Third Party Press

late war Appel assembled kits

Frysk

Interesting kits,
cnx waA20
CNX waA20 compared with ab44 & cmr44 and matches the cmr44
arr4 waA20 top latch marked

Both cnx marked have late war guts so i assume they are late war, since no date is pressent on the behälter.
Glad to add these to the collection.
Kind regards,
Frysk

00D404EB-AF79-42D2-B783-B75672CC4DCE.jpeg4EA95647-ED40-46B4-A275-0CCCD77DE65E.jpegF6E706EF-AAD3-47DB-A094-6389009C587F.jpeg982E5743-5CF4-49FE-B0A2-E4099F08F579.jpeg

pwcosol

Here is a older and very informative URL on the late G. Appel & Braunschweigische "arr" behalter:

Last edited:

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
Yes, most are identical inside but really late ones have different chains.

Slash

Gray Ghost Moderator
Staff member
Yes, most are identical inside but really late ones have different chains.

And different oil bottles and many or perhaps most without the HKW (tool). My thoughts only .....

I'm addicted like mrfarb. These are great kits.

Scharf

More pictures : it's not cleaned and hasn't been messed with

Attachments

• IMG_20220626_215152.jpg
    IMG_20220626_215152.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220626_215207.jpg
    IMG_20220626_215207.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220626_215219.jpg
    IMG_20220626_215219.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 24

Slash

Gray Ghost Moderator
Staff member
Interesting kits,
arr4 waA20 top latch marked

The arr4 behälter with WaA20 markings on the main/large compartment lid is another very hard variation to find. These were some of the last cans by Braunschweigische with WaA markings prior to the conversion to tan paint. Thanks for posting ......

Scharf

I honestly had no idea they were this uncommon. I wanted one with the cnx markings close to the latch as I knew they were late war. I have learned a great deal, I'm once more thankful.

Scharf

Yes it's a nice kit, and I know where it comes from now, it's been found in an attic quite recently in the Vosges region eastern France. I like to be able to trace back items that were used in the latter stages of the war.

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
There is some confusion on this thread. cnx with no wa20 are considered late, they begin to show up early, like 41 I believe but have a Waffenamt. You have to differentiate between cnx with small font and CNX with the larger thin letters. Those with the large thin CNX are 45 assembled imo.

Scharf

The other difference as well is that the cnx markings on yours are in the usual location, the ones where it's close to the center of the lid I've always read were late war.

Slash

Gray Ghost Moderator
Staff member
Yes, the marking locations and styles are important. I agree with both mrfarb and Scharf here. The cnx (lower case) cans begin in early 1941 replacing the 64 coded kits. They run from that period to probably 1945. A very few early cans are found marked cnx on the right side of the lid like the 64 cans. This quickly changed to the cnx marking on the left side of the lid almost always with SWE WaA20 on the right. Their last cans have the cnx marking again on the left but moved closer to the center of the lid. Scharf's can as shown in post #8 and #11 is an example of this late version. There are also differences (shortcuts) to the internal construction.

The CNX kits are a completely different series. The CNX (upper case) marking will be found on the right side of the lid. Some are marked with a WaA20 on the left side. The middle can in Frysk's original post is an example of this can. It is believed these kits were assembled by G. Appel with parts/components received from Hawig and Mundlos. The construction of the CNX cans is different than the G. Appel made cnx marked versions. The CNX kits date from very late 1944 into '45 as noted by mrfarb.

All of the cnx and CNX cans are undated.

Military Rifle Journal