element of calculation (demand) would quickly make these impossible to find or afford.

I remember seeing this rifle on Gunbroker Chris. I almost thought about bidding on it. But already had the cool LK5 1916 Danzig Gew98 with the Simson barrel. So took a pass on it but glad to see one of us got this rifle. Very nice buddy!

Nice grab Chris. I believe I remember seeing this one too. Looks like a nice rifle and it went to a good home.

That is a nice find Chris. I have not collected the 98m but have seen enough of them to know they are quite difficult to find all matching, especially the bolt. I hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas. Thank you for all your imformative posts.
Thanks Rick, these have been a slight focus for me. Bolt mm are nice in their own right for these, but I really try to go for any matching ones I run across. I've always been a fan of Depot reworks and these 98m just ooze history!
Very nice. Those are a bit more gratifying because a little bit of detective work (i.e. carefully reading the entire ad) paid off. Good looking rifle. Now, go get her a sling so she doesn't look so...naked.
Thanks, i tend to be opportunistic with slings. I'll buy if a nice one turns up for a fair price.

These are certainly rarely encountered, - I agree with Dan that a it pays to actually read the descriptions!

As rare as these are the really impossible ones are the earlier variations, most that do exist in anything approaching matching are the RM variations, - I say variations because the RM's often have little quirks that do not even seem to have similarities within the sub-group of the "RM" variation.

In so far as rarity establishes value, these have it (that), even a little of the other element of calculation (demand) would quickly make these impossible to find or afford.
Thanks Paul-- it's been a lucky year for these. I've stumbled on this and a nice matching Amberg 98m with EWB stock-- I know Jordan found a nice one too. Unusual to see that many pop up so close together, but we are in the midst of a generational shift in the hobby. Lots of good stuff coming to market.

I remember seeing this rifle on Gunbroker Chris. I almost thought about bidding on it. But already had the cool LK5 1916 Danzig Gew98 with the Simson barrel. So took a pass on it but glad to see one of us got this rifle. Very nice buddy!
Thanks, I remember the one you picked up. Definitely a Nice example.

Military Rifle Journal
Back