Third Party Press

Mauser ES340B information needed

reich1900

I just bought this nice ES340B and know next to nothing about these 22s, I collect k98k's. The ser# is 199xxx and has just the eagle N proof markings and barrel mark of A45 or 46. I'd like to know when it was made and how hard it would be to get a sight hood, sling, and scope for it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Bernie

GEM

I did a quick check of Jon Speed's book on Mauser Smallbore Rifles. Your serial number is in the later range. The appendix list shows 199341 as the highest number listed. Not clear from the text but it appears yours was probably made in late 1939. Other members may be able to clarify.

Original 22mm diameter scopes by various makers are not that hard to find but mounts are very problematic. Unlike modern scopes these scopes only have elevation adjustment. Windage adjustment is in the base. Mounts rarely show up on Ebay. However, if you want to mount a modern scope, CZ markets mounts with proper 11mm dovetail for 1' diameter scopes. But be aware that the high position of the bolt handle upon opening requires that the scope be mounted high enough for clearance.

Front site hoods: These hoods are pretty universal for Oberndorf-made large and small caliber sporting rifles. Originals are impossible to find. However, the hoods from the French made Mauser .22 training rifle are identical except that they are parkerized instead of blued. I have also found that FN commercial rifle hoods are a pretty close match but are also hard to find.

Original slings are not available. I am always on the lookout at shows for older European commercial sling. However, the French Mauser .22 trainer sling is a good substitute as the slide buckle is close to the German design. Only thing I don't like about them is the color and the buckle is riveted, not stitched. Romanian .22 trainer slings are also an option.

reich1900

GEM, thank you very much for all the information. I find that you said that Jon Speed's appendix shows that 199341 is the highest number listed interesting and needs a change as mine is 199366 only 25 higher. With all the information that you gave me I now know what to look for. I bought the gun as a project it had a clogged barrel. I thought that there must have been a bullet in the barrel which I hoped to be able to remove. Well, I was partially correct there was not one but 4. I first measured with my cleaning rod for the muzzle, it went in about 5 in. then from the breach. I found that there was a distance of about 6 in. difference so there has to be another bullet. I taped the rod and to my surprise, it moved so I continued tapping. First, one then two then three, and finely four. They were pellet size which I have never seen before. Anyhow after cleaning the barrel, it is mint. I shot the gun at 100yds. with a great grouping. This gun is definitely a keeper. Thanks again GEM for all the information.

GEM

Pellets: Maybe someone tried to shoot .22 CB or BB cartridges and there was not enough propellant to get them down the bore? Don't see CB and BB ammo much anymore. They are shorter than .22 shorts.

Military Rifle Journal