Third Party Press

Looking to go full auto (MP-40)

mike44f

I've gotten to a point where soon I can/will be in the position to knock another thing off my bucket list, buying a transferrable MP40. I know the prices now are high and keep getting higher, but I also know its expected due to the fact there is a limited number that only goes down and not up. I'm really making this post to hear from others here who have the luxury of having one of these fine smg's. I know someone who has one and he's said that it would probably be one of the last he lets go out of his collection of over 24 full autos. I was in the process of building a semi from an original lower section but me being a purist, and the fact parts are increasingly going higher and higher it didn't make sense financially after a while.

Basically just looking for pros and cons from those who have a full auto MP40. I have a few guns I would be selling off to cushion this sale and I feel that would be worth doing for what it is. I've always feared being stuck in the form 3 process if some kind of new legislation were to come down the pipe. I know the cons of the gun itself as far as parts and mags etc.. but do some feel there are cons with owning a full auto in general?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows of someone or other places that are offline that are looking to sell one I'd definitely be interested in what they have. I've been making a list of the ones that I have found through online searches from major dealers. Thanks in advance!

Mike

This MGC has a considerable inventory that is always changing. Have seen many MP40’s go through here. FYI.
There are quite a few tube guns on the market as well that are less expensive
They have 2 currently

Dayum! $18,700 for a tube gun. Think I paid 3k for mine.
As far as cons of owning, there are strict laws governing travel with them (other than local) and any change of your residence must be updated and approved . I have never had any problems or “visits “ in the 25 years I have possessed mine. MP40 parts are everywhere and there are machinist who make new barrels.
Keep your original barrel on the side. New made magazines will function in these as well.
The only real problem these days is feeding time with the price of ammo.

Last edited:
I have a tube gun. Not a single person that has ever looked at it said anything other than how cool it was. My point is get the tube gun and spend the extra cash on ammo vs c&r guns. I have shot a lot of mg’s and this is the most iconic of all ww2 mg’s. Everyone knows what it is too when you pull it out. And its fun to shoot, blanks or live. Cons, none. Lots of mags available for them, and you can shoot Walmart 9mm white box ammo in it.

Definitely appreciate the quick replies guys! Now enlighten me some on the tube guns. To my knowledge these are transferrable guns that have non WWII receiver tubes correct? I saw some last year selling on gunbroker, made by Wilson arms in Brunswick Ga. This is what you're referring to when you say tube guns right? Im totally ok with those. I'm a purist but I'm also trying to be as cost efficient as possible.

Mine is a Wilson. They made quite a few. They run flawlessly. All German parts on a new tube like you said. I have all matching parts for mine. But found a very early 122 1940 code parts kit (still serial numbered like an MP38) and put all those parts on the tube. Good luck in your quest.

Attachments

• 4099E3D9-71B9-461B-9E4C-ACB79050D321.jpeg
    4099E3D9-71B9-461B-9E4C-ACB79050D321.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 41
Yes, receiver tube is new made. It’s not a collectible like a matched 98k, but if you want to save money and still enjoy it’s a great way to go. Mines an Erb tube with a matching bnz43 kit on it. People I know with c&r guns will put a parts kit on the tube and shoot them- no harm, but even more expense.

Indeed it's definitely one of my favorites and I also thank Mike for teaching me some information about MP40 magazines at the SOS show. He showed me an interesting observation. It was how to tell the earlier MP40 magazine that were reworked to the later style. Pretty unique we found a couple like that at the show.

Here I’ll help out, your pain will be the form 4, not the form 3.

Also get a trust, that’s my opinion.

Buddy of mine has a tube MP-40 made by Charlie Erb. You cant tell a difference less you take it apart.

If you want an original to look at sure get on original
If you want to shoot it regularly get a tube gun. There is nothing wrong with them and are indistinguishable from a glance.

Buddy of mine has a tube MP-40 made by Charlie Erb. You cant tell a difference less you take it apart.

If you want an original to look at sure get on original
If you want to shoot it regularly get a tube gun. There is nothing wrong with them and are indistinguishable from a glance.
Also file for an electronic Form 4. The wait time is about 120 days compared to paper form 4 at +350 days

Some of the "tube guns" are original receivers that were illegal, but then pre-1986 "manufactured" into saleable MPs.

Guy's thanks for all the quick responses. I planned to do the efile whenever the time comes, and I always get those two form numbers mixed up. Im definitely ok with a tube gun, like I said I like to be a purist when possible but in this realm Im ok with having one that was at least saved and made back to its original configuration in order to fire.

Again, all the responses are greatly appreciated!

All matching original MP-40s for sale have gotten so incredibly rare. The large auction houses will offer just a few a year. They cost what they cost. You'll be really happy if you can find one. They're truly great guns. Mine is pictured below. It's an all-matching bnz 41 example that I've had for thirty years. Paid $2,700 for it and thought at the time that it was very expensive. These were hard to find in nice shape even then:

Attachments

• MVC-096S.JPG
    MVC-096S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Dayum! $18,700 for a tube gun. Think I paid 3k for mine.
As far as cons of owning, there are strict laws governing travel with them (other than local) and any change of your residence must be updated and approved . I have never had any problems or “visits “ in the 25 years I have possessed mine. MP40 parts are everywhere and there are machinist who make new barrels.
Keep your original barrel on the side. New made magazines will function in these as well.
The only real problem these days is feeding time with the price of ammo.
Reload your own ammo - much cheaper - if you need less velocity or more (or more energy) you can do this your self.

Military Rifle Journal
Back